Ferry Mode

Started work yesterday around 10.30am, having had 12 hrs rest, but as I was over 13 in the prev 24, it was still a reduced rest. (Not sure if that’s significant in the following)
Yesterday, drove about 1hr 45min, other work for 2 hrs, drove couple of minutes, then break for just under 2 hrs. Drove 20 min, work 1hr20, drove another 1hr 30 min, then started daily rest 18.15.
Used ferry mode at 21.45 for 2 min, then 2hr45 rest on ferry, then ferry mode, (drive 18 min to get parked). Finished at 01.32.
Started again this morning at 09.15, and later noticed that my tacho is showing ■■■■■■■■■■ driving from beginning of my shift yesterday. Print outs are showing ferry mode being used on both occasions.
What did I do wrong?

2 minutes to get onto a ferry! Lucky

If you can post a copy of your print out (blanking your name and reg) maybe we can see any error.

Just to check, on the day you shipped:
Start 10hr30.
End 18hr15.
At 18hr15 stop and select bed
21hr45 select ferry and move for 2 minutes
21hr47 stop and select bed
00hr30 (approx) select ferry and move off boat
00hr50 stop and select bed.
09hr15 book on and enter duty.

If that`s it, seems OK to me.

Re-reading it… I think something doesn`t add-up.

Might be nothing, but you know that you are allowed one or two ferry moves totaling one hour interruption to your rest.
Not two moves with up to one hour driving. ?

Franglais:
2 minutes to get onto a ferry! Lucky

If you can post a copy of your print out (blanking your name and reg) maybe we can see any error.

Just to check, on the day you shipped:
Start 10hr30.
End 18hr15.
At 18hr15 stop and select bed
21hr45 select ferry and move for 2 minutes
21hr47 stop and select bed
00hr30 (approx) select ferry and move off boat
00hr50 stop and select bed.
09hr15 book on and enter duty.

If that`s it, seems OK to me.

Ok, so the times I posted were slightly random, but I hope I can manage to post pictures of the printouts now. I still can’t see what’s wrong, but then, I am very old.

Here’s the other one, I hope.

Old John:
0Here’s the other one, I hope.

That 2nd printout shows 5hr06min driving for that day, which seems correct?

Is it just the dash display that is showing…8hrs summat?

You can’t use ferry mode on such a short crossing. I can’t remember the exact minimum length of crossing but 6 hours rings a bell.

Franglais:

Old John:
0Here’s the other one, I hope.

That 2nd printout shows 5hr06min driving for that day, which seems correct?

Is it just the dash display that is showing…8hrs summat?

Yes, but when I put the card in a digifob, it says I’ve only had 7hrs 37min rest in the 24.

barrykam:
You can’t use ferry mode on such a short crossing. I can’t remember the exact minimum length of crossing but 6 hours rings a bell.

Ok, I’ve not seen that quoted anywhere though. That would surely disqualify some of the channel crossings?

Old John:

barrykam:

Ok, I’ve not seen that quoted anywhere though. That would surely disqualify some of the channel crossings?

It clearly states that you must have access to a bunk or couchette. You don’t get a bunk or couchette on any of the channel crossings so you cannot use ferry mode on any of the channel crossings.
I take a ferry (I’m on one as I type this) at least twice a week. You crossing was not long enough for your Tacho to accept it as a ferry crossing.

barrykam:

Old John:

barrykam:

It clearly states that you must have access to a bunk or couchette. You don’t get a bunk or couchette on any of the channel crossings so you cannot use ferry mode on any of the channel crossings.
I take a ferry (I’m on one as I type this) at least twice a week. You crossing was not long enough for your Tacho to accept it as a ferry crossing.

I had to delve Into my Croners to check that.
You are partially correct in what you say, but you are getting mixed up with weekly rest. If you intend to split a weekly rest with a ferry crossing or train journey, you must be on the ferry or train for at least 8 hrs, and you must have access to a cabin with a bunk.
For daily rest interruptions, a reclining seat is considered to be sufficient.

Old John:

barrykam:

Old John:

barrykam:

You are partially correct in what you say, but you are getting mixed up with weekly rest. If you intend to split a weekly rest with a ferry crossing or train journey, you must be on the ferry or train for at least 8 hrs, and you must have access to a cabin with a bunk.

You are incorrect as you cannot interrupt a weekly rest with a ferry or train journey full stop.
If you are now looking up the answer yourself then why post the initial question here?
I stand by what I said in that your ferry crossing was not long enough for your Tacho to recognise it as a ferry journey that is long enough to warrant interrupting your daily test period.

Old John:

barrykam:

Old John:

barrykam:

To legally have a daily rest period on a ferry or train you must have access to a bunk or couchette.

Article 9 - Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council

Article 9 Regulation 561/2006

You must have access to a couchette or bunk. A couchette isnt a bunk in private cabin, but it is more than a reclining seat.

Short crossings dont have bunks as standard, but, If they are there, why wouldnt that count?
I cant remember seeing any rule about a minimum crossing length for daily rest interruptions. "A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven onto a ferry or train and off again at the end of the crossing including customs formalities." It goes on to explain about a split daily rest counting as a regular daily rest, and mentions 3 hrs there, but I dont see that as relevant here.

Barry is spot on about 8hrs min for interrupting weekly rest.
“EU weekly rest periods may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total but when interrupting a regular weekly rest period, the ferry or train leg must be at least 8 hours duration”

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

Franglais:
You must have access to a couchette or bunk. A couchette isnt a bunk in private cabin, but it is more than a reclining seat.

Short crossings dont have bunks as standard, but, If they are there, why wouldnt that count?
I cant remember seeing any rule about a minimum crossing length for daily rest interruptions. "A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven onto a ferry or train and off again at the end of the crossing including customs formalities." It goes on to explain about a split daily rest counting as a regular daily rest, and mentions 3 hrs there, but I dont see that as relevant here.

“EU weekly rest periods may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total but when interrupting a regular weekly rest period, the ferry or train leg must be at least 8 hours duration”

tachograph:
To legally have a daily rest period on a ferry or train you must have access to a bunk or couchette.

Article 9 - Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council

Ok, but my tachograph doesn’t know what arrangements were available on the ship, so why has it spat the dummy. That’s really all I want to know. TIA.

Old John:

Franglais:

Actually, it was Barry who said that under no circumstances can you split a weekly rest with a ferry mode interruption.

Old John:

Old John:

Franglais:

Actually, it was Barry who said that under no circumstances can you split a weekly rest with a ferry mode interruption.

Apologies…indeed you coorectly mentioned the 8hrs applicable to weekly rest. My error.

Maybe after using ferry mode you need to take an uninterrupted break of 9/ 11 hours when your stopped.?
In your case after using ferry mode you had 7 hrs 37 rest.

Old John:

tachograph:

Ok, but my tachograph doesn’t know what arrangements were available on the ship, so why has it spat the dummy. That’s really all I want to know. TIA.

Sorry I never read the whole thread before posting :blush:

As far as your tachograph display showing the accumulated driving time for the 2 shifts is concerned, you don’t appear to have entered the end location when you parked up after getting off the ferry or the start location of the next shift, I’m not sure if 24 hour printouts show the start and end of shift locations, so did you enter the end and start of shift location when you parked up after getting off the ferry ?

I’m not sure about this but if you never entered the locations for the end and start of the shifts that could be why the tachograph has ignored the daily rest period.

eddit: I don’t know how old your tachograph is but as far as I can remember older tachographs never calculated for ferry movements, they just marked the card/printout with the ferry symbol and left you to do the calculations to keep legal.