Tacho info for part time work

Morning,
I’ve just passed my class 1 and currently working the odd shift with a local agency. My full time job is in the Steel industry weekdays with rotas. My shifts are 12hrs days and nights. My question is what do I log on my tacho entry to explain what I’ve done since my last driving shift? Do I log rest or other work (steelworks). Very confusing on what to log. I’ve only done x3 agency shifts since my pass and I’ve logged it as a rest due to not driving. Please help. Thanks, eg of my patter below…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

You need to read this thread
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=172462

It looks like you need to record all your work as “other work” and all the time not working as “rest”.

It’s enough to not be worth the occasional driving shift…almost.

stu675:
You need to read this thread
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=172462

It looks like you need to record all your work as “other work” and all the time not working as “rest”.

It’s enough to not be worth the occasional driving shift…almost.

Thanks Stu… Jesus Christ, how can they bring in legislation without consulting/advising the industry. I’ve got printed tacho records from the shifts I’ve completed but reading this it’s not enough [emoji2962][emoji2962][emoji2962][emoji2962] So basically I’ll ensure I’m not working over the 60hrs weekly working time directive. Still unsure what to log if I’ve a week where I’ve worked for example a Mon/Tues morning shift at the steelworks then Wed Rota(rest) if I then work a driving shift on the Thursday do I log rest or other work?? [emoji2962]

I honestly don’t know how the WTD works. On here, people are adamant that you don’t add the 2 different industries WTD requirements together, because they are separate legislation (WTD(Road Transport) and WTD)
But when you start recording another job as other work on your tacho, I presume you will need to keep below 48 hrs average■■?

Non driving job is under normal WTD
Driving job is under drivers WTD
The two do not get added together

The only concern you need to deal with is the rest rules especially the weekly rest rules
The rest rules only kick in when you do a driving job in the fixed week (sunday midnight to sunday midnight)

Appreciate your help, wonder if there is someone at VOSA who could advise the correct rules/regulations, I’ll have a look tomorrow, thanks again gents [emoji106][emoji106]

ROG:
Non driving job is under normal WTD
Driving job is under drivers WTD
The two do not get added together

The only concern you need to deal with is the rest rules especially the weekly rest rules
The rest rules only kick in when you do a driving job in the fixed week (sunday midnight to sunday midnight)

Just found this on the government website…

Recording other work

Drivers must record as ‘other work’, all time spent undertaking activities described as ‘other work’ below and record as ‘availability’ all time spent undertaking activities described as ‘availability’ below.

Any work-related activity can impact on a driver’s fatigue levels so drivers are legally required, whether employed part-time or full-time, keep a full record of all work-related activity, whether that work is transport related or not. For example, a part time driver who has a second job working in a bar, must record the bar work as other work regardless of when that work takes place.

leeroy50:
Appreciate your help, wonder if there is someone at VOSA who could advise the correct rules/regulations, I’ll have a look tomorrow, thanks again gents [emoji106][emoji106]

DVSA now not VOSA and good luck getting a human to talk to

A diary of your non driving work with start and finish times will suffice as a record of other work for the regs

ROG:

leeroy50:

DVSA now not VOSA and good luck getting a human to talk to

A diary of your non driving work with start and finish times will suffice as a record of other work for the regs

Thanks Rog, you spend more time fretting over these ■■■■■■■ tacho rules than anything else. It definitely needs looking at in more depth during the initial training [emoji848][emoji848]

Hi Rog, any tips on what to use when checking my brake lights during my initial daily walkround checks when alone, struggling this morning, used my phone to record the back of the lorry, must be an easier trick?? [emoji23]

leeroy50:
Hi Rog, any tips on what to use when checking my brake lights during my initial daily walkround checks when alone, struggling this morning, used my phone to record the back of the lorry, must be an easier trick?? [emoji23]

Daf’s and Mercedes (every truck I’ve driven) have a button on the keyfob that cycles through all the lights. Are you sure you don’t have that?
Park up with a reflective surface behind you or at night you can see the reflection on the ground.

Thanks Stu, the truck that I had didn’t have the cycle function (5yr old Actros) [emoji106]