A bit of research- for the shiny boys

I havnt been to many but when i do, i would like to see a name badge for all truckers, it would help to be more friendly and show us who is who, like those we talk to on trucknet, but cannot put a face to, i would gladly walk around with Truckyboy and underneath my normal name…Ray or Bob ) think we can make some new friends that way.

truckyboy:
I havnt been to many but when i do, i would like to see a name badge for all truckers, it would help to be more friendly and show us who is who, like those we talk to on trucknet, but cannot put a face to, i would gladly walk around with Truckyboy and underneath my normal name…Ray or Bob ) think we can make some new friends that way.

Thats the equivalent of having a Dave and Tracy sunstrip across your screen. I hate the look of name plates, to my mind they look tacky. The missus has one and sticks it in the screen if she ever comes with me on a short run, ‘Estafania’ …nah…i’d rather her nickname instead and she hates it after knowing what it means in English… :grimacing:

Not enough variety, same set of trucks doing the rounds at every show. Went to the Retro Show at Gaydon and was enjoyable but for one thing, way way too many modern lorries. If I wanted to see another blinged up R series I’d go to truckfest.

I have never attended a pure ‘truck show’ but do exhibit (not with a truck though) at many steam and vintage events that have truck sections. I like to see trucks on display that I can relate to, 50’s/60’s/70’s and earlier that are in period livery, but have absolutely no interest in looking at something that I can see every day in a motorway service area etc as (to me) they are just not exciting. However, to me, a 1980’s Leyland, Foden etc is a modern truck! :blush: Many are bulled up with painted lettering on the tyres etc and that does nothing for me I’m afraid, however I accept that many do like to see them so if they bring public into shows then their job is done. A good announcer makes a great deal of difference to arena displays as well, the Late Pat Kennett was possibly the most knowledgable one that I have come across but there are a few who know their subject well, but alas some who do not! :unamused:
I agree with other comments about the pricing at some shows, for a family it is an expensive day out when fuel, ice cream, etc etc are added to the entrance fee and, with there being several events on at any one weekend in summer, some shows suffer from lack of support.

Pete.

The announcer at the one we attended was awful. Foden 8w tipper commentary was like this “Leyland Daf 8wheeler no it’s a Foden. Has the ■■■■■■■ engine, or could be a Caterpillar, not old enough to have a Gardner of course, could be a Perkins of course. It’s got a sleeper cab which is unusual.” Shut up and sod off back to Wurzel country. It’s got a 450 Cat in it, the badges say so. :imp: :laughing:

Anything to do with Truckfest in my opinion is just a money grabbing exercise that is well executed in every aspect of its operation! For this reason it will never change whilst it’s making money. The toilet facilities at Peterborough are an absolute disgrace!
They are packed in like sardines and the horn blowing is horrendous.
The only thing that would make it slightly better, is to do it like the truckstar festival in Holland. Where all the entrants go in the magazine in set categories with the age and mileage of the vehicle in print, so people can see how hard some trucks are worked and still kept nice? Truck and Driver could produce the magazine with the pictures and results cards?
For me the smaller shows are much better because it’s not so much of a cleaning competition (who cares if the inside of your wheels and the underneath of your chassis is shining).

super loopy:
Anything to do with Truckfest in my opinion is just a money grabbing exercise that is well executed in every aspect of its operation! For this reason it will never change whilst it’s making money. The toilet facilities at Peterborough are an absolute disgrace!
They are packed in like sardines and the horn blowing is horrendous.
The only thing that would make it slightly better, is to do it like the truckstar festival in Holland. Where all the entrants go in the magazine in set categories with the age and mileage of the vehicle in print, so people can see how hard some trucks are worked and still kept nice? Truck and Driver could produce the magazine with the pictures and results cards?
For me the smaller shows are much better because it’s not so much of a cleaning competition (who cares if the inside of your wheels and the underneath of your chassis is shining).

+1…the uk shows in comparison to assen are like spending a weekend at lymm. save your money and go to a decent show at truckstar instead of the crassy attempts in the uk.

I have been going to truck show’s as an entrant and a spectator since 1991, got a box full of trophies, had trucks placed in 1st 2nd 3rd place at a lot of shows with my own trucks.

Now attend as a company driver, enjoy them all, Newbury truckfest this year (First year there) was good, will only get bigger.

I now go for the crack as they say, truck gets a wash and a bit of a shine, then I enjoy the weekend, let the public get in and have a look inside the truck, many kids that go have never been inside a truck and love it when you say, have a look, thats what is about for me, 61 years old now and still get a buzz from the shows.

DSCN0298.JPG

Seddon Atki.jpg

DSCN0091.JPG

only done 2 shows

1st oen was newark, didnt even look inside the truck, people polishing under the tanks :open_mouth:
2nd one i took both trucks and both were gleaming, and was told yes they look the nuts but ill not win anything because i have some dust under the wheel archs, i told them they work, working class should be stand back yes the ylook the nuts, then take points off for dints etc

bugger all for the the kids to do on the 2nd show
1st show plenty for the kids if you want to empty the wallet

dont think ill bother with any this year, yes i like my truck to be clean and look the part, ■■■■■■■■ to the shows and at £50 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: no thanks

burnley-si:
only done 2 shows

1st oen was newark, didnt even look inside the truck, people polishing under the tanks :open_mouth:
2nd one i took both trucks and both were gleaming, and was told yes they look the nuts but ill not win anything because i have some dust under the wheel archs, i told them they work, working class should be stand back yes the ylook the nuts, then take points off for dints etc

bugger all for the the kids to do on the 2nd show
1st show plenty for the kids if you want to empty the wallet

dont think ill bother with any this year, yes i like my truck to be clean and look the part, ■■■■■■■■ to the shows and at £50 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: no thanks

This is what is annoying about “working trucks” at shows.
Iv only ever taken mine with a good clean and polished to within an inch of its life.
A company near me took 2 of its motors off the road for 3 days prior to a show and sorted all the little imperfections and put new mud guard wing tops on and running ramps with fresh paint etc,now to me that is not a reflection of a “working” truck.
Once worked for a firm and the show truck driven by the company God was only on motorway runs,no building sites no farms just clean work all the time,
I know when at shows who the real guys are.