4 on 4 off, any pitfalls?

I did it and enjoyed the pattern too. Four days on, four days off, four nights on and so on. 11hr shifts. Overtime if you worked your rest days. 28 days holiday. It was on UK hours but I believe now they are on EU. It was sludge ranking for the water board which not everyone will take to it but for the benefits, there are far far worse driving jobs!

Dan_1986:
Im not keen on 4 -4 im not sure why i just have a feeling i wouldnt like it. Hmm anyone else?

me too, did it for a bit & hated it because of working weekends, best shift would be 4on-3off, mon-thur/tue-fri :slight_smile:

nedflanders:
if you can book well in advance you can get 12 days off using only 4 of your holidays days

The trick there is to initially book all the school holidays like April, Late December, & August and totally abuse your position of seniority - IF you have it! :stuck_out_tongue:

When the time gets a bit closer, you’ll find you can easily swap out an august fortnight for a july fortnight for example, to take advantage of that 2 weeks in the Seychelles you picked up “last minute” for 500 squids… :open_mouth:

The only dis advantage I found with 4on/4off, is on the days your working, you can’t do anything socially.
You get up, go to work, come home have something to eat and then bed.
But, the advantages far outwiegh the dis advantages.

rambo19:
The only dis advantage I found with 4on/4off, is on the days your working, you can’t do anything socially.

Isn’t that normal haulage anyway? :laughing: :laughing:

If I was home less than 13hrs after leaving it I’d had a good day.

It’s a no brainer to me, 4 on 4 off is the dream shift, working half the year as opposed to 5 on two off or 6 on 1 off.

Unless you go to work to get away from the Mrs

When we did our shift changes recently i wanted to go 4on4off, but it was a 2k drop and holidays went from 33days to 28days. Was considering going for it and making up the money with red circle shifts but i wasn’t sure in the end.

When i more financially secure then im going to change to it. Would be some life, 6 months off as rest days - plus a months holiday you’d only work 5 months a year!!

it’s ok for if you work for a 24/7 company & dont have any particular truck but for me 4 on & 4 off wrecked my marrage, as said above you work more weekends than not , usually the bank hols & any other public hols , but the social life goes out the window as most mates & partners are working when yer off , the kids are at school, it got to the stage where when WE were going out with friends at the weekend I was never included, as i was usually working , there was no WE anymore , it was ‘me n the kids & you’…
i’m currently on a rota that sounds all wrong but works quite well. red font are my days off & sundays arnt worked anyway unless it’s chrismas / easter weekend type thing so in effect we’re on a 4on 2off for 3 weeks & a 5 day week slotted in, our rest days are also worked that every 3rd week gives us a 5 day weekend ,which in turn gets us every other weekend off.
wk 1; mon, tues, wed, thurs, fri, sat, sun
wk 2; mon, tues, wed, thurs, fri, sat, sun
wk 3; mon, tues, wed, thurs, fri, sat, sun
wk 4; mon, tues, wed, thurs, fri, sat, sun
wk 1; as above …

most get to have our own regular vehicles & a spare driver is rota’d to work his shift on two other vehicles as well as mine , 3 trucks >4 drivers i’m finding it so much better than 4on 4off

Not for me thanks, worked weekends in the past but mon-fri is my preference by a long way

I did 25 years of 4 on 4 off in the fire service, best shift system in the world in my opinion.

You just need to forget weekends exist, and enjoy the variety of starting work one day later every week, it really takes you out of the rut of life revolving around a set seven day week.

Conor:

rambo19:

Isn’t that normal haulage anyway? :laughing: :laughing:

If I was home less than 13hrs after leaving it I’d had a good day.

I was looking more at being away for the 4 days rather than day work, know a few lads that are on it that way, and the amount of free time they get is rather appealing, and the slight cut in pay I could live with, ie 1 less night out a week!