If you are thinking about booking training

Yes, like you said, the potential truck driver should have road sense. If only! How often do we have to re-teach the absolute basics of roadcraft. And, of course, it’s not always been the case. Prior to the licence changes implemented in 1997, I regularly taught candidates without a car licence. It was known as “double L” as they got both licences at once. And that was straight to Class 1. I had over 20 years experience of that before 1997. There is training available towards the DSA LGV registration tests. The structure of the registration follows that for an ADI until, as you point out, you reach part 3. I fully understand that check tests on LGV instructors don’t happen. The DSA tell us this is due to the majority of trucks only having 2 seats. I’ve argued that the check test should be in place where possible and that role play should be used as a last resort - - - exactly the same as for a car instructor where there is no trainee available.Just look at the horror stories coming up on this site and it’s clear that the standards of instruction vary widely. I have knowlege of trainers working every day who have failed the DSA LGV instructor tests - more than once. But these characterswill cheerfully relieve new drivers of their cash. Not sure that’s quite right. I believe any trainer who is proud of their profession would be happy to take the tests and be perfectly capable of passing. In an industry continually beligned by the unenlightened and critisised by those who haven’t got a clue, it’s time for the training side to get it’s act together and act professionally. And that means qualified. At least the authorities could then remove the poor performers from the industry and trainees would have some sort of quality assurance.