70's and 80's on the A45

maverick72:
KW all i can see is red xs in your posts instead of photos grrrrrr :frowning:

Normal service should have been resumed. :unamused:

Thanks KW for re posting the Hako pictures.
I seem to remember my dad driving Daf 2800 for them so I think you’re pic is slightly earlier but great all the same.

aidey:
Right so who remembers some of these?
Machins
James Downey
Orwell Transport
Mair’s (Tilbury and Felixstowe)
Teamhaul
Pearsons
E J Pod
Hatcher Freightlines (all in hapag loyd colors)
Martin Woods

Machins,yup,they moved into OOCL’s old yard,they started doing a fair bit of fridge work to Spain.John Stringer,the manager,went over to Harwich Transport,later to become DFDS.

Teamhaul,yup,strange lime green colour.Only driver I remember was Pete Salmon,he had the one and only F12 Globetrotter.They had some 143’s too.
Pete Salmon then became an O/D doing mostly Germany.

Pearson’s,nice brown and cream paint scheme,very smart.

Hatcher Freightlines,part of the Hatcher Group which is still going today,they do the sleeper pod conversions and air-deflector kits.

Martin Woods,left Russell Davies to start up on his own,had quite a large fleet of Volvo’s,including quite a number of F12 Globetrotters which were on european work with tilts & fridges.
Also ran a couple of luxury coaches under another name,Ben,‘Gumbo’,left Carters to go and drive one of the coaches.

The other’s I’m not sure about,I remember the names,but nothing about them.

Some other’s I remember are
Taylor Barnard,who had a sizeable fleet on containers.

Dave Allen,ex-Goodway driver who started up as an O/D with a 142 Scania,still going today,runs 3 or 4 trucks.

Maritana,ran FIAT’s and a White Road Commander to Italy for Anchor Euro Transport.

Brain Haulage had quite a few in Felixstowe too,they were in the old Duffields Volvo depot.

MG Transport,ran DAF 2800’s on containers,black with an orange stripe.

WBS,green & white Leyland Marathons (mostly day cabs).

CP Transport,Scania 111’s,they moved up from Aveley,Essex,later became Tracto.

H.J.Calver,ran mostly Volvo’s,did a lot of rope & sheet work.

B&R,from up northwest somewhere,they had half a dozen or so in Sub Station Road.

F.B. Atkins,they used to have some based in Felixstowe.

Turner’s of Soham also had a sizeable fleet in Felixstowe,all Volvo’s,F88’s,F10’s and F7’s.

Can’t remember the guy’s name who owned them,Cyril something,but he had a few motor’s.One of them was a Scania 141,driven by Brian ‘Tommo’ Thompson (ex-Trans UK) painted up in Railhead colours,metallic green with a white stripe.He used to do Felixstowe to Holyhead with a 20’ skelly,there and back every day using two log books.

Who’s the long gone company from ■■■■■■■■■■ the coast,well known.They had some in Felixstowe too.

Felixtowe to Holyhead and back EVERY day? Nutter!!!

KW:
Who’s the long gone company from ■■■■■■■■■■ the coast,well known.They had some in Felixstowe too.

Ooh!,it’s just come to me…T.Brady,they used to have some in Felixstowe too.

Gaz:
Felixtowe to Holyhead and back EVERY day? Nutter!!!

Yup,that’s absolutely true.

He’d leave around 2am,got to Holyhead around 11am,liftoff,lift on and back in Felixstowe for 8pm.Then he’d switch trailers and set off again at 2am the next morning.

There used to be some well known O/D’s that did some crazy stuff during the 80’s,god knows how they managed to stay awake,it certainly wasn’t junior aspirin they were on.

B & R 's main site was in Burscough if I remember rightly

Sanmar from Wakefield were also a common sight on the A45 “back in the day”

vernonbish777:
B & R 's main site was in Burscough if I remember rightly

Sanmar from Wakefield were also a common sight on the A45 “back in the day”

B&R was the shortened name of Blundell & Rimmer Transport Ltd. Originally from Halsall in Lancashire, they relocated to Burscough airfield when the second phase of redevelopment was completed. They occupied the plot which was (and still is) next door to the original airfield yard of William Baybutt - now used as their workshop.

The transport manager at B&R for a long time was Mark Hoofe, who was well known for going on expeditions all around the UK - seeking out ERFs with 8-cylinder Gardner engines from any source he could find, once dealers in his own locality had run out or couldn’t deliver within reasonable timescales. He did tell me that he always had good success in East Anglia - the reason for which he didn’t share.

Mark is now a non-executive director of NFS Freight.

Keith do you not recall downeys they had some long nosed mercs they used to run i believe they are now Bacton transport. and w j sims had the yard on the corner near 2 gateAnd yes i remember Ben Baker driving that coach for Woods as i worked for orwel transport and we had the yard next door We were mostly pulling wilson and co trailers later to become scansped. Oh and some bloke that drove a blue volvo with a skf bearings trailer. Could that have been you or am i mistaken on that one. Hj calver no0w belong to the 7 group which i think is owned by russel davises ex accountant.

aidey:
Keith do you not recall downeys they had some long nosed mercs they used to run i believe they are now Bacton transport. and w j sims had the yard on the corner near 2 gateAnd yes i remember Ben Baker driving that coach for Woods as i worked for orwel transport and we had the yard next door We were mostly pulling wilson and co trailers later to become scansped. Oh and some bloke that drove a blue volvo with a skf bearings trailer. Could that have been you or am i mistaken on that one. Hj calver no0w belong to the 7 group which i think is owned by russel davises ex accountant.

I remember the name James Downey,but can’t recall their trucks.
Don’t remember W.J.Sims being there though,I only remember OOCL being there,before Machins,as I was on charter to them when I started at Goodways back in 1983.

I take it you were in the yard up by the tobacco-bond warehouse?
Trans UK were up there when they moved out of Shaw-Lovell’s yard next to No.1 gate,that was before it was developed,there was no hard standing at that time.
The Volvo/SKF outfit would have been Steve Jaggers,he used to park in Autocontex yard,I used to park in Ancliff’s yard,until they moved out and Newell & Wright moved in,then I was evicted. :frowning:

Are James Kemball still up there?

Hi Keith
Yes we were in the top yard but it was concreate then not the mud patch it was in trans uk days.Kemballs now have a massive yard near the dooly pub as it’s now part of k. line Do you remember a old boy and his son running out of trans uk s yard i think they were called wilf and brian there sir name could have been mayhew not to sure but they had an old f10 in triple c colors i think they subbed for bob. Can you rember jordy subbing for them with the guy big j4 it belonged to freemans transport of kenton. I seem to rember the SKF volvo spent a lot of time in the cafe behind the garage (now bp) cant rember what it was before.

aidey:
Hi Keith
Yes we were in the top yard but it was concreate then not the mud patch it was in trans uk days.Kemballs now have a massive yard near the dooly pub as it’s now part of k. line Do you remember a old boy and his son running out of trans uk s yard i think they were called wilf and brian there sir name could have been mayhew not to sure but they had an old f10 in triple c colors i think they subbed for bob. Can you rember jordy subbing for them with the guy big j4 it belonged to freemans transport of kenton. I seem to rember the SKF volvo spent a lot of time in the cafe behind the garage (now bp) cant rember what it was before.

Yes I remember Wilf Mayhew,he did sub for Trans UK now and then.
I’m trying to think of the other guy that used to sub for Bob,John someone (I’ll have to mail Micky Coombes,he’ll remember) but he had a Fiat 170 which was driven by one of Bob’s ex-middle east driver’s John Grandy,a DAF 2800,a Bedford TM day cab and a Fiat 159 rigid.

I can’t remember Jordy driving a Guy Big J,he was already driving for Bob when I started in 1979.I do remember he drove ‘The Fire Engine’,the 310 Maggie that was painted red to sell to some arab,and he had that Scania 80 until the firm went pop.

Oh yeah i forgotten about the red maggie.I some times see mick lilly if i rember i’ll ask him for you.

Was Phil Drakard a Suffolk carrot cruncher? :smiley:

I remember Drakard International with the black Volvo and Scanias

aidey:
Oh yeah i forgotten about the red maggie.I some times see mick lilly if i rember i’ll ask him for you.

Mick Lilly!!

Jesus,I haven’t seen him for over 13 years,he was driving a bulker for some firm down Hadleigh or Long Lawford or wherever it was he lived.I used to see him down at Ipswich sometimes when I was getting the North Sea Ferries to Europoort.
Tell him I said hello,and find out if he went to the last Trans UK reunion.

HJ Calvers got absorbed last year into seven group. There was an interesting bit on the Burroughes of Bressingham web site about some of their old ‘wendy house’ Volvos that went on to become Calvers motors, moving from Beet to containers!

Drakards were based at Bridge Farm in Woolpit weren’t they? Where Loadwells took over and which is now an ever growing Hanbury Davies yard, they used to run black F88’s and Scanias.

I’m interested in the comment about Downeys - because Bacton Transport are quite successful now, tho’ they don’t touch containers as far as I know.

I always thought Loadwells had one of the best looking fleets, with the dark blue and white livery, I’d love to see any photos of them! I remember as a kid, Brian Carberry lived near us and he used to drive for them, he parked up on the old closed off bit of the A45 after the new road was built. A lady who drove for Mitchell Rowlands (Green and white Fiat pulling a tilt mostly) also parked up in the same place - late 70’s this was.

Well mick is back on containers now was working for a guy in sudbury not to sure who he s on for now but he subs to denholm believe he has a space cab daf. I pass on your regardes when i catch him next. He always makes me laugh as he hates fiats/iveco’s and the last motor he has on sorrels was a strallis and he hated it with a passion.

Hi chorcheela
James downey used to run from a yard oppisite where calvers are now ther was 2 or 3 yards there at one time.They had a lot of mercs some of them long nosed and were a dark green. Not sure if this is right or not but you know the woman who stands in the layby on the 14 just after the a12 and waves at all the trucks? I have been told that she is James Downey’s daughter.

I know not exactly A45 but Taylor Balls of Mildenhall Red and Black baby Scanias.
Just read this in the East Anglian http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED29%20Nov%202007%2010%3A05%3A08%3A500.
Possibly the same people and driving a coach at 72?

Going through the Kimbolton bends was always rather interesting…I remember that they banned all the car transporters going through there because the front overhang on them was hitting the buildings…when you look back on it now it is quite unbelievable that all the East Coast traffic was going through that tiny village…they must have had a hell of a party when it was by passed :slight_smile: