DAF Mirror Arms

Our company have very graciously provided us with DAF trucks instead of Volvos (What a climb down)

The mirrors are fitted with guards but we’ve been having all sorts of problems with the mirror arms folding in in the wind while underway.

Does anyone know of a mod which would increase the resistance of the arm as Ford & Slater haven’t got a clue?

I would think with how old the mirror design is on a DAF they would have it sorted by now. It’s by far and away the worst truck I’ve driven to date.

Been a while but had the same issue with a previous employer. If memory serves there is a stepped spring on one end of the mirror arms that can have the holding tension increased by tightening the nut below it. It was a workshop job at the time not least because the company didn’t allow drivers to meddle with vehicle maintenance.

Are the trucks brand new? If so it doesn’t reflect well on the dealers pre delivery inspection does it.

Maybe poster Norb can advise have you tried a pm to him?

If no one’s bothered about getting this fixed, i’d be inclined to get some really brightly coloured tape and attach two tensioned lines from the mirrors to the front corners of the cab, maybe even link the mirrors with the tape threaded through the grill (wedding car style) for added effect, it’ll look bloody silly and eventually someone responsible and high enough in the pecking order will start asking wtf is going on.
embarrass them into action…oh and don’t forget to fill in a fresh defect note every day until fixed.

If you filled in a defect note can you still drive it? Is there a seriousness to a defect note whereby you can’t drive it?

Perhaps…

A couple of bungee straps might hold them in place?

Make sure they are bright yellow, then they’ll stand out a mile and hopefully catch the attention of the pointy shoe brigade.

It seems that DAF isn’t the motor it used to be.

It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with adding a larger frontal area mirror guard?

I drive a DAF CF.
The mirrors stay put [emoji6]

We also have Volvo, MAN and IVECO on our fleet.

I prefer the DAF

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I drive a Daf cf with the mirror guards for a builders merchant.
Exact same problem.
You can tighten the nut at the top of the arm and that helps a bit.
Thankfully it’s only the drivers side that seems to be affected especially in a head wind.
Duncan

stu675:
If you filled in a defect note can you still drive it? Is there a seriousness to a defect note whereby you can’t drive it?

You can have a running defect, where the vehicle is road worthy but have defect e.g night heater not working.

Perhaps keeping the speed down to about 45 mph will be enough to sufficiently reduce the force acting on the mirror and save a couple of percent fuel also? When questioned about the amount of time deliveries are taking could be a good time to remind them about the mirror arm defect!!
In the mean time it will mean more pay for lees work and may even help perpetuate the myth that there is a driver shortage…