Trucks, tracks, tall tales and true from all over the world

That is a great tale S.D.U. thanks for taking the time to write it all down and for sharing it with us.

Your post suddenly brought back to my mind something from over forty years ago, while I was watching a television series back in the U.K. I used to really enjoy a programme called ‘Wickers World’ with Alan Wicker, does anybody remember him.
On one of his journeys to Australia, he visited a brothel in Perth, Western Australia, of course it was only for journalistic purposes. The name of the brothel which for some reason I shall never forget, was called “The Tool Box”. One of the reasons being that you could use your credit card and it would come up on your bank statement as, tools.

I wonder if you were able to claim the tax back at the end of the financial year. Maybe we should ask Dig if he knows anything about it.

Spardo, in reply to your question, yes I had heard the expression ‘Road Train’ in the U.K. long before the Leyland Roadtrain went into production. I have a feeling that there may have been other descriptions of a wagon and trailer over the years, wagon and drags or as a friend of mine from Wiltshire used to refer to them as, a wagon and dangler.
As I know that you are interested in canines, I thought that I would mention that in the sixties and seventies, the British military stationed in West Germany used to refer to them as Dog and Pups. I seem to remember that there were more dog and pups going along the Autobahns than there were articulated vehicles back then.

And I might add, when I first arrived in South West Africa in 1975, I turned up at a transport company looking for a driver’s job and was asked if I could drive a Horse and Semi, a question that completely threw me. There were no jobs going there at the time but one of the drivers told me to try South African Railways. Their drivers used to travel 100’s of kilometres collecting cattle from the farms and delivering them to the nearest railhead.
I phoned up the railways employment office straight away and they asked me to come for an interview the following day. When I sat down with the personnel officer, he told me that there had been a mistake and they were only recruiting train drivers. So that was the nearest I ever got to transporting livestock.

Anyway David, I thought that you might find this interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=3L7s0JP9y7k

And I think that you might have seen this one before but it’s worth watching again.

youtube.com/watch?v=iVnF_zlZtxk