A.E. Stuart & Sons Livestock Hauliers

aecinsalop:
The AEC (GNT 163 N) pictured here in this section was bought new by Geoff Parry (M.J.Parry & Sons) as AEC Mandator long wheelbase, drawbar spec and towing a Doughty drawbar trailer, both fitted with plywood 3 deck sheep bodies made by Geoff Parry in his own bodyshop at Bayston Hill. Charlie Edwards drove this vehicle from new. We ran a matching outfit converted from a AEC mammoth Minor twin steer tractor unit (KUJ 311 F), again fitted with 3 deck sheep bodies, this was driven by Paul Cadwallader, another youngster (at the that time). I do not have any pictures of KUJ 311F when converted to a long wheelbase drawbar 6 wheeler. The AEC Mustang pictured outside Barrets and Baird, PSA 304 is now in the porcess of being restored, and hopefully will be fitted with replica Thornes 22ft 3 deck body. I will post pictures as soon as we have fitted the cab…The AEC Mercury (303 DLW) I show at the moment is fitted with a Crump (Wrexham) body, we only had one from this bodybuilder. The vehicle and body are an exact replica to KHG 832 AEC Mercury with Crump body ran in the 1960s, and driven by Bill Bufton!! The rest of the bodies were all Thornes of Dorrington, until Geoff Parry started his own body shop in the early 1970s. Thats all for now…

Hello AEC,

Many thanks for your message & for solving the ‘confusion’ over the origins of Stuart’s Mandator, I will pass your message on to my Uncle. I had hoped to speak to you at Gaydon, but each time I was down by the Mercury there was nobody around. Will you be at Onslow Park at the end of the month?

My Uncle also had this photograph of the Mandator, before it was repainted - I guess this is how you remember it?

I notice there is no front hitch in this photograph, presumably this was a ‘Devonian’ addition?

Anyway, thanks again for your message. Best regards, Andrew Stone

Thanks for that andrew, I was very busy at Gaydon marshalling the exhibitors etc, I will be at Onslow Park you will find me in the commentators pavillion between 10.30 and 1pm. What news of Roy and Ross Stuart, are still operating, we worked together in 1970s reloading each others vehicles from all over the country, Stuarts were regular visitors to Bayston Hill to reload and re fuel etc… I did see most of there Volvo’s throughout the seventies, not a picture taken!! What happened to Treverva Transport, I know that we bought one of there double deck trailers!
Andrew, please bring your photos, I will bring mine too! I can burn you a disc I live within a mile of the show…
David Parry

aecinsalop:
Thanks for that andrew, I was very busy at Gaydon marshalling the exhibitors etc, I will be at Onslow Park you will find me in the commentators pavillion between 10.30 and 1pm. What news of Roy and Ross Stuart, are still operating, we worked together in 1970s reloading each others vehicles from all over the country, Stuarts were regular visitors to Bayston Hill to reload and re fuel etc… I did see most of there Volvo’s throughout the seventies, not a picture taken!! What happened to Treverva Transport, I know that we bought one of there double deck trailers!
Andrew, please bring your photos, I will bring mine too! I can burn you a disc I live within a mile of the show…
David Parry

Thanks for your message Mr Parry. As you may know, Stuarts still hold the Volvo Truck & Bus agency for the Westcountry, operated from the site at Clyst St Mary where they ran the lorries & had the lairidge. I believe that this is where Ross is involved mostly. They fatten a fair amount of cattle & also run contract farming & an agricultural contracting business out of Hill Barton. This is one of Roy, & his Son Troy’s, area of activity. Sadly their father Alf (A.E.) Stuart passed away only a few weeks ago.

I will try to get hold of my Uncle’s photographs for Onslow weekend. I’ve been speaking to him this evening & he say’s he can remember coming to your yard. He also said that he remembers you running Seddon Atkinsons at the time. My Mum & Dad should be up from Honiton for the Bank Holiday Weekend & the Rally. Incidentlly, Dad was at school with Roy & they used to get about together a fair bit. Some years later, when they were old enough to drive, they took Alf’s Thames Trader to Pitlochry to collect a horse!

Anyway, hope to see you at Onslow, Andrew Stone.

A lot of the reason that there are a lot of Renaults running is that many of the firms used to run Dodges & stayed with that dealer (Devon County Commercials in this case) when the had to be replaced.

And they were also agents for Houghtons livestock containers

Stuarts one and only delivery into us when I worked at home was in the early hours of a Saturday morning in that blistering summer of 1976. The driver rang in after leaving the M62 and my brother went out in the car to lead him in.It was a double decker full of breakers and we still had to do the usual killing to do so they had a few days respite.A local carrier with a Super Comet went down for a few more loads in the next couple of weeks and thats all we ever had from that area.Ido remember him saying the fields looked as if they had been burnt.

Evening All,

My Uncle has unearthed some more photo’s of his time at AE Stuarts & I have finally got around to scanning them today. I hope they will be of interest to some of you.

This is the second TK that he drove for Stuart’s.

This line up include the AEC Mandator GNT163N & it’s ‘drag’ that was originally operated by MJ Parry of Bayston Hill, Shropshire. The furthest D Series Ford is still in the livery of Exeter Cattle Transport (Langford’s) who were bought out by Stuart’s.

This AEC was one of two that can to Stuart’s when they bought Exeter Cattle Transport. This one was converted into a wrecker, the other was run on as a livestock lorry.

Another shot of BFJ960T, the F12 that my Uncle drove from new.

Another of BFJ960T with Stuart Snow’s (Andover) F10. These last two will go on the F10, F12, F16 thread.

Hope you like them! Andrew Stone

Pebbles 74:
Evening All,

My Uncle has unearthed some more photo’s of his time at AE Stuarts & I have finally got around to scanning them today. I hope they will be of interest to some of you.

This line up include the AEC Mandator GNT163N & it’s ‘drag’ that was originally operated by MJ Parry of Bayston Hill, Shropshire. The furthest D Series Ford is still in the livery of Exeter Cattle Transport (Langford’s) who were bought out by Stuart’s.

This AEC was one of two that can to Stuart’s when they bought Exeter Cattle Transport. This one was converted into a wrecker, the other was run on as a livestock lorry.

Another of BFJ960T with Stuart Snow’s (Andover) F10. These last two will go on the F10, F12, F16 thread.

More nice photos, thanks for posting them.

BB

Hello Pebbles
I can add a little information to your latest pictures. In the first photo taken in the old market in Exeter, where Marty is standing in front of the Bedford TK, Exeter Cattle Transport’s AEC is in the background. This is the breakdown truck that appears below, the livestock box (built by Mannings at Dawlish) was removed and fitted to the Ford D series that appears in one of the other photos. In March 1977 we bought this lorry from Roy Stuart, with the intention of fitting the box to a newer chassis. However, the deal on the planned replacement fell through and so GFJ521D had to soldier on. At the time, most of the drivers at Stuarts were afraid to go further than Exeter Mkt with it. Bill Bevan at Exeter Commercials fitted a new set of injectors and a second-hand power steering ram and off it went to France, then Aberdeen the following week. In all it continued until October before it was replaced and then it continued for a while as a flat lorry. I still have the old EXeter Cattle Transport nameboard in my garage, though it has had Sherberton Transport written on it for many years.
Peter

Pebbles 74:
Evening All,

Do you remember this one?

Gills were mentioned on another thread - can anyone tell me which one?

Peter Coaker:
Hello Pebbles
I can add a little information to your latest pictures. In the first photo taken in the old market in Exeter, where Marty is standing in front of the Bedford TK, Exeter Cattle Transport’s AEC is in the background. This is the breakdown truck that appears below, the livestock box (built by Mannings at Dawlish) was removed and fitted to the Ford D series that appears in one of the other photos. In March 1977 we bought this lorry from Roy Stuart, with the intention of fitting the box to a newer chassis. However, the deal on the planned replacement fell through and so GFJ521D had to soldier on. At the time, most of the drivers at Stuarts were afraid to go further than Exeter Mkt with it. Bill Bevan at Exeter Commercials fitted a new set of injectors and a second-hand power steering ram and off it went to France, then Aberdeen the following week. In all it continued until October before it was replaced and then it continued for a while as a flat lorry. I still have the old EXeter Cattle Transport nameboard in my garage, though it has had Sherberton Transport written on it for many years.
Peter

Hello Peter,

Many thanks for your comments. I’ll pass them on to Martin.

Regards, Andrew

Neil B:

Hello Neil B,

Here is any earlier one of GL Gill & Sons & a similar one from AE Stuarts:

The box on the eight wheeler was originally fitted to a six wheeler… :open_mouth: Later on it was fitted to the F7 (photographed by 143topline) above.

Both of these cuttings were ‘borrowed’ from Bubbleman’s excellent Scrapbook Memories thread.

All the best! Andrew

Neil B:

gills are mentioned on the devon hauliers thread. my mates father worked for gills not sure the first name but is son is called Ian Yabsley (yabbo to all ) works for wains of kentisbury now sadly his father past away in 2009.

Basilbrush:

Pebbles 74:
Evening All,
ask marty if he can remember stalling the TK going over the speed ramp in gordano services one night, gave us all a right good laugh looking outside as he came thundering in late one night.

More nice photos, thanks for posting them.

BB

Nice to see that A E Stuarts are fondly remembered it was a great shame when Roy decided enough is enough.I travelled miles with the drivers as being only 15 at the time and found that all the volvos they had f86s f88s f10 12 ect were great trucks and i can vaguely remember when ross had a scania 110 but it did’nt last to long as the volvos were probably the the best trucks around at the time and their livery and many lights made them stand out many miles ahead,Im sure the first f88s were only 230bhpwith the silver grills then 240bhp with the black grills, then of coarse along came the 290bhps which at the time were so much better to other makes especially with two decks of cattle as they made the hills so much easier to climb. when I passed my hgv1 i drove for roy and enjoyed it very much but like i say good things must come to and end i suppose but i look back to those days and im happy that i with stuarts fleet and was proud to be a part of such a fantastic team of drivers and wonder what they are up to now.
thanks…toplineruk

toplineruk:
Nice to see that A E Stuarts are fondly remembered it was a great shame when Roy decided enough is enough.I travelled miles with the drivers as being only 15 at the time and found that all the volvos they had f86s f88s f10 12 ect were great trucks and i can vaguely remember when ross had a scania 110 but it did’nt last to long as the volvos were probably the the best trucks around at the time and their livery and many lights made them stand out many miles ahead,Im sure the first f88s were only 230bhpwith the silver grills then 240bhp with the black grills, then of coarse along came the 290bhps which at the time were so much better to other makes especially with two decks of cattle as they made the hills so much easier to climb. when I passed my hgv1 i drove for roy and enjoyed it very much but like i say good things must come to and end i suppose but i look back to those days and im happy that i with stuarts fleet and was proud to be a part of such a fantastic team of drivers and wonder what they are up to now.
thanks…toplineruk

Hello toplineruk, thanks for your message(s).

Uncle Martin now drives a Scania four-wheeler for Halse of Honiton, delivering farm machinery all over the South West & sometimes further afield. He drove for my Dad - RGS Stone of Fenny Bridges for many years after Stuarts finished. After that he worked variously for Chris Siddle (Heathpark Commercials of Honiton - Chris can be seen leaning on the rear wheel of Stuarts AEC Wrecker), Bakers the slaughterhouse / butchers from Honiton delivering meat to Smithfield & London butchers shops, he drove for a couple of the JL Thomas owner drivers collecting rendering waste. He also had a few years for ANC taking the parcels from Axminster Power Tools to the distribution hub in Stoke. Finally he had a stint for South West Highways driving a sweeper on the resurfacing gang, then Halses.

Last I heard Tom Moore was working for Roy’s Son Troy on the farming & agricultural contracting side. I believe Ross is stil involved with the Volvo Truck & Bus dealership.

Anyway, all the best Andrew Stone

How about this then…

This is a recent image from Bubbleman’s ‘Scrapbook Memories’ thread & is apparently a cutting from a Volvo parts / service brochure. Many thanks Marcus.

I have wondered if the photograph was taken when the wreker was new due to absence of a front number plate? I also wonder if this may be the origin of the wreker that Stuarts run today, which has the later version of the F12 cab fitted. That vehicle was in the Steelboys area at Gaydon last year. Can anybody shed any light on it?

All the best, Andrew Stone.

Pebbles 74:
How about this then…

This is a recent image from Bubbleman’s ‘Scrapbook Memories’ thread & is apparently a cutting from a Volvo parts / service brochure. Many thanks Marcus.

I have wondered if the photograph was taken when the wreker was new due to absence of a front number plate? I also wonder if this may be the origin of the wreker that Stuarts run today, which has the later version of the F12 cab fitted. That vehicle was in the Steelboys area at Gaydon last year. Can anybody shed any light on it?

I think that photo was taken 1980? Andrew when the wrecker had just been built, and I seem to remember Tom and Ross built it from a tractor unit and the F10 hitched up to is GTA 721V which sadly soon after met its demise on the M3 when it hit a loaded 8 wheeler up the rear and im not sure but i seem to recall GTA blew a turbo comming up out of Oakhampton and the wrecker went down to tow it home and this was before the bypass was built.As for the registration it was run on trade plates as far as i can remember and later changed as I think the law changed and everything had to be registered.The lifting gear was quite new for the period as it was underslung pickup because Stuarts bought it for the picking up of coaches mainly for when Trathens coaches were running double deck coaches and Stuarts did the repairs for them and at the time most coaches could only be recovered by underslung pickups which as you can see just lifted the front axle straight off the ground.
Thanks…toplineruk

toplineruk:

Pebbles 74:
How about this then…

I think that photo was taken 1986? Andrew when the wrecker had just been built, and I seem to remember Tom and Ross built it from a tractor unit and the F10 hitched up to is GTA 721V which sadly soon after met its demise on the M3 when it hit a loaded 8 wheeler up the rear and im not sure but i seem to recall GTA blew a turbo comming up out of Oakhampton and the wrecker went down to tow it home and this was before the bypass was built.As for the registration it was run on trade plates as far as i can remember and later changed as I think the law changed and everything had to be registered.The lifting gear was quite new for the period as it was underslung pickup because Stuarts bought it for the picking up of coaches mainly for when Trathens coaches were running double deck coaches and Stuarts did the repairs for them and at the time most coaches could only be recovered by underslung pickups which as you can see just lifted the front axle straight off the ground.
Thanks…toplineruk

i dont think it was 1986 , stuarts last new lorry was on a y plate i believe the f7 lorry and drag that john watts had , which johns son michael was killed by in 1988. it is the same vehicle that was at gaydon it was taken by James voysey (wilf ) who usually drives it on recoverys for stuarts as he is one of there fitters. james as got that erf thats done up in frank tuckers livery. back to the f12 it was given a fresh cab sometime in the mid to late 90s .

ANNIES PRIDE:

toplineruk:

Pebbles 74:
How about this then…

I think that photo was taken 1980? Andrew when the wrecker had just been built, and I seem to remember Tom and Ross built it from a tractor unit and the F10 hitched up to is GTA 721V which sadly soon after met its demise on the M3 when it hit a loaded 8 wheeler up the rear and im not sure but i seem to recall GTA blew a turbo comming up out of Oakhampton and the wrecker went down to tow it home and this was before the bypass was built.As for the registration it was run on trade plates as far as i can remember and later changed as I think the law changed and everything had to be registered.The lifting gear was quite new for the period as it was underslung pickup because Stuarts bought it for the picking up of coaches mainly for when Trathens coaches were running double deck coaches and Stuarts did the repairs for them and at the time most coaches could only be recovered by underslung pickups which as you can see just lifted the front axle straight off the ground.
Thanks…toplineruk

i dont think it was 1986 , stuarts last new lorry was on a y plate i believe the f7 lorry and drag that john watts had , which johns son michael was killed by in 1988. it is the same vehicle that was at gaydon it was taken by James voysey (wilf ) who usually drives it on recoverys for stuarts as he is one of there fitters. james as got that erf thats done up in frank tuckers livery. back to the f12 it was given a fresh cab sometime in the mid to late 90s .

toplineruk:

ANNIES PRIDE:

toplineruk:

Pebbles 74:
How about this then…

I think that photo was taken 1986? Andrew when the wrecker had just been built, and I seem to remember Tom and Ross built it from a tractor unit and the F10 hitched up to is GTA 721V which sadly soon after met its demise on the M3 when it hit a loaded 8 wheeler up the rear and im not sure but i seem to recall GTA blew a turbo comming up out of Oakhampton and the wrecker went down to tow it home and this was before the bypass was built.As for the registration it was run on trade plates as far as i can remember and later changed as I think the law changed and everything had to be registered.The lifting gear was quite new for the period as it was underslung pickup because Stuarts bought it for the picking up of coaches mainly for when Trathens coaches were running double deck coaches and Stuarts did the repairs for them and at the time most coaches could only be recovered by underslung pickups which as you can see just lifted the front axle straight off the ground.
Thanks…toplineruk

I blame my keypad but I meant to say 1980 so thanks for pointing that to me and I do recall when John Watts so was killed whilst uncoupling the drag trailer a very sad day indeed. THANKS toplineruk