Swing up legs on Hiabs

Just seen that Skanska have banned some types of swing up legs on Hiabs, no doubt others will follow.

Basically if the leg is horizontal and could trap the operator when being retracted it is not acceptable, manual swing up legs are OK

Allmi report https://www.allmi.com/images/guidancenotes/ALLMI-Safety-Alert-Swing-up-Stabilisers.pdf

Be worth having a look if you have swing up legs on your hiab so you know the score.

Mine are operated from my remote so I can stand clear…however our 535 cranes will be banned from Skanksa if this is true. I will have ask the boss to drop down to a 535 then! :smiley:

If you have manual levers that are there as a backup then you will be banned, as you could operate the legs from there still

8wheels:
If you have manual levers that are there as a backup then you will be banned, as you could operate the legs from there still

No mine doesnt have back up levers. It has a fly lead to plug the remote in if the antenna is knackered and if that fails then its call out the fitter.
Pity really as I hate Skanska sites.

msgyorkie:

8wheels:

No mine doesnt have back up levers. It has a fly lead to plug the remote in if the antenna is knackered and if that fails then its call out the fitter.

I think what they’re saying is it doesn’t matter how they are operated - direct levers, remote control or fly lead, if the legs can rotate and trap the operator, then they’re banned.
Remarkably sensible as nd a tragedy it took hindsight and a fatality to identify it.

Acorn:

msgyorkie:

8wheels:

I think what they’re saying is it doesn’t matter how they are operated - direct levers, remote control or fly lead, if the legs can rotate and trap the operator, then they’re banned.
Remarkably sensible as nd a tragedy it took hindsight and a fatality to identify it.

Yes I have just reread it and in the second paragraph it does say remotes are also banned. :smiley: Best I tell the boss we can nolonger deliver to Skanska sites! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I used to have a wagon with these, I always thought they were a stupid idea. When they’ve partly swung up by hydraulics you then had to manually lift them the last 60 to 90 degrees, I would have said that was at least partly the dangerous bit as there’s quite a bit of weight in them.

One did nearly kill me, but not because of the hazard they’ve described: I pressed the lever to boom it out from the body while the leg was still in the raised position, standard practice to clear the truck body, and the leg immediately shot off the end of the ram because all four retaining screws had sheared off! To make things worse it was the off-side leg which swung down towards the position you had to stand in to operate the levers - fortunately I had a habit of keeping my eye on it as it moved, I never realized until that day how fast I could be on my feet :laughing:

msgyorkie:
Yes I have just reread it and in the second paragraph it does say remotes are also banned. :smiley: Best I tell the boss we can nolonger deliver to Skanska sites! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As a risk assessment of the kit used, I’d hope the boss will do more than just not visit Skanska sites. Otherwise it could just be a repeat of the same incident only at a different location!!! That means no lessons have been learnt.

All this jiggery pokery is new to me. The crane truck I drove, you had to pull a pin, pull the legs out (no swing up or down) replace the pin in it’s new hole and then the hydraulics lowered them. Same in reverse where the hydraulics lifted the legs. Sometimes all the auto stuff makes things worse.

Nb: I’ve never heard of the accident involving these things. I take it somone was crushed?

Acorn:

msgyorkie:

As a risk assessment of the kit used, I’d hope the boss will do more than just not visit Skanska sites. Otherwise it could just be a repeat of the same incident only at a different location!!! That means no lessons have been learnt.

Can you get cranes with legs that dont swing up that can lift 3 tonne at 16 meters? As far as Im aware the legs are too chunky and too tall on the larger cranes to be non swingers?

peterm:
All this jiggery pokery is new to me. The crane truck I drove, you had to pull a pin, pull the legs out (no swing up or down) replace the pin in it’s new hole and then the hydraulics lowered them. Same in reverse where the hydraulics lifted the legs. Sometimes all the auto stuff makes things worse.

Nb: I’ve never heard of the accident involving these things. I take it somone was crushed?

Pull out legs are for the smaller cranes such as what Jewsons use. Bigger cranes require bigger and stronger outriggers and as such there is no room for the legs to be in the down position.
Here is a short video of one setting up.

Right, thanks for that.

A few more have joined in now and Hiabs answer is £18,000 for a new valve block and Allmi answer is it’s just a training issue so there’s some money for someone with the easy or cheap answer …

Poor man. You can see how it could happen, so easily, if you were inexperienced or distracted or both.
Most log cranes now have legs which hydraulically rotate through 180 degrees, from vertically up to vertically down. Only after the leg is all the way up, does the slider retract into the subframe. All of this is controlled by the driver from the top seat, so they are clear of the moving parts.
I realise that on large cranes this may not be practical, as for one thing, they dont usually have top seats.

Punchy Dan:
A few more have joined in now and Hiabs answer is £18,000 for a new valve block and Allmi answer is it’s just a training issue so there’s some money for someone with the easy or cheap answer …

My answer is screw those jobs! But probably an easy enough job to move the levers to a safe position with some longer hoses.

8wheels:

Punchy Dan:

My answer is screw those jobs! But probably an easy enough job to move the levers to a safe position with some longer hoses.

I’ve had the free frame space option on the new un so may be just may be I can fix the legs down hill ?