Consecutive 15 hour shifts, over 2 different weeks?

So I do 4 on 4 off, and tomorrow (Monday) is the last of this 4 day block.

So far, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I have gone over my 13 hours. I have not taken any 9 hour rest periods because I refuse to.

Does the 3*15 hour rule reset because it’s a new week tomorrow, as far as the tacho is concerned? Or can I get an early finish tomorrow?

Can’t do it, as reduced rest periods count in the ‘working week’, not the ‘fixed week’, ie, between the end of one weekly rest and the start of the next.
Also, how can you work 3x15 without reducing rests? If you work 15 hours, then rest for 11 then you will start day 3 4 hours later than you started day 1, meaning in the 24 hour period from starting a shift, you will not be able to fit in even a reduced rest of 9 hours?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
Can’t do it, as reduced rest periods count in the ‘working week’, not the ‘fixed week’, ie, between the end of one weekly rest and the start of the next.
Also, how can you work 3x15 without reducing rests? If you work 15 hours, then rest for 11 then you will start day 3 4 hours later than you started day 1, meaning in the 24 hour period from starting a shift, you will not be able to fit in even a reduced rest of 9 hours?

I’ve not done 15 hours, but have gone over my 13 hours. Start times are not fixed. Started at 3:45 on Friday, and will start at 7:45 tomorrow.

As I understand, 13 hours and 1 minute counts as a 15. I refuse to take a 9 hour rest.

Shifts have been 3:45-17:45, 5:30-19:00, 6:15-20:40.

So tomorrow, I start at 7:45. The latest I can work to is 20:45?

Ok, makes sense now. Those shifts are ok, but it would have been an issue if you had the same start time every day. Yes, tomorrow you can only work a 13, so you will have to finish by 20:45

As has been said you can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between 2 weekly rest periods.

Assuming you do not have split daily rest periods any shift over 13 hours means you’re having a reduced daily rest period, even if you have 11 hours rest you cannot fit the whole 11 hours rest into the 24 hour period so it’s a reduced daily rest period.

So unless you have a split daily rest period you cannot do more than a 13 hour shift tomorrow :slight_smile:

edit:

M65Chris:
As I understand, 13 hours and 1 minute counts as a 15. I refuse to take a 9 hour rest.

It may be to your advantage to stop thinking of 15s and consider anything over a 13 hour shift as a reduced daily rest period, there’s nothing in the regulations about 15s only reduced daily rest periods :wink:

M65Chris:
So tomorrow, I start at 7:45. The latest I can work to is 20:45?

Correct.

Cheers guys. Looking forward to a relatively short shift tomorrow now!

And I never actually thought about any rest after a 15 being reduced. That’s good to know going forward.

Not that I will ever take 9 hours between finishing and starting the next day.

I’d say you’ve cut your own throat by not reducing to 9 , your now going to finish at 20.45 tonight whereas if you’d of started at 3.45 today you would of been done by 16.45