107 C1E restriction on UK-FULL HGV /CE licence

I know all that perfectly, the point is that the 107 restriction should NOT be applied to the C1E unless it is also applied to recently acquired CE qualifications. What are the medical requirements for C1E without the 107 restriction.

matamoros:
I know all that perfectly, the point is that the 107 restriction should NOT be applied to the C1E unless it is also applied to recently acquired CE qualifications.

EH !!!

The free pre 97 category of C1+E was given a 107 code so the driver could do no more than use a C1 with a 750 kgs trailer
7500 + 750 = 8250 which is the max limit for a C1 on its own
A C1+E 107 allows that same max 8250 for C1 to be used in other senarios such as 6000 + 2250 or 5000 + 3250 which is why that 8250 is the total MAM/GVW allowed

matamoros:
What are the medical requirements for C1E without the 107 restriction.

Same as any other LGV category that has been obtained by a DSA test

Again I understand all that, but the question remains is the 107 restriction applied to recently qualified CE licences.

I will emphasis again I have no FREE entitlements on my licence,all the entitlements mentioned above were earned by passing my class 1 in 1974.

Essentially I am being treated exactly the same as someone who obtained C1 and C1E licences by grandfather rights and possibly never driven anything larger than a car, which is the reason for the 107 restriction,and not someone who has driven large vehicles with the necessary qualifications for 40 years.

My wife now has exactly the same entitlement as me and the thought of her driving a combination up to 8250k is frightening.

“Same as any other LGV category that has been obtained by a DSA test”

Does that mean that a D4 medical is required annually for an unrestricted C1E licence after age 65 ? I am aware of the requirements for a C1E (107).
An answer to this question in the positive would explain the apparent anomaly and unfairness.

matamoros:
Again I understand all that, but the question remains is the 107 restriction applied to recently qualified CE licences.

I will emphasis again I have no FREE entitlements on my licence,all the entitlements mentioned above were earned by passing my class 1 in 1974.

Essentially I am being treated exactly the same as someone who obtained C1 and C1E licences by grandfather rights and possibly never driven anything larger than a car, which is the reason for the 107 restriction,and not someone who has driven large vehicles with the necessary qualifications for 40 years.

My wife now has exactly the same entitlement as me and the thought of her driving a combination up to 8250k is frightening.

Why would a 107 code be applied to those who pass a C1+E DSA test (or C+E which covers C1+E) ■■?

The 107 code is ONLY applied to those who got it for free with the pre 1997 car test

Do you have the same list on your photocard licence that I specified earlier ?

matamoros:

Does that mean that a D4 medical is required annually for an unrestricted C1E licence after age 65 ? I am aware of the requirements for a C1E (107).
An answer to this question in the positive would explain the apparent anomaly and unfairness.

I do hope you are serious, which is worrying, and not winding me up ?

The FREE pre 97 C1+E 107 has the same expiry date as the car licence = age 70
At age 70 a D4 medical is needed to validate it for another 3 years and then a D4 medical every 3 years after that

Any LGV category gained by passing a DSA test requires a D4 medical to keep it valid
From age 65 a D4 medical is required yearly

I did not get my C1E entitlement for free by having a pre 1997 car licence, I already held a full class 1 HGV entitlement at that time. You say “Why would a 107 code be applied to those who pass a C1+E DSA test (or C+E which covers C1+E) ■■?”

I would say why would a 107 code be applied to someone who has already held a full class 1 entitlement for 23 years prior to 1997 ■■?

ROG:

matamoros:

I do hope you are serious, which is worrying, and not winding me up ?

The FREE pre 97 C1+E 107 has the same expiry date as the car licence = age 70
At age 70 a D4 medical is needed to validate it for another 3 years and then a D4 medical every 3 years after that

Any LGV category gained by passing a DSA test requires a D4 medical to keep it valid
From age 65 a D4 medical is required yearly

Why would that be worrying, a simple question :- are the age restrictions different for an unrestricted C1E and a C!E (107)

As I said, I am aware of the medical requirements for the restricted C1E

matamoros:
are the age restrictions different for an unrestricted C1E and a C!E (107)

Nope - exactly the same = age 18

ROG:

matamoros:
are the age restrictions different for an unrestricted C1E and a C!E (107)

Nope - exactly the same = age 18

Now you are just trying to be a smartarse, you knew perfectly well what I meant.

The problem with trainers etc is that they assume an understanding of acronyms etc, DSA , D4 meant nothing to me until I joined in this thread. It is nearly 40 years since I took any form of test and 5 years since my last medical and I do not look at the number of the form. I keep up to date with legislation that affects me and I am well aware of the categories of vehicle that I am entitled to drive but have neither the time or the inclination to keep up with the names of Govt departments etc.For all I know there could be a different level of medical examination needed for C1E, I renew my licence on the appropriate expiry date on my licence.

Since you seem unable to give a simple answer to a simple question( to a simple fellow) then I will IMPLY from your answer that the same medical conditions apply to a C1E licence as a CE licence ie annual medicals at 65.This means my concerns are unfounded but DVLA (and you) have complicated an issue that does not need to be.

My licence has a 107 restriction overriden by my CE entitlement and I can see that this makes no practical difference to my entitlements at age 65, I either take my medical or not.

I presume that recent qualifiers of CE have automatic C1E entitlement without 107 both expiring at the same time so at 65 if CE is not renewed then a 107 restriction would be placed on the C1E entitlement. Exactly the same position that I am In.

So why did DVLA place this restriction on my licence previously, I know this makes no practical difference to the outcome but has led to a feeling of being cheated out of an entitlement at 65. One system or the other!! would it not have been simpler to give me, and many others that held full CE entitlement, a full C1E with the same expiry date as the CE. Exactly the same effect but no confusio.

Thank you for your help in clarifying this matter, I would hope that you explain things much better( without attempting to take the ■■■■) to your trainees.

I have answered your questions from the way you asked them

If you want different answers then ask the question in a different way

I am not a mind reader but try to anticipate what you mean

It is harder to answer a person who has an agenda because they want answers that fit in with that agenda

You asked about age restrictions for a certain categories and the answer is that the ages for them are exactly the same as they now start at age 18 and have no top age

The D4 medical has to be mentioned to seperate it from any other type of medical and I have stated when a D4 medical will be required for the categoies depending on how they were obtained which was free with the car licence if pre 97 of by passing a DSA driving test

It seems that the issue is not on my end but on yours in the understanding of the two different ways the categories have been obtained

Please answer my previous question about what categories are actually showing on your photocard and the expiry dates for each because it seems odd that you are saying that you do not have the free ones !! ■■

matamoros:
I presume that recent qualifiers of CE have automatic C1E entitlement without 107 both expiring at the same time so at 65 if CE is not renewed then a 107 restriction would be placed on the C1E entitlement. Exactly the same position that I am In.

If those that got car and LGV after 1997 did not renew the medical at age 65 then they will not get any LGV entitlements at all left on the licence

I think this is the point you have missed … yes?

matamoros:
So why did DVLA place this restriction on my licence previously, I know this makes no practical difference to the outcome but has led to a feeling of being cheated out of an entitlement at 65. One system or the other!! would it not have been simpler to give me, and many others that held full CE entitlement, a full C1E with the same expiry date as the CE. Exactly the same effect but no confusion.

The DfT/DSA/DVLA would have been happy to continue giving out the free LGV C1 and C1+E 107 but it was the EU which over ruled our UK laws and introduced a new system which is why there had to be a change in 1997
The only other option for the UK govt would have been to take away the free LGV categories from those that already had them and that would not have gone down well !!!

I have used the current terminology in these posts because it gets confusing to use the old UK HGV system with the current EU licencing system

I have the so called free ones which in my opinion should not be described as such in my position as they were earned. At the moment I have no CE entitlement because I had to renew my photocard licence in January and my CE entitlement ran out in Feb and I am out of the country at the moment so am unable to take a medical, I may or may not renew when I return in a few weeks.

I still think that DVLA have muddied the waters on this issue by not treating previously qualified holders of CE licences in the same way as new qualifiers.

I do not have an agenda and am simply seeking clarity on this issue.

I posted this “Does that mean that a D4 medical is required annually for an unrestricted C1E licence after age 65 ?”
and then this " are the age restrictions different for an unrestricted C1E and a C!E (107)"
I would have thought it obvious which age I was referring to. I would hope you would agree with my summation of the situation, if you can understand it that is, perhaps my communication skills are lacking.

“If those that got car and LGV after 1997 did not renew the medical at age 65 then they will not get any LGV entitlements at all left on the licence”

“I think this is the point you have missed … yes?”

I must admit that I still do not see that this would be the case surely they would simply be automatically issued with a107restricted C1E at 65.Alternatively a 107 restriction be placed on newly qulified and then everyone is in the same position.

Your second point I do not fully understand because of your reference to free entitlements, in my case I was already entitled to drive the vehicles covered by the then new C1 and C1&E so it was not free but qualified.

The DVLA are treating current and previous CE holders exactly the same - they are not legally allowed to do otherwise

Those who passed th car test prior to 1997 were issued with other categories which nowadays a test needs to be passed to get them

Those lucky pre 1997 car test drivers got them on a different system which was changed in 1997

It could be argued that those passing car test after 1996 were not treated the same as those that did it before that and lost out on what we got for ‘free’

ROG:
The DVLA are treating current and previous CE holders exactly the same - they are not legally allowed to do otherwise

Those who passed th car test prior to 1997 were issued with other categories which nowadays a test needs to be passed to get them

Those lucky pre 1997 car test drivers got them on a different system which was changed in 1997

It could be argued that those passing car test after 1996 were not treated the same as those that did it before that and lost out on what we got for ‘free’

I am not really concerned about the issue of C1E licences to car drivers and am aware of what happened in 1997. The issue is about previously qualified LGV drivers and they ARE being treated differently by having a 107 restriction on their licence. Admittedly this makes no practical difference but does make the situation unclear

matamoros:
The issue is about previously qualified LGV drivers and they ARE being treated differently by having a 107 restriction on their licence. Admittedly this makes no practical difference but does make the situation unclear

Thats the point - they are not treated any differently

I think what you want is for those who got the 107 with the pre 97 C1+E to retain it without the code if they then passed a DSA test which covered that category

The thing is that those in that position do have that choice - by keeping the medical up to date

If they do not keep up with the medical then they lose only the C1+E without the code but, unlike those who did not get it before 97, they still have the one with the code and should be thankful for it

in 50 years time all this will be academic

I have obviously not explained myself clearly, I now realise that the 107 restriction has and will not make any practical difference to me but still cannot accept the way that DVLA have applied different methods of achieving the same result.I have spent the years since this restriction was applied thinking that I would be diddled out of an entitlement when I did not renew my CE at 65

It’s all academic to me NOW really as I do not envisage driving LGV’s again.

Phooo, that got a little heated.

Id imagine that anyone wishing too get a C1E (C1+E) entitlement, would under the present licensing system.

have to qualify on C1 ( without trailer ) 1st

Personally as most people would mostly want to go via the shortest route from B to CE

I cant see there being many takers for such an un-unecessary sidestep

Un-less of course you happen to work for an employer who requires C1E (C1+E) drivers & there paying :wink:

Many thanks to everyone that has contributed.

regards: de Jon

DoubleQ:
Id imagine that anyone wishing too get a C1E (C1+E) entitlement, would under the present licensing system.

have to qualify on C1 ( without trailer ) 1st

You imagined correctly