Ferry Mode

Old John:

tachograph:

Old John:

tachograph:
To legally have a daily rest period on a ferry or train you must have access to a bunk or couchette.

Article 9 - Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council

Article 9 Regulation 561/2006

Ok, but my tachograph doesn’t know what arrangements were available on the ship, so why has it spat the dummy. That’s really all I want to know. TIA.

Sorry I never read the whole thread before posting :blush:

As far as your tachograph display showing the accumulated driving time for the 2 shifts is concerned, you don’t appear to have entered the end location when you parked up after getting off the ferry or the start location of the next shift, I’m not sure if 24 hour printouts show the start and end of shift locations, so did you enter the end and start of shift location when you parked up after getting off the ferry ?

I’m not sure about this but if you never entered the locations for the end and start of the shifts that could be why the tachograph has ignored the daily rest period.

eddit: I don’t know how old your tachograph is but as far as I can remember older tachographs never calculated for ferry movements, they just marked the card/printout with the ferry symbol and left you to do the calculations to keep legal.

Thanks for this. It was a domestic ferry journey from the Outer Hebrides, so I didn’t think it was necessary to indicate locations. Lorry is 2013, so maybe it does leave it to the driver to do his own calculations. Fortunately, the combined driving time for today and yesterday was just under 9 hrs, so that’s one less issue. I’m not bothered about the apparent infringement, (or whatever it’s called this week) but I’m curious to understand why it happened.

Strictly you should enter country of start and finish for every shift, irrelevant of whether or not you cross borders. It may be very rare to get a bust for it, but it does happen.

Ignoring whether or not you actually have a bunk or not, (you are aware of the requirement, and so Im sure you would get a cabin :smiley: ) I cant see any issue with your timings.