Say goodbye to your jobs-self driving trucks in UK 2023

express.co.uk/life-style/ca … ant-shapps

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the first self-driving cars, coaches and lorries could be deployed on UK motorways in 2023, and praised the “fantastic technology”.

It is expected that this would be followed by the rollout of “fully fledged” self-driving vehicles on motorways and some A-roads in 2025.

Earlier this year, the Law Commission published a report which argued that the person in the driving seat of a self-driving car should not be held accountable if it crashes.
It recommended reforms that would see driverless car users exempt from prosecution if anything goes wrong with the automation.

The part I highlighted reads like something straight out of the Onion news

So glad they are letting somebody sit in the driving seat. I was wondering what was going to do everything else the driver does, especially truck drivers. :smiley:

It’s that word “could” again, so beloved of the Express and Mail.

I’ll believe it when I see it,.especially when it comes from the gob of Grant ■■■■ Schapps. :unamused:

Utter nonsense, self driving vehicles have been just around the corner for the last 100 years.

ETS:
Driving law changes: Self-driving cars could be on UK roads next year, Grant Shapps says | Express.co.uk

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the first self-driving cars, coaches and lorries could be deployed on UK motorways in 2023, and praised the “fantastic technology”.

It is expected that this would be followed by the rollout of “fully fledged” self-driving vehicles on motorways and some A-roads in 2025.

Earlier this year, the Law Commission published a report which argued that the person in the driving seat of a self-driving car should not be held accountable if it crashes.
It recommended reforms that would see driverless car users exempt from prosecution if anything goes wrong with the automation.

The part I highlighted reads like something straight out of the Onion news

Wonder what the insurance companies have to say about it !!

Tyneside

robroy:
I’ll believe it when I see it,.especially when it comes from the gob of Grant [zb] Schapps. :unamused:

Ironically I’d believe it precisely because it comes from the gob of the miserable Commy Tory control freak.Might as well vote Labour or LibDem for all the difference it makes.
They really don’t like the idea of anyone actually enjoying driving let alone being paid for it.

Personally I cant wait. It will still need a “driver” to take control when things go wrong and whilst things are going right I shall be reclined in my seat reading a book drinking a coffee and eating a foot long sub.
It will be a loooooong time before we are out of a job!

The link says vehicles on m-ways in 2025, and in 2023?
Anyway, here are some the .gov.uk links

gov.uk/government/news/self … oad-safety

gov.uk/government/publicati … g-vehicles

If we get to be at the forefront of new technology it can only be a good thing.
All will have to be compliant with laws in any country the new technology is allowed into of course.

Being members of a huge trading block will enable the UK Gov to influence international regulation to influence things in favour of our own manufacturers of course. Good job that ooo-eerrr…

Fully autonomous and full self driving isn’t anywhere near close to happening. They’ve only just managed to make it work to a limited extent in the USA in limited circumstances in Nevada on roads that are long and straight with low levels of traffic and where the weather is good most of the time. And even then they’re still needing to have a driver to be able to take over just in case.

It’s going to be quite a long time before there’s no need for a driver to take over when the self driving craps itself because it doesn’t know what to do and gets the human to take control.

Franglais:
Being members of a huge trading block will enable the UK Gov to influence international regulation to influence things in favour of our own manufacturers of course. Good job that ooo-eerrr…

My god…don’t you go on about Brexit…give it a rest man

My last car had automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control etc etc. the auto braking would cut in randomly if the wind blew some leaves across the road and adaptive cruise control would cr@p itself and switch off every time there was anything more than a light drizzle. While I agree the technology improves every year and one day there will be autonomous cars/trucks etc. I don’t expect us all to be out of a job in just 28 months (that’s how long it is till 2025). And even if they do have some huge leap forward with the technology I can’t see many companies shelling out god only knows how much to buy the new trucks. A lot of companies begrudge paying for a fridge in the cab. Some of them won’t even pay for a new tyre if it’s got 1.1mm of tread on it. Do we really think they will pay £100’s of thousands on unproven technology. And can you imagine what the insurance company is going to say? I would be very surprised if the insurance companies are going to be happy accepting liability for a motor with no driver. And then what happens when some smart arse teenager with a laptop hacks the trucks from his bedroom cause the companies didn’t pay for the latest software update. I think our jobs are safe for a good few years yet.

Franglais:
The link says vehicles on m-ways in 2025, and in 2023?
Anyway, here are some the .gov.uk links

gov.uk/government/news/self … oad-safety

gov.uk/government/publicati … g-vehicles

If we get to be at the forefront of new technology it can only be a good thing.
All will have to be compliant with laws in any country the new technology is allowed into of course.

It’s technology that is intended to replace a human driver
Great if you hate driving and want to be put to work as a warehouse labourer for Amazon etc or serving at the local McDonalds and your idea of a holiday is the fixed view sideways out of a train window.The utopian dream.Glad I’m old enough not to care about the job but wish I was 10 or 20 years older regarding the implications for cars.

Trains will be the first to go fully auto, can’t imagine cars let alone trucks being fully auto because of things like humans or animals around cities or zebra crossings etc.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

There’ll always be a bod sat in the wagon whilst its operating on public roads, someone will have to be held to account when error 404 crops up and carnage results.

Our hero behind the wheel can occupy him/her/itself whilst the electronics take care of driving, when error 404 occurs our designated responsible person who hasn’t the foggiest bloody idea what’s happening will make the right decision in an instant and save the day.
Anyone see what’s wrong with this picture.

Where’s our mate that went off to New Zealand or somewhere, apparently very involved with automation and testing with fully automated completely driverless trucks months away about 4 years ago :unamused:

Grant Shapps also wants number plates for bicycles (and possibly insurance). There is what people want, and what they get, and they’re very rarely, if ever, the same thing.
Did they ever do that trial for self driving trucks on the M180 ? (if that’s where it was)

I doubt any driver will be out of a job as the number of lorries, journeys and drivers wouldn’t be affected - what will instead happen is the rate for those tedious Motorway sections of your journey will be paid at a lower rate as you won’t actually be doing anything other than remaining alert/available to take over if needed.

The UK Government has gone into automatic and done away with its drivers for the last few months.

Has anything gone wrong - or at least more wrong than before ■■ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Juddian:
There’ll always be a bod sat in the wagon whilst its operating on public roads, someone will have to be held to account when error 404 crops up and carnage results.

Our hero behind the wheel can occupy him/her/itself whilst the electronics take care of driving, when error 404 occurs our designated responsible person who hasn’t the foggiest bloody idea what’s happening will make the right decision in an instant and save the day:

Won’t bother me in the slightest! I’ll be whacking off to X hamster on my I pad as I hit the bridge parapet at 56mph. My gravestone will read “ he died doing what he loved”.

Juddian:

Read the bolded part in op. Apparently the UK’s idea for a ‘‘leading breakthrough legislation’’ regarding self driving is to simply absolve everyone involved from any responsibility about anything

Roymondo:
I doubt any driver will be out of a job as the number of lorries, journeys and drivers wouldn’t be affected - what will instead happen is the rate for those tedious Motorway sections of your journey will be paid at a lower rate as you won’t actually be doing anything other than remaining alert/available to take over if needed.

If I won’t be held responsible for a crash due to automaton error then why bother staying alert just go to sleep and hope the crash won’t be too hard