7.5 tonne trip to Nice (France) - help please

Correction to earlier post. The new IKEA in Limoges is actually in TOURS, sorry, your dealing with a Numpty.

I hope you are not bringing plumbing supplies to France bought in the UK. Please be careful, the water pressure here is higher in France and English fittings do not stand up very well to it. You will find in France that the copper pipes are a little stronger due to the larger thickness of the copper.

pierrot 14:
I hope you are not bringing plumbing supplies to France bought in the UK. Please be careful, the water pressure here is higher in France and English fittings do not stand up very well to it. You will find in France that the copper pipes are a little stronger due to the larger thickness of the copper.

And the pipe and fittings are a differant size.

just sticking my oar in
i thought it was Castorama that was owned by B&Q
or has it rebranded

ROG:

brit pete:
@Rog I would not like to try debate that with a
French enforcement officer as the nice gentlemen
may think and act completely in the opposite,
even if the EU rules say other wise,

I can’t speak for how particular groups of another EU country interperet those regs so I’ll take your word for that :slight_smile:

I have a 7.5 ton MAN I use as a race transporter for motorbike racing & most years run down to Jerez in southern Spain in Jan/Feb for a few days testing, so speak from experience having driven the length of France a number of times in it. (as well as an articulated race transporter) The letter of the law is that you don’t need a tacho! However, years of experience driving trucks abroad for a living tells me that unless you can prove that little known fact to that ‘Gwendalin’ or northern Spanish copper with a ‘big stupid red hat’ your in deep ■■■ ■■■ mate.

A mate of mine drove for a factory Superbike team and they had the actual page of the ‘rule book’ for every country they were passing through laminated in a ring binder to show the fine hungry filth. (professional or what? the team were sponsored by Scania and had brand new 124 470 4x2’s which had NO TACOGRAPH’s FITTED))

In Feb 2002 we left the Jerez circuit at 9pm and drove towards Arcos and were pulled in the usual way (copper waving a tube light) and thought we were in for it as the Magnum we were in was fitted with a tacho but with no charts in!! In jumps the gun toting type who once explaned the facts in truck drivers Spanish went away with a smile & a few glossy leaflets about the teams European Superstock campaign for the following season autographed with his sons name on, PHEW!! To this day I still think we were lucky.

Your chances of getting away unscathed (should you get stopped) will be increased logarithmically if one of you speaks fluent French, they love it when they stop an English vehicle and none of the occupents speaks the local lingo, I speak reasonable French and have never had a major problem with the French coppers. (Dieppe Customs is another story!!)

Bon Route, Ross.

pierrot 14:

You learn something new on TruckNet everyday. I often wondered why the toilets often used armoured flexy tube rather than sweated on pipes.

hitch:
just sticking my oar in
i thought it was Castorama that was owned by B&Q
or has it rebranded

You are right there Hitch , they are both owned by Kingfisher.

There,s a lot to think about, log book,letter from the hire company, green card. Plus the hi viz etc. Snow chains not sure about that, i used to hang a set on the back of my unit for the alps never used them. I wonder what most hire co,s will say if you want tyres and chains. I just had my snow&ice tyres put on the other week, but i now have a van. It could work out very costly with ferries and tolls. If you have the time you can avoid a lot of the tolls but will extend the trip.A few months ago i did a round trip Valencia and spent around £20 on tolls, but i left on saturday for monday drop, again in a van.