2019 Driver shortage

This couldn’t possibly be BP first salvo after seeing the massive hikes in gas and electricity prices and deciding that they want a slice of that pie? Oh no, surely not.

And where are the BP sites in the Coventry area supplied from? Is it the inland terminal at Kingsbury? Anyone work there? Is there a driver shortage or just BP simply refusing to pay the current market rates? I know where my bet would be.

DCPCFML:
Is there a driver shortage or just BP simply refusing to pay the current market rates? I know where my bet would be.

Do you mean you suspect their drivers have left for better wages if that is the case they still have driver shortage.

Bin Man:

DCPCFML:
Is there a driver shortage or just BP simply refusing to pay the current market rates? I know where my bet would be.

Do you mean you suspect their drivers have left for better wages if that is the case they still have driver shortage.

The key word being “they”. :bulb:

Bin Man:
Forward to 16:24 mins on 5 Live below a transport manager has just said once this is over there will be too many drivers and wages will suffer -

Live - bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live: … _five_live

If you don’t catch it live catch the podcast later bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070l … des/player

Another driver on 5 live explaining about the facilities, long hours, sleeping out etc, the presenter said people will find this interesting because non of us knew what drivers have to put up with.

Tony Livesey (main presenter) added his mate is a driver and he told him they are not treat great when they arrive to unload their wagons he said when they get to the loading bays they are basically told to “Go and park over there mate we will deal with you in a second”

This has turned into a truckers phone in you can catch it all later - bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070l … des/player

Live now and rewind to beginning - bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000zv6f

Problem with fuel delivery is the wages are pants.
£20 an hour if your lucky and long hours with often having to switch from days and nights on a rota and weekends often not optional.

If It was like £30 an hour I might be tempted but not for £20 I can get that elsewhere without having to deliver fuel.

Also £20 is often the top agency rate full timers are often on less.

Bin Man:
Forward to 16:24 mins on 5 Live below a transport manager has just said once this is over there will be too many drivers and wages will suffer -

If you don’t catch it live catch the podcast later bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070l … des/player

It’s not at 16:24.

adam277:
£20 an hour if your lucky and long hours with often having to switch from days and nights on a rota and weekends often not optional.

If It was like £30 an hour I might be tempted but not for £20 I can get that elsewhere without having to deliver fuel.

Nonsense. It’s not true unless Carryfast says it.

switchlogic:

adam277:

Nonsense. It’s not true unless Carryfast says it.

viewtopic.php?f2&t=170040#p2782768

stu675:

Bin Man:

It’s not at 16:24.

Listen to thr first hour and am sure you’ll hear it.

It’s all over 5 live this morning, I wish drivers would complain as much about the conditions and hours as pay as the majority of the general public would love to earn £20+
they don’t appreciate how hard the job is so
to them it may look like drivers are only interested in getting more money, fortunately some of the drivers phoning in are putting that straight.

Bin Man:
It’s all over 5 live this morning, I wish drivers would complain as much about the conditions and hours as pay as the majority of the general public would love to earn £20+
to them it may look like drivers are only interested in getting more money, fortunately many of the drivers phoning in are putting that straight.

I would rather the conditions continued to get worse but the pay continued to get higher to attract the drivers.

stu675:

Bin Man:
to them it may look like drivers are only interested in getting more money, fortunately many of the drivers phoning in are putting that straight.

I would rather the conditions continued to get worse but the pay continued to get higher to attract the drivers.

Really, wouldn’t it be better if both got better, a female driver has just been discussing the distribution centres etc the presenter was shocked when she said drivers are not allowed to use the toilet and you can be there for ages, she also went on to say some places you stop only have a couple of toilets and they are usually disgusting and you pay £35 for to park there.

stu675:

Bin Man:

Good point that, supply and demand as always, if it becomes too good an act it’ll be oversubscribed and agency rates at least will be back to rubbish with full timers who took the bonus bribes following suit but quickly.

I know some here want drivers to do nothing other than sit on their arse and steer and to be treated like celebs for doing their jobs, but jobs that have some graft muck skills headaches about them have for years been better paid than the easy trunking back on the bay and sleep jobs, and some of us don’t mind the muck/graft and are quite happy to pocket the difference…won’t mention the fact that unionised jobs have always been better paid often with shorter hours to boot, oh i did mention unions :smiling_imp:

@ Bin Man
As for toilet refusal, only once did this rear its ugly head back when the covid scam was first advertised, a swift phone call from one of our directors to the offending company put that issue to bed the very same day, don’t know where the hell the phone in guest has been going.

Juddian:

stu675:

Bin Man:

Good point that, supply and demand as always, if it becomes too good an act it’ll be oversubscribed and agency rates at least will be back to rubbish with full timers who took the bonus bribes following suit but quickly.

I know some here want drivers to do nothing other than sit on their arse and steer and to be treated like celebs for doing their jobs, but jobs that have some graft muck skills headaches about them have for years been better paid than the easy trunking back on the bay and sleep jobs, and some of us don’t mind the muck/graft and are quite happy to pocket the difference…won’t mention the fact that unionised jobs have always been better paid often with shorter hours to boot, oh i did mention unions :smiling_imp:

@ Bin Man
As for toilet refusal, only once did this rear its ugly head back when the covid scam was first advertised, a swift phone call from one of our directors to the offending company put that issue to bed the very same day, don’t know where the hell the phone in guest has been going.

I don’t know where they were from but lack of and dirty toilets have been mentioned numerous times

I am sure i have read numerous posts about drivers not being allowed to use toilets in the forums here i was under the impression it is common practice at these places.

Juddian:

By that logic everyone would have been rushing for my council driver type job and no one would have wanted to work for Seabourne/TNT/IPEC doing international trunking just involving trailer/box swaps between the return Milan etc runs.
Unionised jobs can be a double edged sword as in my case effectively put out of the job owing to Union ‘irregularities’ based on the logic of a few extra quid in exchange for turning drivers into warehouse labourers and no say in the agreement.

Back in 1969 I had family who worked for S & R and ICI tankers you could not just walk into those jobs when I saw their wage slips my Eyes popped out …they never had a shortage of drivers ,so maybe a massive wage rise would do the trick…but maybe not there is the new working conditions that belong in the 1950,s

fuse:
Back in 1969 I had family who worked for S & R and ICI tankers you could not just walk into those jobs when I saw their wage slips my Eyes popped out

I knew someone at school who’s father was a fuel tanker driver in the 1970’s mortgage paid for without his mum needing to go to work while my engineer father was still not even half way into his with my mum also working.
I don’t know if he eventually followed his Father into the job as he’d planned but it was one of the examples which also confirmed my intention to drive trucks from day 1 but I had no interest in local work.