33ft triaxle trailers

This is one of the trailers they were fitted to, Franky.

The lightest trailer spec I can recall was some Highyway trailers built for Smith of Maddiston which used ali cross members and also super single tyres I’m not sure that they were a roaring success but they were extremely light. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
The lightest trailer spec I can recall was some Highyway trailers built for Smith of Maddiston which used ali cross members and also super single tyres I’m not sure that they were a roaring success but they were extremely light. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Not a triaxle and I’m not sure of the deceivable length,but I believe it’s one of the trailers you are referring to.
Credit to Brian Edgar for picture

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,

Not a triaxle and I’m not sure of the deceivable length,but I believe it’s one of the trailers you are referring to.
Credit to Brian Edgar for picture

That would be one of them David but I don’t reckon it is a 40ft and counting the cross members ( 15 by my count) it may only be a 33 footer. And it’s bad to make out but it may also have been on single leaf springs :neutral_face: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Slightly off piste here; but I’m just racking my brains to remember when tri-axle super-singles became the norm on new 40ft trailers. IIRC it was about the time 38-tonnes came in during 1983. But were they not already popular on the Continent before then?

Ro

ERF-NGC-European:
Slightly off piste here; but I’m just racking my brains to remember when tri-axle super-singles became the norm on new 40ft trailers. IIRC it was about the time 38-tonnes came in during 1983. But were they not already popular on the Continent before then?

Ro

in 1982 if you had a super single blow out on a chris hudson trailer you had to wait for a geezer in a van to get to you from romford, didn’t matter where you were

tonyj105:

ERF-NGC-European:

Ro

in 1982 if you had a super single blow out on a chris hudson trailer you had to wait for a geezer in a van to get to you from romford, didn’t matter where you were

:laughing:

Chris Webb,
Hello Chris,
Looking through the 33ft trl: thread and I see your post on the Dixons ERF.
The photo is on page 59 of the Peter Davies book British Trucks at Work ( In the sixties )
Regards, Allan.

Mrsteel:
Chris Webb,
Hello Chris,
Looking through the 33ft trl: thread and I see your post on the Dixons ERF.
The photo is on page 59 of the Peter Davies book British Trucks at Work ( In the sixties )
Regards, Allan.

Hi Allen
I remember Dixon’s loading out of Shotton on a regular basis, I think they did most of the Northern Ireland work along with the usual, don’t recall they ran to south wales often, more heading north.
Bit of useless info :open_mouth: :unamused: