8 to 10-metre (ie pre-12m) tilts from the '60s

mandator:
Next to the Tilbury - Antwerp service, there was also Tilbury - Rotterdam. Some haulers on the Continent were in Belgium & Holland ops. : Camerman/Europa Express (eg. Ackworth trailers, Monk’s trailers, Ferrymasters trailers), Leopold Van Gaever (eg. Ackworth trailers, Smiths of Eccles trailers, Ferrymasters trailers), SANSSE (eg. Bass trailers, Monk’s trailers), Soc. Belgo-Anglaise des Ferryboats (eg. Whitebread trailers, BRS trailers), Westfriesland (eg. Whitebread, John Russell Ltd. trailers), König (eg. Ackworth trailers)…

Good stuff. Now we’re getting to the nitty-gritty!

AEC%2058.jpg
AEC Mandator MkIII Bollekens of Leopold Van Gaever in Geneva with CRTS Ackworth Ltd. trailer.

AEC 58.jpg

mandator:
Next to the Tilbury - Antwerp service, there was also Tilbury - Rotterdam. Some haulers on the Continent were in Belgium & Holland ops. : Camerman/Europa Express (eg. Ackworth trailers, Monk’s trailers, Ferrymasters trailers), Leopold Van Gaever (eg. Ackworth trailers, Smiths of Eccles trailers, Ferrymasters trailers), SANSSE (eg. Bass trailers, Monk’s trailers), Soc. Belgo-Anglaise des Ferryboats (eg. Whitebread trailers, BRS trailers), Westfriesland (eg. Whitebread, John Russell Ltd. trailers), König (eg. Ackworth trailers)…

“mandator” Was it definately Tilbury to Rotterdam as just found this clipping of Felixstowe to Rotterdam ? Maybe there were 2 ferries operating to Rotterdam ?

British Road Ferry Boden trailer 1965.

trl tilt boden 65.PNG

The ports of call by Atlantic Steam Navigation Company (later in 1971 to European Ferries):

1946 - 1965 Tilbury - Rotterdam
1946 - 1955 Tilbury - Hamburg
1948 - 1971 Preston - Larne
1950 - 1971 Preston - Belfast
1955 - 1968 Tilbury - Antwerp
1961 - 1971 Preston - Drogheda
1963 - 1971 Preston - Dublin
1964 - 1966 Preston - Waterford
1965 - 1971 Felixstowe - Rotterdam
1968 - 1971 Felixstowe - Antwerp

Ships in service with Atlantic SNC:
MV Bardic Ferry 1957–1976 Sold, renamed Nassim II
MV Ionic Ferry 1958–1976 Sold, renamed Kamasin, renamed Tamerlane
MV Cerdic Ferry 1961–1981 Sold, renamed Atlas I, renamed Sifnos
MV Doric Ferry 1962–1981 Sold, renamed Atlas II, renamed Captain Alexandros
MV Gaelic Ferry 1964–1985 Scrapped 1988
MV Baltic Ferry 1965–1968 ex USS LST1081, ex USS Pima County. Sold and renamed Sable Ferry, renamed Nickel Ferry
SS Celtic Ferry 1966–1974 ex USS LSD11, ex HMS Cutlass, ex HMS Northway, ex City of Havana.
MV Europic Ferry 1967–1993 Requisitioned by the Admiralty in 1982 for use in the Falklands War. Renamed European Freighter, sold and renamed Afrodite II, renamed Ajman Glory. Scrapped 2005.

L75 tractors of West Friesland at Port of Antwerp collecting Whitbread trailers for Brussels.

tractionnaire Whitbread.jpg

Scania Vabis LB76 tractor of Belgo-Anglaise des Ferryboats SA. with Road Ferry trailer on Continental work.

LB76 ferry boats.jpg

Fantastic input Mandator :sunglasses:

Kempston:
On a tangent but worth a watch.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2hY2hdYWNeY

Nice Robert, I know it, but always nice to see it again, On You Tube, there is one from Norway to Italy with a Fiat, olso nice to see it.

Eric,

Hey, not a tilt but once a flat.

W.E. Reeve (Hammond) 33ft, forgotten but maybe a 36ft, but think they had already a Wide Spread, as the 40fters of Hammons.

Er,

Hey,

A question more, first they had 4 in line, one axles, afterwards a tandem, but still 26ft (8m)
but gave that a bigger gross weight ■■? on four axles.
Er,

Rentco 40ft.
CRTS (Ackworth)

Some more well known.

Not the best quality. Highway Trailers advert from 1966.

TIR trailer of West Friesland used on ferry work.

Ackworth Leyland with L. Van Gaever trailer on the road in the UK.

AV 1dec.2016 4848.jpg

mandator:
TIR trailer of West Friesland used on ferry work.

Good pic! I’d say that one was a 10m trailer

Suttons Atkinson.

tilt trl p ro.PNG

DEANB:
Suttons Atkinson.

I have a vague recollection of a colour artwork illustration of that wagon in the 1960s Ladybird Book of Lorries (or similar title) from my youth. That one looks like an 8m job,

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Suttons Atkinson.

I have a vague recollection of a colour artwork illustration of that wagon in the 1960s Ladybird Book of Lorries (or similar title) from my youth. That one looks like an 8m job,

Thats going back a bit Ladybird book ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

11 metre french one from 1966.