15 minute checks

AndrewG:
Personally see it as actually living in fear of dvsa/vosa and letting these ‘authorities’ rule lives. Concerns over p.o.a and using break while being tipped with the assumption dvsa are watching just around the corner are another two great examples.
Re checks,i only check the trailer but always have a good look at the tyres for bulges/splits ect (inner walls inc) as well as pulling it forward half a turn of the wheels to double check the tyres under load.
Edit- OP-no ridiculing involved here, as long as youve checked everything over and sure in your mind everything is how it should be the ‘15 minute check’ is neither here nor there…

Your first sentence is so true, its quite sad really.

There’s another thread running where some utter thunderfud puts walking to his car and de icing the windows as other work. :laughing: :laughing:

A.

Adonis.:

AndrewG:
Personally see it as actually living in fear of dvsa/vosa and letting these ‘authorities’ rule lives. Concerns over p.o.a and using break while being tipped with the assumption dvsa are watching just around the corner are another two great examples.
Re checks,i only check the trailer but always have a good look at the tyres for bulges/splits ect (inner walls inc) as well as pulling it forward half a turn of the wheels to double check the tyres under load.
Edit- OP-no ridiculing involved here, as long as youve checked everything over and sure in your mind everything is how it should be the ‘15 minute check’ is neither here nor there…

Your first sentence is so true, its quite sad really.

There’s another thread running where some utter thunderfud puts walking to his car and de icing the windows as other work. :laughing: :laughing:

A.

Bloody brainwashed :unamused:
They think because they hold a HGV licence that VOSA own them. :unamused:

robroy:

tango boy:
Lol

Must admit I had to hold myself back from saying something :laughing: ,… but the fun police have told us we aint allowed to ridicule the ridiculous anymore on here. :cry: :bulb:

Hi Rob, I think it is a fair question as it is one I sometimes have to answer to the office about when I only show 2 or 3 minutes for a check but never had a problem with the authorities on that score.

So where does this fictitious 15 minutes come from??

I tramp all week with same fridge, boxvan or Euroliner. The first time I pick the trailer it will take 10 to 20 minutes to hitch up and ensure all is acceptable.

Like others said I too keep an eye on it most times I leave the cab, down one side and back the other.

A La Franglais this includes throwing the back of my hand on or close to the tyres and hubs on a stop to see that they are all the same, no hot one or cold one as I was shown by wise men back in the day when things went wrong a lot more often.

Thus a daily check in the morning after I open the curtains is 2 or 3 minutes to check fluid levels, lights working, no flats, leaks, stuff missing or other interference and that is what goes on the tacho unless I find a problem that needs reporting/fixing.

I will not sit there sipping a latte for 12 more minutes and make a false tacho entry that I was doing other work, namely a daily inspection if in fact I was on a break.

I won’t run bent just to suit a false perception that one must log 15 minutes and I glad to see Adonis and Dieseldog don’t fiddle the record either. :smiley:

I’m surprised to see how many others here are less than honest with their tacho …but their secret is safe with me. :grimacing:

If they find a defect you should have spotted it doesn’t matter how long you book for a pre trip inspection, if they don’t find a defect, the same applies. So it’s easy, do your checks and drive away, the time taken is irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Included in your ‘pre flight checks’ would be doing paperwork, time sheets and for some of us getting the road atlas out and seeing exactly where the hell you are and where you’re going! So as well as doing your walk around I think 10 mins can easily be consumed legitimately.

It takes as long as it takes, and that’s how long shows up on my tacho. It’s normally around the 5-10 minute mark.

I also like to check around the wheels when I stop, and I’ll do a quick once-round the lorry (especially checking the pin) before leaving somewhere I’ve stopped.

It doesn’t take much effort at all, I don’t know how so many people can make a huge deal out of it.

I am the only driver of the truck, but we park in another companies yard, so a walk around is done every day, and usually takes around 10 mins.

Ken.

Hurryup&wait:

robroy:

tango boy:
Lol

Must admit I had to hold myself back from saying something :laughing: ,… but the fun police have told us we aint allowed to ridicule the ridiculous anymore on here. :cry: :bulb:

Hi Rob, I think it is a fair question as it is one I sometimes have to answer to the office about when I only show 2 or 3 minutes for a check but never had a problem with the authorities on that score.

I tramp all week with same fridge, boxvan or Euroliner. The first time I pick the trailer it will take 10 to 20 minutes to hitch up and ensure all is acceptable.

Like others said I too keep an eye on it most times I leave the cab, down one side and back the other.

A La Franglais this includes throwing the back of my hand on or close to the tyres and hubs on a stop to see that they are all the same, no hot one or cold one as I was shown by wise men back in the day when things went wrong a lot more often.

Thus a daily check in the morning after I open the curtains is 2 or 3 minutes to check fluid levels, lights working, no flats, leaks, stuff missing or other interference and that is what goes on the tacho unless I find a problem that needs reporting/fixing.

I will not sit there sipping a latte for 12 more minutes and make a false tacho entry that I was doing other work, namely a daily inspection if in fact I was on a break.

I won’t run bent just to suit a false perception that one must log 15 minutes and I glad to see Adonis and Dieseldog don’t fiddle the record either. :smiley:

I’m surprised to see how many others here are less than honest with their tacho …but their secret is safe with me. :grimacing:

Really?..It’s hardly ‘running bent’ mate doing as long as it takes to check, then spending the other 10 mins drinking your coffee really is it,…m bit of an over statement is that I reckon.
It’s called covering your arse, seen to be doing the right thing and ticking ‘‘their’’ boxes.
Most tacho regs (not all) are ■■■■■■■■…end of, and don’t get me started on wtd :unamused: . I just play along with ‘‘their’’ silly games to keep my licence and the money I have earned,.I virtually never get any infringements so I’m managing to do just that. :bulb:
I certainly don’t get neurotic about it like many on here, worrying about this, that and the ■■■■ other aspects of this over regulated job.
That was my point.
No offence mate, but personally I would not bother my arse about getting 10 mins pay while drinking your coffee or ‘‘making a false tacho entry’’ while appearing to be working.
In a score of 1 to 10 in serious offences it aint even on the scale, but obviously you and me are very different in our approach to the job.

robroy:

Hurryup&wait:

robroy:

tango boy:
Lol

Really?..It’s hardly ‘running bent’ mate doing as long as it takes to check, then spending the other 10 mins drinking your coffee really is it,…m bit of an over statement is that I reckon.
It’s called covering your arse, seen to be doing the right thing and ticking ‘‘their’’ boxes.
Most tacho regs (not all) are ■■■■■■■■…end of, and don’t get me started on wtd :unamused: . I just play along with ‘‘their’’ silly games to keep my licence and the money I have earned,.I virtually never get any infringements so I’m managing to do just that. :bulb:
I certainly don’t get neurotic about it like many on here, worrying about this, that and the [zb] other aspects of this over regulated job.
That was my point.
No offence mate, but personally I would not bother my arse about getting 10 mins pay while drinking your coffee or ‘‘making a false tacho entry’’ while appearing to be working.
In a score of 1 to 10 in serious offences it aint even on the scale, but obviously you and me are very different in our approach to the job.

I’m with you on this one brother [emoji4]
I’m a pretty compliant type of fellow but worrying about drinking coffee for the last 2 minutes of ‘vehicle checks’ doesn’t overly worry me…come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever considered it before [emoji848]

I’ve watched the VOSA video on daily checks and at no time does anybody say it should take 15 minutes, in fact they don’t give a time, but just show you what to check, do this in 5 minutes or 25 minutes and its ok, very much depends how well you know your truck, there are things like calibration dates and trailer MOT that if they had 6 months to run when you checked at the start of the week will not really need checking for the rest of the week.

However if you are told by some micro managing logistics operation to take 15 minutes then that’s what you do. I personally think the 15 minutes comes from the various timing exercises on the operators cpc exams, as it makes the calculations nice and easy.

But as Newmercman said regardless of time taken if you miss the blindingly obvious the DVSA chap will suggest you haven’t done you checks properly regardless of what time your tacho shows as other work at the start of the day.

robroy:

Hurryup&wait:

robroy:

tango boy:
Lol

I will not sit therek. sipping a latte for 12 more minutes and make a false tacho entry that I was doing other work, namely a daily inspection if in fact I was on a brea

I certainly don’t get neurotic about it like many on here, worrying about this, that and the [zb] other aspects of this over regulated job.
That was my point.

Rob !
I`m surprised at you. I saw a tongue very firmly stuck in a cheek there.

If that WAS the case, I’ll use tiredness and early morning as an excuse. :smiley:

15 minute checks are simply because that is the way log books, paper cards and manual entries are set out, if you parked up last night, the truck and trailer was fine, in the morning, check your diesel hasn’t been stolen, count your wheels and check the load, if it’s dark, check your lights. Your MOT and Road Tax isn’t going to suddenly expire

I think some people have got things the wrong way around.

Let’s say you get pulled in daytime for having a brake light out. You can avoid a ticket if you can convince the ‘nice’ man/lady that all was in order when you checked the vehicle at the start of the shift.

But that defence goes out of the window if the tacho shows you started your shift when you drove the truck away.

GasGas:
I think some people have got things the wrong way around.

Let’s say you get pulled in daytime for having a brake light out. You can avoid a ticket if you can convince the ‘nice’ man/lady that all was in order when you checked the vehicle at the start of the shift.

But that defence goes out of the window if the tacho shows you started your shift when you drove the truck away.

Tang on the bang ain’t got time for this nonsense!

A check takes as long as it takes, 5 mins, 10 mins or 3 mins. If you record 15 mins each day for checks, then to me and probably vosa, it looks obvious that your not actually doing the checks at all but merely recording 15 mins and waiting to set off. Most trucks nowadays have a light check facility by pressing a button on your key fob, so the checks are quicker anyway nowadays. I don’t kick tires either, as my foot is not a pressure gauge, a quick look is all that is required for splits or looking flat. These checks are all about passing blame, and not actually checking for defects.

I, like others am the only driver of my vehicle. Tacho remains in all of the working week, open door set mode of duty, (ie) other work. Check levels, start engine, lights, walk around for a visual check for flats, load security, Kingpin engaged and then into cab and write 'no faults or defects found at start of shift’ at he top of that days entry of my weekly timesheet,draw attention to it with a yellow highlight pen and set off.

No multi entry defect report book used on our firm so it seems to suffice. I have been checked by VOSA and they have never queried that fact either.

UKtramp:
A check takes as long as it takes, 5 mins, 10 mins or 3 mins. If you record 15 mins each day for checks, then to me and probably vosa, it looks obvious that your not actually doing the checks at all but merely recording 15 mins and waiting to set off. These checks are all about passing blame, and not actually checking for defects.

Bloody hell mate, I don’t buy that at all :open_mouth: , if your theory is right, then you can’t win whatever you do.
If they do get arsey let them prove I did not use the full time for a check…Innocent until proven guilty mate. :bulb: ■■■■ em.

Pokerblade:
Hi folks I’m just wondering how long should my pre shift checks take? I’ve been told they should be at least 15 minutes? But I’m running out of things to check after 8 minutes? Will vosa fine me if I take less than 15?

Well if you’re doing your tacho properly you should easily take more than 15.

Scenario. Arrive yard 0355. Book on 0400, talk with traffic operator, he gives me paperwork, off to find the truck. First thing is put the card in. By this time it’s about 0408. Do the manual entries from last working day and that day i.e. 0400 - 0408 = X. Then I load gear into truck. Check the oil, if a Scania/Volvo get out kitchen roll undo grille check oil on dipstick. Next check radiator (cap off gloved finger in, any water on finger = ok, if not top up), top up screen wash, grille down. By now another 5 mins or so has elapsed and I’ve not even walked around the truck yet…

The reason I do it in in this order is simple.

1. Record on the tacho card first (stops subsequent arguments)
  2. If the truck’s got no oil I don’t start the engine. If there is no water I don’t start the engine.
  3. Walk around the rig. If there’s owt wrong with it I don’t waste my time completing oodles of paperwork for I truck that I might not take out the yard.

Now if you were o/nighting in it, many of the more difficult defects you’d know about from the previous day e.g. parts of bodywork hanging off (unless you’re a tipper driver and don’t give a …), o licence, mot disc on trailer etc so its usually the more obvious show stoppers you are picking up, tyres, lights and the like.

It takes me between 30 and 60 minutes to leave a yard (from booking on) depending upon how far parking area is from the truck, how busy is traffic office, couple up to a trailer, security of load. If they want it done properly, it takes time. I’m working not in a race.

newmercman:
If they find a defect you should have spotted it doesn’t matter how long you book for a pre trip inspection, if they don’t find a defect, the same applies. So it’s easy, do your checks and drive away, the time taken is irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Surely at this time of year we should be sat with the engine running for a good 15 minutes while we wait for the oil to come up to temperature… [emoji851]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk