Zeebrugge ferry disaster

youtu.be/whvdjg6i2Hc

interesting vid about the above. if posted before… tough :slight_smile:

m.a.n rules:
https://youtu.be/whvdjg6i2Hc

interesting vid about the above. if posted before… tough :slight_smile:

:laughing: Love the compassion and concern. Spoken like a real fuel man. :wink:

Cue tarmaceater, in his Mind he was on her

There was a reconstruction documentary on about three weeks ago which told the whole sad story, it all boiled down to poor work procedures that led to the bow doors being left open when the ferry left the harbour.

Frankydobo:
There was a reconstruction documentary on about three weeks ago which told the whole sad story, it all boiled down to poor work procedures that led to the bow doors being left open when the ferry left the harbour.

I saw that too, all the blame laid at the door of one bloke, its amazing that there was no fail safe fall back to check the doors were closed.
The guy I worked for at the time lost a driver on that accident, and 6 months or so later, he got overtaken on the M1 by the motor that went down on the boat. The shook him to the core.

tc trans:

Frankydobo:

I saw that too, all the blame laid at the door of one bloke, its amazing that there was no fail safe fall back to check the doors were closed.
The guy I worked for at the time lost a driver on that accident, and 6 months or so later, he got overtaken on the M1 by the motor that went down on the boat. The shook him to the core.

More than just the boatswain being asleep., although that was the immediate cause.
Officers had asked for warnings to be fitted that doors were open, but the company said no. Work and rest patterns were excessive leading to increased likelihood of ■■■■ ups. The boat wasn’t configured for that port, so should have been on a slower turnaround time to allow for ballast to be pumped.
Managers were charged with corporate manslaughter but the trial was stopped by the judge.
Boats are now designed differently with this disaster in mind.
The boatswain carries a lot of blame, but many other things could and should have been done, such that his failings wouldn’t have led to the disaster.