Did i do the right thing? *ENGINE MALFUNCTION*

Ey up

I went for an agency job and when i got in the truck with the transport guy to start it, it came up with an engine malfunction warning. Not just a check engine light but a big yellow warning on the dash computer so i told the guy i cant take this truck as its a big risk and a major mechanical issue. So i came back home as it was the only truck left.

Now, did i do the right thing? because its part of daily check and also, judging by his response, i dont think he cared about daily checks. He said “it probably just needs a service” but being a very knowledgeable and somewhat skilled in car and engine mechanics, i cant see the connection between a due ‘regular’ service and an engine malfunction unless its wayyyy over due and somethings happened like its gone in to limp mode etc

Anyways, i feel a bit bad for letting the guy down because he was uffing and puffing and also for letting the agency down but as a driver, i need to do things properly and see if the vehicle is fit for the road.

Can you guys tell me,

• What would you have done if you were an agency driver in my position?

• What would you have done if it was a permanent position and it was the only truck available? because you can easily walk away from an agency job but you cant exactly do that in a perm can you.

• Do i need to toughen up in situations like this or just do the job?

I’m new to this field so i’m still learning it all.

I’d appreciate your reply.

Cheers.

Firstly and…

Most importantly make sure you get paid the full 8 hours.

In your position you need to put it straight to the client. ‘Do you want me to take this or not?’ What ever they say is your answer.

If it’s a bald tyre or something else that could cost a fine and points then you refuse but, a check engine light is down to them.

Always get the client to make the decisions. As soon as you think for yourself, you’ve put yer arse in the sling.

That’s a tough one. But I would have told him like you did. But if he said it was ok I’d have taken it as it was an agency job.

Could have only been a false alarm as lorries get full of mud and switches get jammed up and malfunction.

When it happens in my agency job (been there for 3 yrs) I take it to the garage and they reset it or fix it depending on the truck as some we know do it as the switches are faulty.

Ultimately I think you did the right thing. You could have broken down and been stranded for hours… although if your paid by the hour [emoji2957][emoji57]

yourhavingalarf:
Firstly and…

In your position you need to put it straight to the client. ‘Do you want me to take this or not?’ What ever they say is your answer.

If it’s a bald tyre or something else that could cost a fine and points then you refuse but, a check engine light is down to them.

Always get the client to make the decisions. As soon as you think for yourself, you’ve put yer arse in the sling.

Yep.
In most agency situations, and most big company situations, you don’t make decisions…
Assuming it is not safety critical, phone and ask what they want you do.
If safety related (red warning, brakes, tyres) it is down to you. A yellow light is down to them.
Smaller companies where full time drivers keep the same truck etc, it is different, but mostly you should just pass the buck.

I would definitely put it on a defect note and get it signed before you leave.

In my place it would be straight to the workshop. No questions asked and no fault of yours.

Just the idea of a PG9 sends shivers down my directors necks. We like our green OCRS score and want to keep it that way. Especially with earned recognition firmly in our radar.

But unfortunately that’s not what a good chunk of companies work like.

You did the right thing in my mind. Putting my rose tinted glasses down, I do wonder why the vehicle you were given was the last one left in the yard and wonder how long it’s been left with warning lights on…

yourhavingalarf:
Firstly and…

Am i eligible for the 8 hours though? because i was literally there for 15 mins

I thought it was like if you drive on the job for anything less than 8 hours then you’ll still get minimum 8 hours but i didn’t exactly do any work. Just a check.

I’ll gladly ask and take the money but i just want to know the rules and what right i have.

ibby730d:

yourhavingalarf:
Firstly and…

I thought it was like if you drive on the job for anything less than 8 hours then you’ll still get minimum 8 hours but i didn’t exactly do any work. Just a check.

I’ll gladly ask and take the money but i just want to know the rules and what right i have.

You turned up. Not your fault the truck wasn’t drivable.
Contact the agency and tell them .
It happened to me once when I turned up at a company that I’d been working at for weeks and they said they didn’t need me anymore due to truck shortages. Was only there a few minutes but it took me 15 minutes to get there. Called the agency and complained as I turned up and got half a days pay and got sent somewhere else [emoji12]

oldwelshdude:

ibby730d:

yourhavingalarf:
Firstly and…

You turned up. Not your fault the truck wasn’t drivable.
Contact the agency and tell them .
It happened to me once when I turned up at a company that I’d been working at for weeks and they said they didn’t need me anymore due to truck shortages. Was only there a few minutes but it took me 15 minutes to get there. Called the agency and complained as I turned up and got half a days pay and got sent somewhere else [emoji12]

I’ll complain as it took me 50 mins (Sheffield to Leeds)

ibby730d:

■■■■…

Right you’re eligible.

You showed up, end of.

Under no circumstances whatsoever (unless your contract states otherwise) should you be fobbed off with ‘we only pay 4 hours (or a packet of Hob-Nobs or what ever other cobblers they might come up with) for short days’

For me i report it and as its yellow if they say go with it i would be happy with that . You could have done a running defect as it not a safety issue. You didn’t say what truck it was, At worse it may go onto limp mode after a while.

Ask the transport manager to sign and print:

Date
Time
Reg
This vehicle is safe and roadworthy
Sign
Print

99% of the time these yellow warnings simply mean that a sensor has gone bad. Personally, I’d mention it but if I was told to crack on then I would and if the engine blows up then it’s not my problem.

ibby730d:
Ey up

I went for an agency job and when i got in the truck with the transport guy to start it, it came up with an engine malfunction warning. Not just a check engine light but a big yellow warning on the dash computer so i told the guy i cant take this truck as its a big risk and a major mechanical issue. So i came back home as it was the only truck left.

DAF by any chance? “They all do that” along with “Exhaust System Malfunction” usually a minute later. Press button under big knob near your left knee to remove it from your vision, crack on. It’s a dodgy wire issue, we’ve got some units that’ve been doing it for the last half a million km, have been into DAF, nothing found, nothing ever breaks.

As to what I’d have done, note it on daily check sheet, report it and if told to drive it crack on. Was at one spot where it would come up with a red low oil pressure light when going up hill. Got told to keep driving it as they claimed it was a sensor fault so I took a photograph of the oil gauge showing it had plenty of oil in and cracked on.

Cheers guys. I’ll have a different approach next time if i see warning signs.

I went for an assessment at DHL who seem very strict and any little defect made the unit not road worthy so that was at the back of my head as well.

Conor:

ibby730d:
Ey up

DAF by any chance? “They all do that” along with “Exhaust System Malfunction” usually a minute later. Press button under big knob near your left knee to remove it from your vision, crack on. It’s a dodgy wire issue, we’ve got some units that’ve been doing it for the last half a million km, have been into DAF, nothing found, nothing ever breaks.

As to what I’d have done, note it on daily check sheet, report it and if told to drive it crack on. Was at one spot where it would come up with a red low oil pressure light when going up hill. Got told to keep driving it as they claimed it was a sensor fault so I took a photograph of the oil gauge showing it had plenty of oil in and cracked on.

Yea it was a DAF.

Why weren’t they ever recalled if its just DAFs?

Yes and no.

Engine light (yellow) is generally ok to drive; amber/red - no

The transport guy should’ve called whoever is servicing their trucks or whoever they’re leasing them from to check with them.

If it’s a DAF it could’ve been bad adblue or just emissions level sensor error. Sometimes restarting the engine a few times will reset it or driving for a few mins. Personally I would’ve taken it out if boss OK’s it, if it then breaks down - well, not my fault.

If the MIL light is on as well, I think that would be a delayed prohibition. Anyone know for sure?

I had a Scania this morning flash up the same yellow warning on the dash and engine MIL light symbol came on, then again half the trucks in the yard have it. Just hit the < arrow left button on the steering wheel to cancel the huge message on the dash and crack on, and cancel it every time it pops back on

I had a daf used to do it every 6 weeks or so.
Was told it’s a common fault. If it happens park up turn off wait few mins start again. Only worry if it goes red.

If I was on an agency like you I’d mention it to the office put it in defect book. And leave the call to them.
If there happy for you to take it is take it. Amd.if happened to break down think of the money .as I’d want paying untill.am.back at the yard and on way home.

Only.broke down once years ago on m6 was working for a half decent company kinda felt guilty claiming 17 hours work from when started to when was recovrred and finished. despite fact only did about 10… But they weren’t bothered about it