1960's &70's town centre lorry parks, where were they?

Who remembers the truck park on Vallance Road, London E1, just behind Whitechapel Station. It was a bit tight if you got there too late !
GS

Kendal parking by the river, probably gone now, plenty of pubs etc. Les.

lespullan:
Kendal parking by the river, probably gone now, plenty of pubs etc. Les.

Yes used that parking a few times.Stayed at Clara’s Digs at the top of the Car Park in the 1960s

Still 2 in Penzance £10 from 6pm to 8am, no weight restrictions

The harbour car park has a fair few in every night, cafe by the car park opens at 6am for breakfast

Another about a mile further west towards Newlyn right beside the sea - Coop, Lidl & the Alex pub just across the road, chippy 100yds - Town Centre only 5 mins walk

If you park by the wall - as in the pic - you can see straight out to sea across the beach

GS OVERLAND:
Who remembers the truck park on Vallance Road, London E1, just behind Whitechapel Station. It was a bit tight if you got there too late !
GS

Guilty Me Lud. :laughing: although I seem to remember that it wasn’t behind the station. :confused:
You had to approach the lorry park off Whitechapel Road as there was a low bridge further along Vallance Road. I.I.R.C. it was a row of about a dozen or more houses that had been wiped out during The Blitz where cars used to park up during the day and lorries parked at night. The attendant used to sit and sleep in a little wooden garden shed next to the gate. If you arrived there before 4 p.m. you had to park in the side street until there was a space to fit you in. After 5 p.m. there was a big shuffle around, early starters by the gate and late starters parked up against the back wall. The Jamaican guy who did the night shift allegedly had a roll of his own car park tickets which you paid about 50 pence and he gave you a ticket stamped 80 pence, the 50 pence went straight into his pocket.
The was an Irish Witch called Bridget The Midget who frequented or haunted the place offering her services and she didn’t work Quick Fit, although I suppose she could of done.
We used to walk around the corner onto Whitechapel Road for a wash in the Y.M.C.A. or The Salvation Army doss house where they would let you have a wash for 10 pence.
There were lots of cafés around and it was never unusual for seven or eight drivers to go drinking in The Blind Beggar or walk down to Aldgate to see the stripper in the Red Lion.
Somewhere on Vallance Road there was a Jewish bakers which opened at about 10 p.m. and sold fresh Bagels which were still warm so after the pubs stopped serving at 11p.m. (when the pubs Up North closed at 10.30 p.m. during the week) a bunch of lorry drivers would be walking back to their cabs around midnight.
I remember A1 drivers from Leeds parking up there, in fact they were mostly Northern drivers who were the regulars.

B.T.W. Gavin, I have just looked on Google Street view and where we used to go for a wash now looks like the Jagonari Women’s Education Centre.

Where the lorry park on Vallance Road used to be.
maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/st … IG5lgaF8Qg

grumpy old man:
Plymouth had one that was actually IN the bus station. It was ok, I had some good nights there AND staff canteen and ‘facilities’ early morning. Wash and a shave before a decent breakfast. :smiley:

The Bus Station here in Plymouth has moved to a new place in town and the old one has been sat empty and boarded off for a while now. I don’t know why they shut it up for trucks. This guy just pulling out in the morning before the buses start getting busy…

goo.gl/maps/1skfk2Q3Ee22

whisperingsmith:
Still 2 in Penzance £10 from 6pm to 8am, no weight restrictions

The harbour car park has a fair few in every night, cafe by the car park opens at 6am for breakfast

Another about a mile further west towards Newlyn right beside the sea - Coop, Lidl & the Alex pub just across the road, chippy 100yds - Town Centre only 5 mins walk

If you park by the wall - as in the pic - you can see straight out to sea across the beach

Penzance , brings back some memories.
Park at the station hop on the bus to Newlyn to the Fishermans Mission for a shower and a cuppa with a game of snooker. Back on the bus then up to The Longboat for your evening meal, then it wa around the pubs in town

Hi all, Does anyone out there remember Backchurch Lane ? Lots of mention of Aldgate and the Red Lion but no mention of Backchurch Lane. Not an official lorry park I know but just a narrow street. Suprising how many lorries you could get down there. Round to Farmers cafe in Leman Street for a steak sandwich after the Red Lion. In those days being young and fit I would sometimes walk up to a Greek restaurant in Brick Lane for an evening meal and on up to The Well and Bucket, Bethnal Green Road.
Hard old days but when you are looking back it seemed to be fun.
Nobby.

Greetings,All.
A long time ago,but is the Cattle Market car park opposite Ted’s digs of Nottingham still there? IIRC,it was a large park,and we used it when on for VP Wines in the 60’s.900x20.

dave docwra:
The old lorry park at Edmonton is now the Ikea site…

willowby lane wasn’t it Dave… was it an old Gas works at one time… it was handy walk over the bridge
and into a main street a good pub just down the road. i was loading Ridgways tea out of the industrial estate
just across the way was it called the angel just there
john

Sanbach town centre was full every week night there must have been 50 lorries at least. all the pubs did beds,
many scotch lads run down sunday night… as usual the snobs put lorries onto sandbach services and the town died over night
john

3300John:
Sanbach town centre was full every week night there must have been 50 lorries at least. all the pubs did beds,
many scotch lads run down sunday night… as usual the snobs put lorries onto sandbach services and the town died over night
john

They should have let anyone driving an ERF stay though, John :wink: ! Robert

Wasn’t there a truck park in Bristol, down by where the SS Great Britain now resides? If you weren’t out early they used to put up a market and you were stuck?

Temple Meads, was it?

Richard J:
Wasn’t there a truck park in Bristol, down by where the SS Great Britain now resides? If you weren’t out early they used to put up a market and you were stuck?

Temple Meads, was it?

Cannons Marsh - opposite side of the docks, where the Lloyds bank offices and Sealife Centre now stand.

Steve

The one I always liked in the mid seventies was Market Harborough on the slag run to/from Corby, lovely town then,
also Doncaster ready for morning tip in UKD distribution.
Norman

3300John:

dave docwra:

willowby lane wasn’t it Dave… was it an old Gas works at one time… it was handy walk over the bridge
and into a main street a good pub just down the road. i was loading Ridgways tea out of the industrial estate
john

Hi John, Willowby Lane Edmonton rings an old bell. :confused: wasn’t there a B.and G. Transport yard there with a little pub on one of the corners. I once spent a miserable, cold, rainy, winters night parked in the street in a Bedford T.K.
The only food on offer in the pub was a packet of crisps and a packet of Pork scratching’s. “Sorry, we don’t sell peanuts”.
Torquey coach park in summer was completely different, I know which one I preferred. :wink:

3300John:

dave docwra:

john

Hi John, You are right It was part of the old gas works site & you would have walked back over the railway bridge to Dysons Road, just at the bottom of the bridge on the right was a short lived cafe & digs, the pub I think was where Brantwood car breakers compound is now, there was no north/south route road back then either, funnily enough I still refer to the road as the new road, it has to have been opened now for about 30 years

TIR Original:
Hi all, Does anyone out there remember Backchurch Lane ? Lots of mention of Aldgate and the Red Lion but no mention of Backchurch Lane. Not an official lorry park I know but just a narrow street. Suprising how many lorries you could get down there. Round to Farmers cafe in Leman Street for a steak sandwich after the Red Lion. In those days being young and fit I would sometimes walk up to a Greek restaurant in Brick Lane for an evening meal and on up to The Well and Bucket, Bethnal Green Road.
Hard old days but when you are looking back it seemed to be fun.
Nobby.

Backchurch Lane great night out, Beaties café for the evening meal, I can see her now, tea darling, steak dinner darling, bread n butter darling, every time she said darling the price went up, " brilliant " Les.

A few more Long Eaton, Nuneaton, Taunton great night Turks Head pub, and Southampton Juniper Berry pub, Worcester Dolphin pub, all good places for food and drink. Les.

Lancaster was a good night ,park in town a quick walk tae a toilet block then plenty o bars ,lots o students lol :smiley: