Scania P Series - Engine Malfunction

Hi All,
Hopefully this is in the right spot.
I have a 2008 P420 that is throwing up Engine Malfunction but no codes or other errors. It flashes on for about 30 seconds then wont come back for around 10 minutes.
The only mechanic close with a computer for Scania wants $400 to plug it in and tell me the code.
Is there any way i can do it though the dash?
Cheers,
Nick

bowers340:
Hi All,
Hopefully this is in the right spot.
I have a 2008 P420 that is throwing up Engine Malfunction but no codes or other errors. It flashes on for about 30 seconds then wont come back for around 10 minutes.
The only mechanic close with a computer for Scania wants $400 to plug it in and tell me the code.
Is there any way i can do it though the dash?
Cheers,
Nick

hi,above your left knee should be 4 sq buttons together press the bottom 2 together till diagnostics appear on dash use think its top left 1 to scroll to EMS and read the codes, an active fault will have a snowflake nxt to it ,Tilt cab and check EGR actuator spindle on back of o/s engine they break and throw faults…

HI Mate,
Thanks for that, i got 4 error codes.
s21.postimg.org/vk03znu2v/image.jpg
s16.postimg.org/s0244iq1h/image.jpg
s13.postimg.org/3r5m87cfb/image.jpg

1860319:

Any idea what they are?
Cheers,
Nick

I was plagued by this message for ages, air con rad and compressor were knackered and causing issue even with ac off. new ac bits have solved problem

bowers340:
HI Mate,
Thanks for that, i got 4 error codes.
s21.postimg.org/vk03znu2v/image.jpg
s16.postimg.org/s0244iq1h/image.jpg
s13.postimg.org/3r5m87cfb/image.jpg

1860319:

Any idea what they are?
Cheers,
Nick

off top of my head thats engine speed sensor fault,so remove sensors top of bell housing and clean them to start with ,give me the chassis number so i can double check later when i fire laptop up …clear the fault with the 4 buttons, when fault shows again re read the code . Is it sluggish to start, does fault appear while trying to start ■■?

Hi Mate,
Runs spot on, how do i clear the code? Ill clear it and take it for a run and see if it comes back/what one comes back.
Cheers,
Nick

8wheels:
I was plagued by this message for ages, air con rad and compressor were knackered and causing issue even with ac off. new ac bits have solved problem

Do you know what parts you replaced?
The code doesnt bother me as long as everything is working.
Cheers

How come it’s restricted to 100kmh?

bowers340:
Hi Mate,
Runs spot on, how do i clear the code? Ill clear it and take it for a run and see if it comes back/what one comes back.
Cheers,
Nick

press bottom 2 together till diagnostics shows then think its top left quickly should show clear then press bottom right

DAF95XF:
How come it’s restricted to 100kmh?

All trucks over 12 ton GVM in Australia are speed limited to 100km/h
Is there no speed limiters in the UK?

TOECUTTER:

bowers340:
Hi Mate,
Cheers,
Nick

press bottom 2 together till diagnostics shows then think its top left quickly should show clear then press bottom right

Thanks mate ill give it a go

Air con rad was the first thing they changed, it was leaking and covered in gunk in the corner. It seemed more like they assumed it was that because it was glaringly obviously faulty rather than a proper diagnosis, I was unconvinced that would cure the problem and unsurprised after it was changed that they problem hadn’t disappeared. Especially as the light would flick on and off regardless of ac on or off or any other changes. When I sat there at the workshop with it idling and they saw it coming on and off they decided to investigate a bit more thoroughly.

Once they plugged it in and looked properly they diagnosed the compressor faulty, which didn’t surprise me as the rad hadn’t made the ac work much better. I remained sceptical that the compressor would be the cause but I’ve had a couple of weeks since without the light.

Apparently the ac is often the cause of the engine malfunction light.

It’s on an R&M deal so Scania paid for the bits, usually they’ll bodge it and put old crap bits on to keep their costs down but this got fixed in two hits.

HI All,
Bit late posting but thought i would post the answer.

It turned out to be one faulty battery. Nice cheap and easy fix