Day rate 'After tax'?

beefy4605:
In any wage negotations I’ve ever had I always make it clear that I’m talking in a "after tax " senario ie "i want £180 a day after tax and national insurance . From that £180 the only thing left to deduct is my pension . It keeps them from giving you what looks like a good rate but then you lose out when your tax and \national Insurance is deducted . Its up to them to sort out your tax and N.I (and possibly pension )

Hope you’re not married and with a married persons tax code because if you are they’d be paying you £1000 less gross per year than someone on the standard 1270L code. And if someone had gone to university and had a student loan to pay then if they’re getting the same net day rate as you they’re getting paid at least 9% more gross pay. And if you hadn’t worked at all since the beginning of the tax year and joined the company in November time other employees would be on 20% more gross pay than you. And when it came to getting a mortgage or a loan they’d stand a better chance than you because the gross figure on their P60 would be more than yours.

Oh and here’s more food for thought. If you’re getting paid a day rate like you want when a tax cut comes into effect like was announced on Friday you won’t benefit a penny, only your employer will. So whereas someone on £30k gross getting paid the normal way would be £400 a year better off in your case only your employer will because they’ll give you the same net £180 pay you wanted and pocket the tax/NI reduction.