2.3M fine for stagecoach,driver 77 causes 2 deaths

speedlink83:
Stagecoach use GreenRoad which is similar to microlise - so there would have been flags via that system. .

All of them things are crap. Last time I drove a truck which had it fitted I got a “harsh steering” warning every time I drove over a pothole in the yard.

Apparently, a ‘score’ of 10 or so was pretty average, but this guy had much higher ‘scores’ - up to 50 on some occasions.

Over here we have a ‘chain of command’ thing which goes back up the line to whoever is running the outfit. Do you not have that over there nowadays?

peterm:
Over here we have a ‘chain of command’ thing which goes back up the line to whoever is running the outfit. Do you not have that over there nowadays?

Good question.
After Zeebrugge I thought that there was a ‘corporate manslaughter’ law brought in?
Looks like there has been some ‘corporate buck passing’ going on in this case?
High up in the chain of command here they seem to get big rewards but avoid real responsibility. Maybe it is setting of unrealistic targets that encourages middle managers to ignore warnings?

As Albion points out also age itself is not criteria to sack anyone, and there is risk of litigation of it’s used. But we seem to have an aging work force in transport so are medical taking sufficient account of mental acidity?
I don’t know what the standards are, but if this driver is unfit to stand trial now, how mentally unfit was he 3 years ago?
And to repeat what I said earlier, we too often all kid ourselves about our health, and don’t notice gradual deterioration of physical shape. We especially don’t notice lessening of our own mental abilities.
And with no magic bullet cure, we could tend to ignore any signs. Why about what we can’t do owt about?
No easy solution here that I can see.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

On the radio the reckon there is over 7000, drivers 70 or above

This guy would of been playing the R card and the ageist card if he’d of been challenged face to face.

malcolmgbell:

I’m an older driver, 71 last July, I’ve had a medical every year since 2012.
My next one is booked for Dec 11th. I’m lucky, I don’t need to work, some of my old workmates are in desperate straights the extra cash is a lifeline. They’ve worked all their lives and can’t see an end to it. My dcpc runs out next September and I won’t be renewing it, but I will still be able to drive on the vintage scene. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

malcolmgbell:

My next one is booked for Dec 11th. I’m lucky, I don’t need to work, some of my old workmates are in desperate straights the extra cash is a lifeline. They’ve worked all their lives and can’t see an end to it. My dcpc runs out next September and I won’t be renewing it, but I will still be able to drive on the vintage scene. Regards Kev.

This highlights the farcical rules we have regarding health checks. My C+E & D+E licences expire next month as I am over 65 and have had annual medicals until now. The ludicrous thing is that I own a coach that is 12 metres long and weighs 9 tonnes unladen and I can carry on driving that basically forever.

I am 65 years young but think that I will bow out when my DCPC expires next year for every ones benefit. Its wrong that a medical can be conducted in 15 minutes but there you go, who listens to the likes of me. Its just not right that an older person does a full shift, if they were keeping the wheels turning over a lunch hour then that’s ok if they are up to it.

waddy640:

kevmac47:

malcolmgbell:

This highlights the farcical rules we have regarding health checks. My C+E & D+E licences expire next month as I am over 65 and have had annual medicals until now. The ludicrous thing is that I own a coach that is 12 metres long and weighs 9 tonnes unladen and I can carry on driving that basically forever.

Yeah the rules are a joke however it might help if drivers actually realised themselves that they are not fit and just quit but unfortunately sometimes the wages are more important than safety.

jakethesnake:

waddy640:

kevmac47:

malcolmgbell:

Yeah the rules are a joke however it might help if drivers actually realised themselves that they are not fit and just quit but unfortunately sometimes the wages are more important than safety.

The situation will not improve if the pension age keeps being put back and people have to keep on working to earn money to pay the bills. It has to be addressed otherwise this could be a regular thing happening. There was an accident in Glasgow four years ago, where as I recall, the driver of a bin lorry killed some people and was found to be unfit to drive at the time of the accident. He had a long history of health problems but said nothing about them.

thescottishsun.co.uk/news/s … ry-clarke/

Yes quite agree. Exactly what can happen if its left up to the individual to make the decision.

You only have to look at the track history of the former owner of Stagecoach, to get an idea of the style of senior directors . Mrs Gloag , the same person that bought Manston Airport , promised to keep it running but closed it within a year and sold it .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk