A policeman took my ADR virginity!

dcgpx:
Too much time on my hands that day!!

Hi dcgpx,

The more I read this bit,^^^ the more I tend to agree. :laughing: :wink:

dcgpx:
Still think my firms not quite doing it right though but dont want to be the one in ■■■ ■■■ if I neecd to be doing something I’m not aware off

Now here’s an example of where you might be overthinking this a bit… you said that your firm is a ‘middle’ carrier, and that the goods were on an international (and multi-modal) journey, yet you looked at a British way of doing retail distribution. :open_mouth:

Dangerous goods transport law is quite complicated, there’s no avoiding that.
However, the responsibilities are all legally divided out on a common-sense basis so that they end up where they belong.

You can sleep safely mate, because it’s the sender and the carrier that actually carry most of the responsibilities. :smiley:

Cheers DD for time looking at it for me.

One quick question - do I need markers if carrying more than 8t of LQ in one go? Still not sure on that part

dcgpx:
Cheers DD for time looking at it for me.

One quick question - do I need markers if carrying more than 8t of LQ in one go? Still not sure on that part

Hi dcgpx,

A vehicle that has a permitted GVW of more than 12t needs LQ markings if it’s carrying more than 8t of LQs.

The driver of said vehicle needs to have ADR ‘awareness,’ which has been documented, but does not need an ADR licence.

No other ADR vehicle equipment or documentation is needed, regardless of the amount of LQs carried.

:bulb: Now just before you head off to the placard shop… it’s not down to you to supply the vehicle markings. :laughing: :wink:

Cheers DD - really appreciate your help

Quick Resurrection - got TM to ask our designated DGSA to verify what we can carry and according to TM reply back was we are ok without any markings as the vehicle has an ‘unladen’ weight less than 12t so requirement only applies to artics!■■

Not seen actual reply yet, couldn’t ask for laughing at ineptitude of completely misunderstanding what I asked them to verify.

I’ll get a look at it tomorrow and see what really was put as reply.

Wonder at times why something so simple can be so hard!!

dcgpx:
Quick Resurrection - got TM to ask our designated DGSA to verify what we can carry and according to TM reply back was we are ok without any markings as the vehicle has an ‘unladen’ weight less than 12t so requirement only applies to artics!■■

Hi dcgpx,

I’ve heard of the word “unladen” being put into the discussion before, so this isn’t the first time.

Meanwhile, this is what ADR actually says about it:

ADR 3.4.13 (a) Transport units with a maximum mass exceeding 12 tonnes carrying dangerous goods packed in limited quantities shall be marked …

ADR 3.4.14 Markings specified in 3.4.13 may be dispensed with, if the total gross mass of the packages containing dangerous goods packed in limited quantities carried does not exceed 8 tonnes per transport unit.

I checked the .gov site, which refers to the HSE site, which refers to ADR. (Surprise, surprise… not.)
:bulb: The HSE is one of the enforcing authorities for ADR.

If somebody else can come up with something credible, then… we’ll see.

Hi all
Can anyone help answer a question regarding dangerous goods notes, I have looked through various topics on this subject and can’t find the answer.
I was asked to take an empty container into Southampton docks and collected a class 4.1 hazardous container and take it back to the yard. The question is are you allowed the carry dangerous goods notes in the truck when you are not carrying the hazardous load, and is it permissible to carry multiple dangerous goods notes in a seal folder stating that the notes are not for the load in transit,
Any help on this subject would be grateful

thanks in advance Michael.

michael59:
Hi all
Can anyone help answer a question regarding dangerous goods notes, I have looked through various topics on this subject and can’t find the answer.
I was asked to take an empty container into Southampton docks and collected a class 4.1 hazardous container and take it back to the yard. The question is are you allowed the carry dangerous goods notes in the truck when you are not carrying the hazardous load, and is it permissible to carry multiple dangerous goods notes in a seal folder stating that the notes are not for the load in transit,
Any help on this subject would be grateful

thanks in advance Michael.

Hi michael59,

I’m assuming that you had the correct DGN for the box containing the Class 4.1 stuff??

The rest of the paperwork (old delivery notes etc) is allowed to be on board the vehicle in the manner you described simply because ADR doesn’t prohibit you from doing that.

The sealed envelope marked “not in use” is a good idea to avoid any possible confusion in the event of an accident.

Blimey, I thought for a second I’d lost my virginity, AGAIN! :open_mouth:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: