LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only)

From member GlesgaBill
Hi folks!

Having been a member of the forum for a wee while now and having passed my Cat C in 06, i have learned a lot since then and would like to offer the following advice/tips i have learned in my time so far (i still consider myself as a noob even after 2 years at it, but so far so good…no major happenings thus far)

I know this will probably be read by the more experienced among us-and as such, please feel free to add/critique where you feel appropriate…constructive criticism will be most welcomed.

As mentioned, i would offer the following advice to the noobs as amongst, from my noob self-

*Do NOT try to drive your lorry like your car. It simply will not handle the same!!

*Check that your vehicle is roadworthy every time before you take it out…and report your defects!

*Watch your approach speed at junctions/roundabouts/crossings etc-slow down to a pace that will let you maneuver your vehicle without having to be jumping on the brakes.

*Respect your load-the load will respond to your choice of movement. I mostly drive palletised freight- if you drive erratically, your load may well respond the same. If you drive a smooth drive, your load should arrive as intended.

*Secure your load whenever & wherever possible.-Items come in all shapes and sizes-a well shrink wrapped pallet of bolts one box high will sit better than beer bottles stacked 2 metres high…beware highly stacked items. Also, try not to leave gaps between pallets. If you have a pallet truck etc or a kind soul you can ask with a forklift, ask them to shift a pallet for you so they are together and not liable to fall should harsh braking be needed.

*Mirrors! mirrors! mirrors! mirrors!
Not just there to check if your sunglasses look good…LIVE in them. Always apply mirror,signal, maneuver. Always check your blind spots and always look for cyclists&smaller vehicles especially when turning left. Oh…and stay off the kerbs!

*Reversing-Again, mirrors will be your friend here. EVEN IF SOME-ONE IS GUIDING YOU. Do NOT take it as read that the person reversing you will do so safely. They’re not driving the lorry, YOU are. If necessary, get out and take a quick look at where you want to be. It’s not a race to reverse your lorry-put emphasis on doing it SAFELY without cost to persons/life, property or your lorry. If it takes a few extra minutes, then so be it.

*Safe loading of your lorry-The weight you are carrying should be distributed in a manner that ensures that neither axle(s) or indeed the whole vehicle are overloaded. ie if you’re driving a 17 tonner, don’t have 6 tonne of marble at the headboard! If in doubt, ask-even on here, people will give you advice on how to tell if you are running safely or not. Remember-YOU are responsible for the load you take on the road…not the forklift guy in the depot who might have loaded it like a pound of mince-correct your load if required.

*Do your homework-Make it your business to know the legislation that will affect you as an HGV driver. Namely, “Driver’s Hours Legislation,” & " The Working Time Directive"-You should familiarize yourself with at least these two pieces of legislation as they will affect your everyday activity as a driver. Others may well follow(ADR etc) but as a noob, you should at least learn what matters regarding breaks etc. Don’t just rely on asking a fellow driver, or even people in your Transport Office (they have been known to [zb] people like us)-Check the legislation as provided by the regulatory bodies, and check for updates! There are several links on here to MOST(if not all) of the legislation that could apply to you if you are a trucker.

*Do something “better” each day-Try to make your day run as smooth as possible, improve where you can in any areas of your driving where you feel it may be needed. Try and drive a smoother/better drive than you did yesterday.

*Use this forum regularly. You will learn a lot of valuable information on the forums on here through other noobs experiences, and from very experienced qualified drivers. There are good folks on here who are qualified to inform you in depth of many of the aspects of trucking-off the top of my head, Coffeholic, Diesel Dave & Rog…they’ve never failed me so far! :wink:

Lastly,
Enjoy the freedom of the open road! (safely) :wink:
==================================================================================
From member burntoutbanger
As a noob myself, (passed in March, been doing multi-drop in 11-13 tonners in rural areas since), I’d just like to say one of the biggest differences I’ve found between car and lorry driving is height.

As noobs we all probably take a bit of time coming to terms with the width and length of lorries but at every corner, junction and roundabout we gain a bit more experience and get better doing it.

If you’re doing a lot of small town/country lane driving it’s essential you pay attention to your vehicle’s height. There are a lot of branches and street furniture out there not to mention overhanging roofs and second floor bay windows. These hazards tend not to have a warning plate with their height on attached. :open_mouth:
==================================================================================
From member Secretelephant
Too true about bridges. It’s so easy to drive into a low one.

Having been doing class 2 work for nearly a year now, I’d like to add this:

Dont worry too much if you cant complete your delivery schedule.

The amount of time I’ve been given a ridiculously over ambitious run. When you don’t complete it as a noob you think it’s you fault & sometimes gaffers & / or controllers will blame you for missing a drop & bringing back some of your freight.

With a bit of experience under your belt though & after talking to other drivers you soon learn that it aint you.
Trucks are very slow compared to cars especially off a motorway when you are often restricted to 40mph. When you add in things like A*holes who take forever to load / tip you, traffic jams. & getting lost, your “Easy” trip can soon turn turn into a 15 hour ball breaker.
The last thing you want to do as an inexperienced driver is try & drive quickly. Especially in a truck.

I made this mistake as a rookie bus driver when i was running late , & ended up knocking over two road signs. :blush:
No harm done. but it could have been a lot worse. :imp:

RETURN TO INDEX