4 on 4 off

absolutely brilliant shift,i done it for nearly two years,working the weekends was worth it if you dont mind them,i started to feel guilty taking my holidays cos if you booked 4 days you get 12 off, effectively you are only working half a year,i would recommend it to any driver,if i could get another job doing that i would be very happy, you either take your 4 days off or work on overtime two of your 4 days,i was clearing over £500 a week in the nineties,that was considered good then,try it, you got nothing to lose by doing so

truckman20:
absolutely brilliant shift,i done it for nearly two years,working the weekends was worth it if you dont mind them,i started to feel guilty taking my holidays cos if you booked 4 days you get 12 off, effectively you are only working half a year,i would recommend it to any driver,if i could get another job doing that i would be very happy, you either take your 4 days off or work on overtime two of your 4 days,i was clearing over £500 a week in the nineties,that was considered good then,try it, you got nothing to lose by doing so

silly quesion but how many days holiday do you get?

truckerjimbo:

28 days a year same as anyone else.

So 4 on 4 off you’ll do 154 days work a year. 5 day week you’ll do 232 days for the same wage.

I’d rather give up the days you have to do on a weekend with a 4 on 4 off and have 78 days extra sat at home.

Conor:

truckerjimbo:

So 4 on 4 off you’ll do 154 days work a year. 5 day week you’ll do 232 days for the same wage.

I’d rather give up the days you have to do on a weekend with a 4 on 4 off and have 78 days extra sat at home.

will you get the same wage though?
you may do in a large firm but I’m not sure all smaller outfits could pay a driver the same for doing 78 days less!
another point I saw a link earlier about holiday pay in the uk being brought in line with the eu , meaning folk would need to be paid average earnings, can anyone find the link?

Conor:

Not always the case, our shunters do 4 & 4 and they get 20 or 21 and I’ve heard a of other places that do similar, it’s pro-rata or something.
As i’ve stated its a great shift to do especially if you’re NOT work orientated and like spending time at home and have a hobby maybe.

When I worked in the steel works they did 4on4off and after 7 cycles you would get 18 days off then start again , no holidays you took them in your 18 off and no extra money on bank holidays etc. they did 2days 6-6 then 2nights 6-6

Smoggie89:
When I worked in the steel works they did 4on4off and after 7 cycles you would get 18 days off then start again , no holidays you took them in your 18 off and no extra money on bank holidays etc. they did 2days 6-6 then 2nights 6-6

I did 4 days then 4 nights and those nights did drag although managed to get some shut eye which helped and my hours were 7 - 7.
Going from days to nights gave me 5 days off nearly .

bald bloke:

Smoggie89:

I did 4 days then 4 nights and those nights did drag although managed to get some shut eye which helped and my hours were 7 - 7.
Going from days to nights gave me 5 days off nearly .

I never did the shift pattern but the lads who did said the nights were a killer , especially the first night shift after your last day shift , body clock knackerd lol

you`ll work all of or part of, any 5 weekends out of 8
mon, tues, wed, thurs.
Tues, weds, thurs, Fri
Weds, thurs, Fri, sat
Thurs, Fri, sat, sun
Fri, sat, sun, mon
Sat, sun, mon, tues
Sun, mon, tues, wed
etc …

Also as its easter coming up, check how the company factors in working bank holidays

truckerjimbo:

truckman20:

usual,28 days,as i said,spread it over the year and you are basically working half a year,i loved it

also the good thing is if you are a traveller and you can afford it you can fly out to spain or wherever you go within a day,spend two days relaxing and come back on the fourth day

Done it for the past three months and the time off is great.One thing to remember is the cut in pay,
You only get paid for 3 days over a 7 day week if you are paid weekly