A weaklings struggle with the red airline

Franglais:

cav551:

Sabretooth:
Sorry, I don’t quite understand, Why are you getting pressure when you connect the Suzzie? Yes there is always a little back pressure but if you pump the brake a couple of times prior to disconnect the pressure is released.
All the trailers I ever used had a handle at the base of the connectors in order to close the air lines. cutting off the air for disconnecting and reconnecting. Trailer braking systems have a one way valve system so the air is only coming from the unit air tank !! And once the handle is turned the air is closed off, so there should be no pressure building up or stored in the lines.
Plus allowing the air to flow while attempting to connect or disconnect is dangerous ? :open_mouth: :cry:

Taps on airline suzies are banned by the UK Construction and Use Regulations. We don’t use palm couplings either. We use C couplings with non return valves and operating sleeves, either as an integral unit or assembled from the constituent components as shown.

hgvdirect.co.uk/trailer-parts/t … lings.html

Quite right Cav551.
Some of us remember the taps on air lines but as you say they were done away with decades ago.

When did SabreTooth last drive an artic? The same time as CarryFast?

Taps were banned long before I went out of the job.
Palm couplings are the solution they also contain the valve still no need for taps but no need to struggle like silly C couplings.
Ironically we had Palm couplings on all our vehicles for a while and were even more advantageous on drawbars no need to struggle at ground level and immune from road dirt and salt.Then they reverted to bleedin C couplings.