7.5 Tonne Recovery O licence?

grumbo:
Could someone enlighten me if this is correct?

As it seems somewhat of a grey area.

As Im thinking of a 7.5 recovery truck, but Id like to be 100% sure of the facts.

Ive spoken to a few people and been on the AVRO site but Im still some what confused, so any comments would be very welcome.

A 7.5 tonne on recovery tax (Dont know if this is cheaper) not run on tacho ? no O licence ? but restricted to 100Km…

As an ex-recovery driver, I can tell you that you don’t need an O licence for a 7.5 tonne truck. You only need tacho if you have to go more than 100 km (as the crow flies) from your home base, and then (if you’re law abiding) you maintain tacho records for the next fortnight.

grumbo:
I too have heard about this R licence thing and it dosent seem a bad idea if it gets rid of some of the transits with no MOT

It’s a bleeding terrible idea. It won’t get rid of the beavertail brigade as it will only cover commercials (over3.5 ton). So won’t make the blindest bit of difference in that respect. But it will mean more expense for recovery ops.
There already is an industry standard. PAS43. So instead of introducing more regulation/legislation, why not just enforce the existing standards? If you want your vehicle(s) on recovery tax, you’ve got to prove you’re recovery by showing your PAS43 accreditation, the industry standard. Simple.

grumbo:
been tempted with the 6.5 tonne specs but feel the tilt and slide is the only way to go…As the cars and vans are getting heavier, it makes the 3.5s neon useless to carry much legally.

Realistically though, although you’ll do well to get anywhere near a 1500kg payload on a 3.5 ton vehicle, you’ll also struggle to get a 2 ton payload on 6.5 ton tilt n slide (with a steel bed). If you’re doing accident work you need a steel bed, ally beds might improve the payload a little but they get chewed up on RTA work. You still can’t carry a Range Rover / Disco on a 6.5 ton tilt n slide legally.
To get a 4 ton bed with a crew cab, you’re talking 10-13 tonners.

Chas:
Apparently this is not recovery, he was threatening to nick me for no ‘O’ licence, no tacho records & not being an LGV1 licence holder :unamused:

It is recovery and no O licence/tacho required if it is a statutory lift (for a government body), which it was.
You still need the correct driving licence mind, there’s no exemption for that, or we’d all be driving wreckers on motorbike tickets :slight_smile:

papermonkey:
As an ex-recovery driver, I can tell you that you don’t need an O licence for a 7.5 tonne truck, if you’re only doing recovery. You only need tacho if you have to go more than 100 km (as the crow flies) from your home base, and I don’t know what rules apply from then on but we used to stay on tacho for a fortnight.

Fixed that for ya :wink:

Hi. I have been reading this with interest as I’m also looking at a 7.5t recovery truck with hiab and beaver tail or slide and tilt.
I want it for both recovery and transporting scrap vehicles to weigh in.
So how about a restricted operators licence as the scrap car’s become my property, my own goods once on that truck.
It’s all a bit confusing and I want a truck with mot and will give it 6 week inspections.
I will not be travelling beyond a 60 mile radius either. Far from it. More like 20 mile absolute max for scrap cars and no more than 60 miles on recovery.

I have no intention of carrying cars to and from auctions etc. No transport.

Just local scrap cars that are my own goods and 60 mile recovery.

Should it be a restricted o licence if I need an o licence. This is a bit easier to get but gives you something to show compliance.

Thoughts please. Thanks.

I think that the market is pretty much saturated, if you are near Motorways and “on the square”! you might get a police contract for the spills and thrills. There will be some really unpleasant sights.