2022 Newbies

ROG:

Thanks very much

Since the rule change has anyone actually failed this off road 3a test I wonder?.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

jimmea:
My class 2 training started today, brought forward from Monday (long story) supposed to be 2 of us but the other guy was late and meant he didn’t get started until late morning so that meant I got most of the morning solo.

Truck was auto so made it a bit easier for me, took a bit of getting used when cornering, roundabouts etc but had a good few hours driving then back to yard for reversing. Traffic around Glasgow was chaos due to an artic lorry crashing through the central reservation on the M8 today so roads were at a standstill, (hopefully no one on here or no injuries)

After a good few shots of the reversing instructor asked if I wanted to get the test (module 3A) out of the way, so done it late this afternoon and thankfully passed. Glad I did as I’d been worried about the reversing bit.

Back on Monday for another 3 days including test and module 4 to do but my instructor was good and talks through everything so hopefully all goes well.

How did you get on mate ? I passed my class 2 with Ritchies . Who was your instructor?

rearaxle:
Since the rule change has anyone actually failed this off road 3a test I wonder?.

Yes. I’m sure lots have.
My trainer doesn’t have their own area so my, and all their trainees, are done by the local DVSA in their test centre. Just like it used to be done at the start of the road test.
I was immensely pleased that the reversing and the road test were separated, but the standards have not changed.

Hi all,

Just a quick update on my first steps since passing my Class 1 on January 14th.

I work in an office Monday to Friday, so I signed up to a few agencies in the hope of getting a weekend shift every fortnight, to build some experience, and get a feel for the type of work that is out there. I signed up with an agency that supplies drivers to Tesco last week, and they booked me in for a driving assessment yesterday. I’m pleased to say that I passed the assessment (20 question test on WTD etc.), 45 minute drive, and a reverse onto a bay at the end. They then did the induction so I’m now signed off to work for Tesco!

I don’t know any different with this being my first driving job, but to me, it looks like an ideal place to start, with no time pressure on the work, and clear instructions on store deliveries.

As a new driver looking for part-time work, I’ve had much more interest from potential employers with the Class 1, compared to when I had Class 2 only, even at this time of year when things usually quieten down.

@Goff118 is that a large Tesco RDC that you are near to?

stu675:

Yea. It’s about 45 minutes from me, but I’m happy to do that once a fortnight for a bit of experience to start with and I’ll see how it goes.

Df91:

jimmea:
My class 2 training started today, brought forward from Monday (long story) supposed to be 2 of us but the other guy was late and meant he didn’t get started until late morning so that meant I got most of the morning solo.

Truck was auto so made it a bit easier for me, took a bit of getting used when cornering, roundabouts etc but had a good few hours driving then back to yard for reversing. Traffic around Glasgow was chaos due to an artic lorry crashing through the central reservation on the M8 today so roads were at a standstill, (hopefully no one on here or no injuries)

After a good few shots of the reversing instructor asked if I wanted to get the test (module 3A) out of the way, so done it late this afternoon and thankfully passed. Glad I did as I’d been worried about the reversing bit.

Back on Monday for another 3 days including test and module 4 to do but my instructor was good and talks through everything so hopefully all goes well.

How did you get on mate ? I passed my class 2 with Ritchies . Who was your instructor?

I passed on The Thursday. My instructor for driving was Sammy, But I had Andy for the Mod 3A.

Trouble is, now that I’ve passed I cant get any work! I’ve tried and registered with a few agencies hoping to pick up some weekend work before quitting my current job but can’t get any at all. I’ve been told that it’s very quiet and not much available at weekends, and what is available is going to experienced class 2 drivers. I’m beginning to wish that I’d just went right to class 1

Goff118:
Hi all,

I work in an office Monday to Friday, so I signed up to a few agencies in the hope of getting a weekend shift every fortnight, to build some experience, and get a feel for the type of work that is out there. I signed up with an agency that supplies drivers to Tesco last week, and they booked me in for a driving assessment yesterday. I’m pleased to say that I passed the assessment (20 question test on WTD etc.), 45 minute drive, and a reverse onto a bay at the end. They then did the induction so I’m now signed off to work for Tesco!

I don’t know any different with this being my first driving job, but to me, it looks like an ideal place to start, with no time pressure on the work, and clear instructions on store deliveries.

As a new driver looking for part-time work, I’ve had much more interest from potential employers with the Class 1, compared to when I had Class 2 only, even at this time of year when things usually quieten down.

Great news! Have you been booked in for your first shift yet? Hope it goes well.

rearaxle:

The guy that I was training with, at Ritchies in Glasgow at the start of the year, failed his 3a test on the Wednesday but he passed at his second attempt on the Thursday.

driveress:

Goff118:
Hi all,

Great news! Have you been booked in for your first shift yet? Hope it goes well.

First shift is 9am tomorrow morning. Excited and nervous all over again. At least I know I can drive them now! :smiley:

Goff118:

stu675:

Yea. It’s about 45 minutes from me, but I’m happy to do that once a fortnight for a bit of experience to start with and I’ll see how it goes.

Which depot?
I’ve got an interview at reading coming up.

stu675:

Goff118:

stu675:

Which depot?
I’ve got an interview at reading coming up.

Cool, I did my assessment at Magor and have my first ever shift tomorrow.

First shift is 9am tomorrow morning. Excited and nervous all over again. At least I know I can drive them now! :smiley:

They are spoiling you with that start time :laughing: Hope you have a very successful first shift. Momentous!

driveress:

They are spoiling you with that start time :laughing: Hope you have a very successful first shift. Momentous!

Ha ha yep, thank you. Fingers crossed!

ROG:
Pre 1997 car licence means you already have LGV C1 so you can do the 35 hours now
You can get a digicard now
You can do the 2 initial driver cpc tests instead of the 35 but it is a pain to try and book them and they are pass/fail - the periodic is attendance only and can be done online

Thanks for this reply to my thoughts Rog. Had the medical now and sent off for the provisional entitlements to be added. Am intending to do the 35 hours online and get the digicard before I commit any more (and agonise over whether Class 1 or Class 2!), so it gives me more comfort that your reply gives me another reason to justify doing this.

goiko:

ROG:
Pre 1997 car licence means you already have LGV C1 so you can do the 35 hours now
You can get a digicard now
You can do the 2 initial driver cpc tests instead of the 35 but it is a pain to try and book them and they are pass/fail - the periodic is attendance only and can be done online

Thanks for this reply to my thoughts Rog. Had the medical now and sent off for the provisional entitlements to be added. Am intending to do the 35 hours online and get the digicard before I commit any more (and agonise over whether Class 1 vs Class 2!), so it gives me more confortthat your reply gives me another reason to justify doing this.

If you decide not to go for C or CE then you will have all you need for doing LGV C1 jobs

driveress:

First shift completed yesterday! 2 separate runs to Gloucester and then Bristol and I managed to get all the goods off the 2 trailers and into the stores without hurting anyone, so I count that as a success! :smiley:

My 2nd trailer was a moving double-decker trailer, which was fine until the lift at the store broke so I had to change bays. All practice though!

I thought the actual driving was the easy part, although they were 2 pretty easy locations to get to. I found that small problems can waste a lot of time, but I didn’t rush and managed to solve all the problems I faced, learning things as I went along.

I will be a lot more comfortable and a little bit quicker on the next shift I’m sure!

So glad you had a good day :smiley:
Questions:
Did your colleagues at your other work wonder why you had a spring in your step and a smile on your face this morning? :laughing:
What are these “small problems” of which you speak?
Are you booked in for a shift next weekend?

driveress:
So glad you had a good day :smiley:
Questions:
Did your colleagues at your other work wonder why you had a spring in your step and a smile on your face this morning? :laughing:
What are these “small problems” of which you speak?

Thanks! :smiley: I told them what I was up to yesterday - mixture of surprised and impressed lol

Lots of little things that I was not used to having to deal with, so they took me way longer than they should have - off the top of my head… (Any quicker/better solutions for these issues much appreciated…)

1. On my first coupling the trailer was quite low, so I needed to lower the suspension on the tractor unit. In the end I needed to ask a shunter how to lower the suspension for the rear axle, which was as simple as a right arrow button, but that must have wasted about 15 minutes for me!

2. Not being able to push the air line on when coupling my 2nd trailer due to there being too much pressure… solved by repeatedly pressing the brake to release the air to get the line on.

3. Releasing the ratchet straps to unload took way longer than it should have to start with, because I wasn’t used to them. Got the hang of that by the 2nd delivery but had a few other issues to deal with at that store by that point so the learning continued there ha ha!

4. Parking brake applied itself - At my 2nd delivery the store’s primary lift stopped working, so I needed to move the truck onto their 2nd bay which thankfully worked, but as I tried moving, nothing was happening. After some horrible smells, I realised the parking brake had applied itself (not sure how). Still not sure what happened there!

I think if I did the same shift today, I’d be able to do it about an hour or 2 quicker, but I learnt a lot yesterday, and there was no time pressure from Tesco which was much appreciated on my first ever shift!

driveress:
Are you booked in for a shift next weekend?

As I work 5 days Monday-Friday (non-driving), I need a 45 hour break next weekend to comply with regulations, so am only able to work 1 weekend day per fortnight, if that makes sense.

I’ve not spoken to my contact at the agency today but I’m hoping I should be able to get booked in for another shift soon. Maybe I’ll ask for an earlier start next time, as I ended up leaving Bristol in the dark last night, which was another learning experience in itself :smiley: