Trucks, tracks, tall tales and true from all over the world

As it’s got a blade on it Ian, I am sure that it’s a grader.

I remember having to wait 19 hours for a grader to ■■■■■■ me out of a river many years ago. It was one of the most uncomfortable nights of my life.

With the help of Google Earth, it looks like the road is all tarmacked now and they have built a bridge across The Fish River.

earth.google.com/web/search/Ber … DSf0n1XbS_

It’s about time that we had another driver anecdote from the U.K. so I think that it’s time to reshow this uncomfortable night from Dave Penn. :slight_smile:

I spent a couple of nights over the years on ‘The Ramp’ and I remember walking around to Dirty Dicks Pub with a bunch of drivers. It looks like they have cleaned the place up a bit, now they have the dead cats in glass display cases.

dirtydicks.co.uk/

Re: Buried at sea
Postby davepenn54 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:56 am

Didn’t get ‘Buried at Sea’ but something similar happened back in the day when I drove a Foden S80 for a small haulage co; in North Manchester.
The company ran two artics (Foden S80’s) and 10 rigids at the time so naturally me and my mate Colin used to run together a lot and we always used to park up at Bishopsgate (The Ramp) when coming through London, which was most of the time, this one night we had both run up from Dover and had been able to park alongside the old station platform which made getting out/in of the cab much easier, especially getting in after a night on the lash up Bethnal Green Rd; This particular night out Colin had left the party :question: :wink: early and I had gone on with some other lads for more refreshment and to sample the delights of the local kebab house. About 1.30am when we all made our way back to our day cabs to get our heads down I was feeling very smug because I was parked alongside the platform and just had to open the cab door and crawl onto my already made up bed.
So I opened the door, whilst saying my goodnights to my new alcohol related friends :unamused: :unamused:, I climbed onto my foam bed and OMG there was a body already in my sleeping bag :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: I went flying backwards, luckily just onto the platform, with a scream of something like WTF :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: Had I got in the wrong motor? :question: If not had some parafin lamp decided to squat in my ■■■■■ curtained day cab for the night? NO my mate Colin, who had left the party early, had thought it would be a laugh to get in the motor and jump out when I came back :laughing: :laughing: Trouble was I was out for another 3hrs and he had made himself comfy and crashed out completely :unamused: It actually took about 20mins to convince him he was in my motor and his motor was parked right behind :astonished: :astonished: :wink:
Oh well it was funny at the time :blush: :blush: :laughing: :wink:
Regards
Dave Penn;
RIP Michelle Marie Kerry 26/02/1978 - 03/02/2012