A drivers attitude

What the o/p.says his boss asked them to do comes under the remit of part of their job., so why would they get all arsey about doing something like move a few trailers, they are getting paid for it ffs. :unamused:

lā€™ve worked for a couple of really good firms, so because of the fact they were more than good with me, doing what was considered part of my job went without question, but I would also regularly go that extra mile without question.also,.any favours over and above were done by me automatically, not a problem.
And Iā€™ve got a reference from them that validates what I have saidā€¦ā€˜ā€˜Model employeeā€™ā€™ I think was the phrase they used. :sunglasses: :smiley:

On the other hand you get firms like Frangers mentions, who still expect you to be Mr Co.operative despite regular ā– ā– ā– ā–  takes like he mentions.

In my case for example, (and without going into TOO many details) .I went off route to do a boss at my place a personal favour,.a favour which was entirely for him and nothing to do with the company we work forā€¦, so basically I should not have been there.
Anyhooā€¦ I had a minor ā– ā– ā– ā–  up whilst there doing him this favour involving a parked car. :unamused:
Did he back me up when head office got involved?
Did he stick up and cover for me?
Nah did he ā– ā– ā– ā– . :imp: ,
Despite him having plenty of influence with the company, he chucked me right under the ā– ā– ā– ā–  bus.
Will I do any more favours?

Take a guess. :bulb:

Yorkshire Tramper:
I think the job is what you make of it, if your goingto whinge and moan all of the time it is going to be hell for you and make others feel the same. If you just crack on and let the bad times flow off your shoulders it is easier to handle. The job can definately be made better and easier by your own attitude towards it. I try to remain as positive as I can be and help anyone out if they need it, I also know the ones to stay away from and just get on with my job. Easy job with the right attitude.

Thatā€™s very true, every yard has walking depressions, a wise operation gets shot of them as soon as it becomes clear who and what they are, it will be within a matter of weeks of starting because they canā€™t help themselves.
Left in place a couple of depressives can demoralise half an entire yard in next to no time, they donā€™t bother me so much because like you i know to avoid them, you can see the black cloud hanging over them as they mince across the yard looking for someone to moan to about hard done by they are

robroy:
What the o/p.says his boss asked them to do comes under the remit of part of their job., so why would they get all arsey about doing something like move a few trailers, they are getting paid for it ffs. :unamused:

Their attitude was basically that they had taken their keys out of the truck and parked up and so finished work. I had done the very same thing, only difference was that I took my keys out of my pocket where none else was wanting to do it. Our Gaffer had not asked any one of us in particular to do it but merely asked for us (collectively) to move two trailers. In other words two volunteers. The lazy gets happily watched me doing it as it was hard work taking the keys out of their pockets. It wasnt scoring brownie points or anything like that just a simple task. As it happens our gaffer is a great guy and I can bet a pound to a penny I am on a decent run next week. Still all stood there even after I had left or home. Top and bottom of it lazy, arragant, born idle bad attitude moaners, (unlike me) of course.

Juddian:
Thatā€™s very true, every yard has walking depressions, a wise operation gets shot of them as soon as it becomes clear who and what they are, it will be within a matter of weeks of starting because they canā€™t help themselves.
Left in place a couple of depressives can demoralise half an entire yard in next to no time, they donā€™t bother me so much because like you i know to avoid them, you can see the black cloud hanging over them as they mince across the yard looking for someone to moan to about hard done by they are

Nail on the head with that Juddian

Yorkshire Tramper:
This is totally my own personal observation and opinion, (Yours may well differ) The attitude of a lot of drivers nowadays is appauling and leaves a lot to be desired. I wonder if it is this that is a contributing factor to the micro management that we face day in day out. As an example I was at our yard on Friday having being away all week and bearing in mind that there were also some day drivers in the yard. We were chewing the cud and cleaning down our lorries etc. The gaffer came out and simply asked for a couple of trailers to be moved from one location in the yard to another to make some space for a repair to be done on the ground where it was comming up. When he left everyone was chuntering and saying they wasnt doing it and its not fair on a Friday when we had finished, I moved both trailers and everyone watched me do it instead of someone jumping in their cab and shifting the other. The point is that even after I had shifted them they were all still stood in the yard anyway moaning. The attitude is terrible and this is one example of countless examples I could give. Is it just me or does anyone else think the same.

Yeah definitely a sense of entitlement but if you ask them theyā€™ll say something along the lines of ā€˜ā€˜today itā€™s 2 trailers, tomorrow itā€™ll be an extra local run, next thing you know weā€™ll be back to 80 hour weeks on a min wageā€™ā€™

richiem1987:

stu675:

toonsy:
There is a large amount of absolute fannies who care too much about what others are doing or what run others are getting or what nights out they are or are not getting. Iā€™ve seen drivers look at OTHER PEOPLES ROTAS before their own just so they can twist on. Its embarrassing that their life is so [zb] they just have to nitpick and gossip on like old aged gasbags to fulfil the void in their worthless own existence.

Iā€™ve had a driver kick off at me because someone else got rest day working and he didnā€™t. No problem as I still had work to cover so said he can work, only to turn round and say he doesnā€™t want tonwork a day off. Whatā€™s the issue then? Other than just being a [zb]

Iā€™m interested though, what happens to the people that go above and beyond, that work harder without complaining, do they get harder longer runs for no benefit ? Or are they commensurately rewarded in the long run?

Depending on the company, you often get given the best runs, with the gaffer sorting you out an early Friday finish (where possible).

You must of had a good experience at rare firm then, or Iā€™m missing the irony in your post. Most places you get put on more because the planner knows youā€™ll just get on with it without moaning. If he needs a job doing that is undesirable or particularly difficult, ie steel to a building site in central London and heā€™s got the choice of putting it on the moaning toddler that will have a tantrum at the mention of it, or the guy that just says ok and cracks on then crack on guy gets it every time

Nothing is going to destroy a good employee faster than watching the boss tolerate and reward the rubbish ones.

Iā€™m usually as helpful as I can be but the downside to that is Iā€™ve become the go to driver for all those annoying niggling little jobs, while the usual suspects get an early dart. Weā€™re all paid the same, but the thing I find annoying is when the boss admitted that he comes to me first because he doesnā€™t like the hassle of dealing with the difficult drivers! Itā€™s one thing to say mind your own business and ignore what others are doing etc, but itā€™s bloody annoying to feel that the widdle is well and truly being taken.

WhiteTruckMan:
Nothing is going to destroy a good employee faster than watching the boss tolerate and reward the rubbish ones.

Iā€™m usually as helpful as I can be but the downside to that is Iā€™ve become the go to driver for all those annoying niggling little jobs, while the usual suspects get an early dart. Weā€™re all paid the same, but the thing I find annoying is when the boss admitted that he comes to me first because he doesnā€™t like the hassle of dealing with the difficult drivers! Itā€™s one thing to say mind your own business and ignore what others are doing etc, but itā€™s bloody annoying to feel that the widdle is well and truly being taken.

On the plus side, thatā€™s the perfect opportunity to tell the gaffer ā€œAnd thatā€™s why I deserve more money than these other guys, isnā€™t it?ā€ :smiley:

Yorkshire Tramper:
This is totally my own personal observation and opinion, (Yours may well differ) The attitude of a lot of drivers nowadays is appauling and leaves a lot to be desired. I wonder if it is this that is a contributing factor to the micro management that we face day in day out. As an example I was at our yard on Friday having being away all week and bearing in mind that there were also some day drivers in the yard. We were chewing the cud and cleaning down our lorries etc. The gaffer came out and simply asked for a couple of trailers to be moved from one location in the yard to another to make some space for a repair to be done on the ground where it was comming up. When he left everyone was chuntering and saying they wasnt doing it and its not fair on a Friday when we had finished, I moved both trailers and everyone watched me do it instead of someone jumping in their cab and shifting the other. The point is that even after I had shifted them they were all still stood in the yard anyway moaning. The attitude is terrible and this is one example of countless examples I could give. Is it just me or does anyone else think the same.

Nothin else but sheer laziness

WhiteTruckMan:

aint that the truth

WhiteTruckMan:

Iā€™ve had a frank discussion with one planner who does this, told him exactly what he was doing and why to which he agreed, sadly they canā€™t see further that they make a rod for their own back, neither can they see that the ones they come to rely on to complete the job (and the following job without finding a delay or convenient defect :unamused: ) aint exactly in the first flush of youth and when theyā€™ve gone what then when all they have left are the ones that canā€™t/wonā€™t/incapable, or as i said in another thread when a n other TM spots an opportuneity to poach a minibus worth of reliable competent helpful staff.

I understand mangement/planners desire to not only get the job done properly but make their own life as easy as possible, but they appear not to realise the long term problems they are storing up, maybe like politicians they intend to be gone from that role by the time their short term folly comes to pass.

dozy:

WhiteWhiteWhite:
There are 2 types of drivers, and you sir are the type I would employ, well done. Too much Canā€™t do wonā€™t do going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still see loads of 1/2 empty trailers , 100,s of miles running empty , hours sat in canteens waiting for a lorry , managers for god knows what etc etc etc , yet the fact itā€™s a struggle to make money is always down to the drivers , apparently in this case not moving a couple of tris !!!
When I tramped Iā€™d more than likely done 70 hrs , slept in the truck all week so just wanted to go home , not ā– ā– ā– ā–  about moving trailer , in my experience thereā€™s always someone in t/o with a hgv license , and as most of them only did 12 hrs x 4 days Iā€™d of personally been telling the bone idle [zb] to move the bloody trailersthemselfes
And no Iā€™d not want a job working for you , you sound like the type of idiot who wants there employees to live to work , not work to live , goodnight

You know what Dozy , in all the years I have been on this site reading your posts , I usually roll my eyes or shake my head ā€¦but that is the most sensible and best said thing I have read in ages .

The bossā€™s attitude has a bearing on drivers attitude as well. I worked for a guy many years ago who never ever told me to do anything, it was always can you or will you please do this or that etc etc. Iā€™d have went to the moon and back for him and frequently did things well out of the remit to help him out. I believe a good boss makes for a good driver but Iā€™m happy to be proved otherwise.

(1) Get the job done, safely, legally, and rewardingly
(2) Bugger what everyone else thinks.

dozy:

WhiteWhiteWhite:
There are 2 types of drivers, and you sir are the type I would employ, well done. Too much Canā€™t do wonā€™t do going on. Haulage is hard work financially, have to spend a hundred grand to make a few grand. Blood sweat and tears go into owning and operating haulage yet many drivers do not realise this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still see loads of 1/2 empty trailers , 100,s of miles running empty , hours sat in canteens waiting for a lorry , managers for god knows what etc etc etc , yet the fact itā€™s a struggle to make money is always down to the drivers , apparently in this case not moving a couple of tris !!!
When I tramped Iā€™d more than likely done 70 hrs , slept in the truck all week so just wanted to go home , not ā– ā– ā– ā–  about moving trailer , in my experience thereā€™s always someone in t/o with a hgv license , and as most of them only did 12 hrs x 4 days Iā€™d of personally been telling the bone idle [zb] to move the bloody trailersthemselfes
And no Iā€™d not want a job working for you , you sound like the type of idiot who wants there employees to live to work , not work to live , goodnight

Probably explains why youā€™re stuck with the agency dregs.

the fub:
The bossā€™s attitude has a bearing on drivers attitude as well. I worked for a guy many years ago who never ever told me to do anything, it was always can you or will you please do this or that etc etc. Iā€™d have went to the moon and back for him and frequently did things well out of the remit to help him out. I believe a good boss makes for a good driver but Iā€™m happy to be proved otherwise.

Fully agree, I worked for a family concern who were my best ever employers, we couldnā€™t do enough for each other. Family was their priority. If an employee had a family crisis, their attitude was the job came second and was there any way they could help.
They found out I wanted a fridge for the truck and personal use, so bought it and said it was mine. I was given a pay rise, without asking, as a reward for my cooperative attitude.
This was typical of the relationship, we knew we could trust and rely on each other.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Juddian:

Nail on the head with that Juddian

Where I work, one driver would get in the truck, and others would help winding legs etcā€¦

To be honest, I found this to be the case in most places Iā€™ve worked.

the nodding donkey:
Where I work, one driver would get in the truck, and others would help winding legs etcā€¦

To be honest, I found this to be the case in most places Iā€™ve worked.

That is the normal way in my opinion of it. It was certainly what I expected but no unfortunately had to do it all.

Star down under.:

the fub:

Fully agree, I worked for a family concern who were my best ever employers, we couldnā€™t do enough for each other. Family was their priority. If an employee had a family crisis, their attitude was the job came second and was there any way they could help.
They found out I wanted a fridge for the truck and personal use, so bought it and said it was mine. I was given a pay rise, without asking, as a reward for my cooperative attitude.
This was typical of the relationship, we knew we could trust and rely on each other.

In the US I saw a sign fastened to a telegraph pole outside a freight yard which simply said welcome home - I thought that was a nice touch.

Slightly different for large fleets,though.

Where youā€™ll never see the boss,as the operation is run by a series of"used car salesman-a-like"lower management.
Show the slightest sign of weakness hereā€¦and theyā€™ll have your pants down in an instant.
Aided and abetted by those familiar brown nosers who constantly adorn their side.