3 Months In.

Great thread, only started reading out of curiosity but got hooked pretty sharpish with your writing style.

Get yourself into class one work and you’ll have plenty of downtime, then you can take up writing as a second job. I’ve paid money for worse story telling than yours.

Keep it up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quality story telling there hope there’s more to come

And so…the day dawns on the start of a new career. With a pensive mind and a thrill in ones heart I venture to the boost bus (my car) and traipse the 20 miles to the new job. Will I enjoy it? Will I cope? Will I manage to get my steed around towns, villages, country roads with nary a slight whisp of a tree smacking the side of the cab…Too late for thoughts. I arrive.

I take a deep breath and climb out of the car (to be fair it’s not really a climb out but I am only exaggerating for effect). and head to the office door. I walk passed the yard. The hustle and bustle of a days delivering dawns and again I see the ant colony buzzing about doing their stuff.

Did I mention this is multi drop? A swear word to some mother truckers, to others a way of heaving tonnes of pallets and losing weight all the while getting into tight places that only a teenage virgin dreams of.

I walk up the stairs to the office

‘Hi, I’m here to start my first day’ I proclaim.

‘Oh hi Gary’ names have been changed to protect the innocent and not so innocent ‘Let’s get you started, you will be going out with Bob and he will show you the ropes’

‘Long as I don’t hang myself with em’ I retort with a wry smile

‘No, you won’t you bell end’ he replies.

We head to the yard and I am introduced to Bob, in his 50’s, looks a bit like Frank Spencer and Duncan Goodhew had a kid. Slightly balding.

‘Hi Gary, I’m Bob, lets get cracking’ he chortles. ‘Actually floppy bunnies it, we have to wait to get loaded, you want a coffee?’

‘Aye, go on then’

Coffees bought from the definitely knackered and dirty as hell drinks machine.

'So, we have 13 deliveries today so all will be good, have you driven a four over four? he asks

'Erm…a what? I ask

‘A four over four, manual gearbox’ he replies

‘Nah, learnt in an auto’

‘Ahh well, you will have fun then’ he replies.

WTF is he on about, I ponder.

*on a side note, I am coming from a desk job for 12 years of my working life, bar the wandering about doing security/close protection and door work. The latter doth not require a nutter.

Oh, it’s our turn to get loaded (not in the literal sense). Bob unstraps the side curtains. I join in but have no idea. Bob tells me I am an idiot, I agree. He shows me what to do. I do it, I feel less of an idiot.

Martin is the FLT driver. He says hello, I say hello back. He loads the truck. Bob tells me about loading the truck and what to strap with the internal strappy things.

10 mins later we are on our way. I’m not driving but will be later.

We chat and find out that my cousin is a mate of his. Small world.

An hour later we arrive at our first delivery. A ton of paving flags. No FL. So off the tail lift it has to be.

Bob, shows me how to operate said tail lift. I watch. He brings the pallet to the tail lift. I tell him I will stand to the side, just in case.

Just in case was a good thing as the tail lift dips and Bob lets go of the pump truck as the whole pallet including the pump truck does a perfect front flip followed by a 180 degree spin that would have got a perfect 10 across the board from any diving board judges, although the landing was terrible.

Oops…Oh floppy bunnies, he declares.

I wonder what the hell is in store for me if this happens I declare to myself, internally.

What next…

Another great post - thanks :smiley:

Haizum74 Sod the driving malarki, You should write a romance novel instead. It was a good read though.

I’d missed the update before, great posts. I’m guessing it is all going smoothly now… :smiley: