Fire Engine - Cardiff to Glasgow

Hi all,

Not been on here in donkey’s years. Long story short, I emigrated to the US years ago. I bought a fire engine down in Cardiff and need to get it shifted to Glasgow as soon as possible. I’m donating it to a good cause over here in the US.

I’ll be flying to the UK early February, but it has to be shifted before then.

Does anyone have suggestions for storage in Cardiff until I can get over to the UK to make better arrangements?

I would happily drive it up the road if I still have my Class 1 (trying to find out) but insurance may be tricky to find.

Any suggestions on the above, or where to find a backload company to maybe get it up the road would be appreciated.

stagedriver:
Hi all,

Not been on here in donkey’s years. Long story short, I emigrated to the US years ago. I bought a fire engine down in Cardiff and need to get it shifted to Glasgow as soon as possible. I’m donating it to a good cause over here in the US.

Does anyone have suggestions for storage in Cardiff until I can get over to the UK to make better arrangements?

I would happily drive it up the road if I still have my Class 1 (trying to find out) but insurance may be tricky to find.

Any suggestions on the above, or where to find a backload company to maybe get it up the road would be appreciated.

Is it road registered? Tested? Tax and insurance get intertwined. Trade plates aren`t magic, but might be useful here.
If it turns out it does need transporting up on a trailer, how big is it?
“Fire Engine” could be a LandRover to an airport tender over 60 tons and 3.0metres wide.

Franglais:

stagedriver:
Hi all,

Is it road registered? Tested? Tax and insurance get intertwined. Trade plates aren`t magic, but might be useful here.
If it turns out it does need transporting up on a trailer, how big is it?

“Fire Engine” could be a LandRover to an airport tender over 60 tons and 3.0metres wide.

Good questions, it still has a plate on it, and came straight out of service recently. Untaxed (its a fire engine), has an MOT and I can arrange insurance for it.

It’s a regular Volvo fire appliance, nothing unusual size wise.

stagedriver:
Good questions, it still has a plate on it, and came straight out of service recently. Untaxed (its a fire engine), has an MOT and I can arrange insurance for it.

It’s a regular Volvo fire appliance, nothing unusual size wise.

If its now out of service is no longer a “fire engine”?
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … lasses.pdf
“12.2 Fire Engine and Fire Service
Fire Engines are:
a) constructed or adapted for use for the purpose of
fire fighting, salvage or both
b) used solely for the purpose in relation to which a
fire and rescue authority under the Fire and Rescue
Services Act 2004 or the Fire and Rescue (NI)
Order 2006 has functions (whoever uses it for those
purposes).
Any vehicle kept by a fire and rescue authority while
it is used or kept on a road for the purposes of the
authority’s fire functions”

As I understand it, even if it is still free, the tax is not transferable…even free tax isnt transferred upon sale.....the new owner needs to re-apply. I dont know the answer but I think you need to look further.

Cheaper to drive a truck chassis on the road rather than hire a low loader of course.
Maybe look at trade platers?
Are you buying from a dealer? I`d be talking to them a lot. They should be able to answer a lot of your questions.

TNUK’s very own Mike Ponsonby’s ya man to move that, send him a message.

1970commer:
TNUK’s very own Mike Ponsonby’s ya man to move that, send him a message.

Jim Horn and Nick Bull would sort you out too,

HGV recovery firm maybe, I suspect most have ample space to keep it out of the way and they can transport it without the hassle of having to insure it etc.

adam277:
HGV recovery firm maybe, I suspect most have ample space to keep it out of the way and they can transport it without the hassle of having to insure it etc.

I understood that these cost thousands for a call out and to move it a couple of miles?

stu675:

adam277:

I understood that these cost thousands for a call out and to move it a couple of miles?

A breakdown call-out will cost more than a pre-planned movement, but both will cost more than driving an apparently road worthy vehicle under it`s own power.
I think there are issues with insurance and road tax, but paying some one to do the necessary admin to sort that will 99% sure be cheaper than any recovery or lowloader work.
A recovery yard, transport yard, etc should be a suitable home for a few weeks for the fire engine.
A recovery company might charge for advice and admin but they would be worth talking to.

Just blue light it all the way, what could possibly go wrong?

the maoster:
Just blue light it all the way, what could possibly go wrong?

And no speed limiter ! :smiley:

Ack just stick yer Blue Lights on and fly up the motorway as if yer in the Cannonball Run !! :laughing:

How complex do you want to make it? Why not take to Glasgow now, store nearby till it’s shipped out, otherwise you’d have to store it twice. If you drive, it needs mit, ins and tax. If you get it fine, they could use T/plates and their business ins,but obviously needs MOT. Overall could be cheaper& easier and more likely to be at docks when you need it, to get to low loader there and it’s job done

knew someone who slept inside the water tank of his old fire engine at rallies ,something else to keep up your sleeve

adam277:

A recovery company would not be legal to tow it with its wheels on the ground unless it is a broken down vehicle. Which in this case it isn’t a broken down vehicle.

Recovery ooerators can only tow broken down vehicles with a spec lift or dolly. If it’s not broken down it needs to be driven on trade plates with insurance. Or it needs to go on the back of a low loader.

I’d look at using one of the backload portals to find someone with a low loader to move it as a backload. If there is no rush in moving it then it can be done as and when.

There are websites you can request quotes from and get various quotes, personally I’d try some low loaders companies direct if it can fitted in as and when.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

For insurance try Adrian Flux on 0800 369 8590. I have my vintage coach insured with them.
They will insure virtually anything.