Age old question

YoungJnr:
Yeah never looked at it this way so my understanding is that there are no class 1 jobs that chuck the keys at you and your on your way do they all require an assessment for new passes with my class 2 they through me into the deep end in a class two with a massive over hang

You will probably find that most depots will only take on new passes if they are short of drivers, ie. when there aren’t enough experienced drivers applying for the jobs…and that doesn’t happen very often.

Class 1 are regularly assessed, perhaps every year. And they never give you the keys before you’ve passed an assessment. Certainly with the big players.

Unless you’ve got previous experience of shunting, most new passes can’t reverse so when the assessor tells you to blind side the trailer between two closely parked trailers you will fail the assessment.

June and July is probably the best time of year to get a job as a new pass, as that’s when the regular drivers take their summer holidays so many depots then become short of drivers. However, unlike just after Covid, there’s no longer a shortage of drivers.

When you do get your big break, it will probably be at a depot that is not popular with experienced drivers, due to reasons such as the work being difficult and the pointy shoe brigade in the transport office running the drivers ragged, ie. exhausting 15 hour days.