Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Thanks MD, Martin has become clear now, he was the " Number one" driver according to him, although that is probably because he had been there the longest, and therefore seemed to get all the cream jobs, but never tanks. That was left to Dennis and another young gun with the odd owner operator helping out. Didn’t know that about David’s mother, he certainly didn’t brag about it. And the Frog and Frigate! yes I remember it, didn’t they make their own beer ?
Jimmy Squibb (RIP) also had another son (Jean / Gene ?) who lived in Norway working for a company building oil rigs. And I thought Barry’s Hotel was in Torquay Devon not Cornwall. No matter which ever, its still a nice part of the west country although work wise I should imagine a hotel was a 24 hour hard business. Not my cup of tea.
Hey while I have your attention, the company with the fleet of yellow Volvo’s, was that Brain’s or Brian’s ? I remember Davis and Meacher’s not forgetting Pitters and Jameson’s. Oh yes I remember the movie, it was black and white when I saw it and the TV had a big magnifying glass over the screen to make the picture bigger.
I left the UK over 30 years ago, So I would be completely lost now, And nothing against the mother land, But I have no regrets on moving west. And have never returned back over the pond.
have a great night, take care, talk again.