Car drivers to be allowed to drive lorry without test to hel

Notme:

Sidevalve:

Notme:
I have always wanted to drive trucks, I had a provisional licence and passed a medical 30 yrs ago, could not afford to pay for lessons, so did not bother and stayed at my trade. Now I have retired, and, the training was free, I thought, why not, then just do it part time, or, if push comes to shove, full time until I get the experience and knowledge, then I will be able to pick and choose so keeping occupied. I did not expect to be let loose on a £100,000 set up, but all the jobs I have researched, and, there is a lot of them, all say, min 6 months experience. So, I am now a 16 year old school leaver.

And therein lies your problem. You say you’re retired, so I’m guessing you’re the wrong side of sixty; yet you have the experience in the industry of a 21 year old who would offer a lot more years of service. You’ve also hit a relatively quiet period in the driving calendar, when there is usually less demand for agency staff; yes I know the function of same is to cover holiday absence, but that seems to have been cancelled out by drops in demand and production in industry. Therefore experienced men are being used to keep them busy and stop them defecting to other agencies, and you’re at the bottom of the pecking order.

You need to either start knocking on doors, or sign up with as many agencies as you can and hope for the best.

Right maybe about the age, but the companies don’t know my age, why you may ask ? That is because I have not applied for jobs, reason, they all say ’ Minimum 6 months experience ’ . If I applied for them, they would then know my age, but that would not be a factor, as i do not have the required experience.

Go down the well trodden agency route. Explain to the agency what your situation is. Ask them if you could go out initially on double man work just to get a feel for the job. You obviously have life experience if not commercial driving experience.