Old Transport Cafes and Digs

When I was tramping I had a little red book that contained a list of locations and facilities for drivers on a night out. There was also a magazine called Headlight that listed numbers for back-loads and cafes.

I remember a large cafe at Penkridge that had a drivers club upstairs with a bar and a floor show, usually strippers, so you had to book early to reserve a place and a bed. Another was the Hollies on the old A5 which was the main link road between the M6 and the M1 before Spaghetti Junction was opened.

Some of the cafes were well known to all the drivers and provided meeting points and places to leave messages. No sleeper cabs then.

If you put old cafes in the search box , there is a long thread on the subject . dave . ps welcome to the asylum

5Tony5:
When I was tramping I had a little red book that contained a list of locations and facilities for drivers on a night out. There was also a magazine called Headlight that listed numbers for back-loads and cafes.

I remember a large cafe at Penkridge that had a drivers club upstairs with a bar and a floor show, usually strippers, so you had to book early to reserve a place and a bed. Another was the Hollies on the old A5 which was the main link road between the M6 and the M1 before Spaghetti Junction was opened.

Some of the cafes were well known to all the drivers and provided meeting points and places to leave messages. No sleeper cabs then.

Aye that would have been the Sunset IIRC, Open 24/7 in those long days, Regards Larry.