WTD Question

Can we opt out of the WTD ie average 48hrs and 60 HR weekly hours ? Thanks in advance I am aware that poa and breaks don’t cout

DCPC obviously a waste of time then…

The answer to both questions is “No”.

bjd:
Can we opt out of the WTD ie average 48hrs and 60 HR weekly hours ? Thanks in advance I am aware that poa and breaks don’t cout

As above the answer is no but which authority cares? = none

About time our Govt scrapped it apart from the 6 hours break rule which should be added to the tacho regs

Confirms my thoughts

The only WTD you can opt out of is the 10hr working time limit for night workers.

bjd:
Confirms my thoughts

Indeed it doe, you are right that you need to get that DCPC module for WTD and drivers hours booked.

toonsy:
The only WTD you can opt out of is the 10hr working time limit for night workers.

You can also opt out of working a 48hr week, but still need to keep the average to 48hrs a week within a 17/26wk period. The 60hr rule is for those that chose to opt out.

LazyDriver:
You can also opt out of working a 48hr week,

Not for RTD but yes for WTD

^^^thx

ROG:

bjd:

Not quite nobody caring, more about when someone might care: when DVSA does an inspection of the operating centre they might have something to say about it, and if goes to a PI, the TC might have a comment or two about it as well.

Zac_A:

ROG:

bjd:

Not quite nobody caring, more about when someone might care: when DVSA does an inspection of the operating centre they might have something to say about it, and if goes to a PI, the TC might have a comment or two about it as well.

DVSA don’t care about WTD. Have they ever done anyone for it? It doesn’t even have anything in the DVSA book of punishments where even the Kent Access Permit gets a section. But no space in the 300-odd pages about WTD punishments and penalties.

I believe in their eyes drivers hours rules take precedent…

Cannot believe the amount of ■■■■■■■ that get in a twist about a set of rules only pointy shoed office knobs fap about as it allows them to wield a tiny morsal of power :unamused:

toonsy:

Zac_A:

ROG:

bjd:

DVSA don’t care about WTD. Have they ever done anyone for it? It doesn’t even have anything in the DVSA book of punishments where even the Kent Access Permit gets a section. But no space in the 300-odd pages about WTD punishments and penalties.

I believe in their eyes drivers hours rules take precedent…

Cannot believe the amount of ■■■■■■■ that get in a twist about a set of rules only pointy shoed office knobs fap about as it allows them to wield a tiny morsal of power :unamused:

Yes…but no. DVSA quite rightly do not give a hoot about occasional infringements of WTD. However, if they notice a consistent pattern of offences, it can encourage them to delve deeper, because it’s an indicator of several things; ignorance or wilful disregard for the law, slack procedures by employer, and poor management standards. And since even WTD misdemeanours are legally enforceable, it gives them the perfect excuse to start digging.

You and I both know that even if there is no significant history of actual drivers hours offences on a digi-card, that same card can record WTD offences which would prove that both driver and operator are pushing work periods far above and beyond what many consider to be reasonable. Do you REALLY want to go back to working for eight or nine hours before you have a break; as you legally could before WTD? I concede that it can be a royal PITA at times especially if you have to take a fifteen when only minutes from home with driving hours to spare, but by and large I think it’s a force for good.

Sensible employers (and drivers) know that you don’t give DVSA too much rope. They won’t hang themselves, but they’re perfectly capable of hanging you.

DVSA do not have any sanctions for WTD breaches in their sanction list

ROG:

I’m quite aware of that Rog; but as I said, if they analyse the cards and find persistent serial infringements, it encourages them to look further. Slack practice in one area is often indicative of slack practice in others.

Thanks Sidevalve, that’s precisely what I was getting at:

One of the companies where I am an External TM had an DVSA inspection of their operating centre, followed by a PI (before I got on board with them). The issues that caused the inspection and PI were in their own right highly significant (covering at least two of the TC’s Seven Deadly Sins)

But still, the very lengthy written report by DVSA highlighted WTD infringements of several drivers in surprising detail, and the TC found it sufficiently interesting and valid to make an issue out of, even though he had enough to revoke their O-licence without needing to twist the knife a bit further (he gave them one last chance to get it right)

Basically it was a huge ■■■■-kicking session covering everything they needed to get straight for the near future, so for these guys even a WTD infringement needs to be avoided.

ROG:

This may be because the WTD is designed to protect the employee’s health & well-being - no point in penalising the driver at a roadside check for being exploited…?