Prostate problems

dozy:

lancpudn:
Only just seen this thread, I started to have problems peeing in July this year, Went to see the doctor for a prostate exam & he said it feels abnormal & hard so sent me for a biopsy at Bolton in August, 24 of the 24 biopsies were cancerous :cry: I had CT scans, MRI scans & Bone scans at Bolton hospital & they showed the cancer was localized just in my prostate & hadn’t spread to anywhere else.

I started on bicalutamide tablets & now injections every three months of Prostap androgen hormone treatment for the next two years, I’ve got a flow test to do in October & keep a record of my toilet visits day & night then I start 20 straight days of external beam radio therapy at Christies Oldham & Salford starting November 16th.
My prostate adenocarcinoma Gleason score was 9 out of 10 (almost the worst possible score) & my PSA score was 6.3. The joys of getting old eh!.

I can only wish you the best , I recognise a lot of what you say but not all , not had bone scans (mri/ the biopsy ) was as far as I went , now psa every 6 months / mri 2 yrs ( does change a bit with who you speak to though ) , just had psa & consultation with my urology nurse beginning of Oct , fingers crossed for both of us , and any one else with it

Hi Dozy, Yes all the best for your treatment too, They did a bone scan to see if the cancer had gone into my bones but it hadn’t. I’ve got a thorax scan appointment in October too, Not sure what that’s for!! Over the course of one month I noticed a big difference in my peeing habits & had the finger of fate rectal examination done by my GP within weeks, There’s no family history of prostate trouble in our family so it came as a shock to be told prostate cancer, I was thinking it was an enlarged prostate at most.

The consultant at Christie’s said he recommends the two year hormone injections which replaces your testosterone which then shrinks the prostate & 20 straight work day sessions of external beam radio treatment which has the same success rate as surgery plus he said I’d more than likely be permanently incontinent if they went the surgery route.
I’ve got a flow test at the urology dept at Bolton in a couple of weeks time whereas you pee into a special toilet that records the strength of the pee stream plus a bladder scan.