Motor car drivers to be allowed to drive trucks

cooper1203:

Franglais:
True, there seems no plans at the moment to drop anything else, just the licence requirement.
But if 7.5t vehicles become more popular, then wont the operators start saying "they arent real trucks, you dont need a special licence, so why an O-licence?" or "I can hire one of these on my car licence, I can have tons of my gear in it,why shoudnt I carry someone else`s?"
Why let someone drive one without a special licence, to keep costs down, but still expect them to pay for DCPC costs?

Sorry i disagree. I looked into getting myself a beaver tail transporter over 3.5 tonnes was told i didnt need an o licence or cpc unless i was carrying out paid work. I was getting it for the sole purpose of transporting my own classic cars so no paid work so no cpc or o licence. As far as i know there isnt a single operator that does paid work that has said that isnt fair and tried to run a fleet of transporters without the appropriate bits of paper

There may not be a single LEGITIMATE operator. I don’t think DVSA would agree with your comments though.