£1000 fine for driver because cyclist 'fell over'

Absolutely ridiculous, she fell off because she was still clipped in & clearly not paying attention! This is the kind of thing that worries me about the new rules, cyclists thinking there even more invincible than they were before & now with cameras to catch everything :imp:

Saw the video and it’s totally disproportionate what happened to the Land Roover driver. Cyclists armed with cameras— what heroes they are. I bet if the cyclist had caused an accident with the car, the camera guy wouldn’t have any footage then…

However the driver pleaded guilty to driving with undue care. That’s his first mistake.
He should have gone not guilty and let the Daily Mail fight his case. With a half decent solicitor, he may have got away with it. Even turn it around on the cyclist for what looks like making an exaggerated accident lead to a claim.

With the media attention, maybe the car driver can appeal?

Motorcyclist struck a pedestrian trying to cross the a38 near my work on monday.
No points or fine for him…because he’s dead.

commonrail:
Motorcyclist struck a pedestrian trying to cross the a38 near my work on monday.

Thats a harsh penalty for sure.

Perhaps a similar website could be used by HGV drivers to highlight naughty or poorly behaved cyclists. Only two problems - cyclists aren’t as easily identifiable to be prosecuted and second- you’d need a massive hard drive to save them all :smiley:

adam277:
Cyclist falls off bicycle as Land Rover Defender passes her on country lane | Daily Mail Online

I really cant see what he did wrong. Yea, I guess he might of been going a bit fast. But he didnt touch her or cause them to take evasive action.

“Going a bit fast” (and not slowing down as he approached the cyclists) on that stretch of road is pretty much a textbook example of “driving without reasonable consideration for others using the road”, which is the offence for which he was quite rightly convicted.

The fine levied was then largely predefined by the means-tested fines system that we have - the higher your income, the bigger the fine.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

commonrail:

I believe from what I was told his life support was switched off on Thursday morning. Guy I was shunting with on Wed night was telling me about it. I won’t go into details in public as it was a family member of his. It was a very sad situation and I believe the woman crossing the road had serious injuries as well, but at least is still alive.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Lack of ability on everyone’s part. But really we all see significantly worse examples of stupidity every day that is normally ignored.

granddaddylow:
Lack of ability on everyone’s part. But really we all see significantly worse examples of stupidity every day that is normally ignored.

To be fair driving without consideration for other road users would have been fair.The Land Rover driver should have stopped to let them pass because the road clearly wasn’t wide enough to allow sufficient clearance.
However the implication that there could be cyclists out there with a let’s fit up an otherwise innocent driver with a deliberate staged crash type of mentality is scary and worrying.

Rip biker [emoji22]

Land Rover driver was offered a course, and refused, hence big fine.
If I was the driver, I would of stopped and let them past.

rambo19:
Land Rover driver was offered a course, and refused, hence big fine.

You have to doff your cap to the man.

Here’s what happens when you do :- 128mph, flight from the police and crash = £293 + 5 points so long as you act contrite.
youtu.be/0hoE0O0x9jc

Looks like this could be a nice little earner, the bike rider looked like it was a well practiced fall ,sky is the limit in compo, those silly straps that hold feet in place should be banned or a test must be passed before using them

Remember the cyclist who was sued for £100 k for running over a pedestrian?
The cyclist didn’t have insurance, I think they had to pay something like 30k to the pedestrian in the end.