Tacho question

OK, think I’ve just got my first infringement in ages.

Switched between two trucks and had my break, but card was out during this period and I accidentally entered it as other work when I got in new truck.

I’ve done two print outs and written it on them, but I’m wondering if it was actually an infringement as I switched the truck off before the six hours was up and it defaulted to break for 12 mins. This obv wasn’t enough to register as a 15, but if these 12 mins are subtracted the full period falls just short of six hours.

I guess my question is whether it needs to be a break within the six hour period (obv not including any POA) or whether it’s just six hours of work and the 12 mins of break can be deducted to take it below six hours of work even if they’re not enough to reset the six hours?

12 min break counts as nothing. you need to have 15 mins before 6 hours wroking time which starts when card goes in.
if you dont take 15 mins uninterupted break then you get an infrimgement
not the end of the world though what you did. just rember dont do it again

Tailschwing:
I’ve done two print outs and written it on them, but I’m wondering if it was actually an infringement as I switched the truck off before the six hours was up and it defaulted to break for 12 mins. This obv wasn’t enough to register as a 15, but if these 12 mins are subtracted the full period falls just short of six hours.

Only if you ejected your card straight away. If you changed the mode so did 12 minutes rest then put it on other work or driving then the whole 12 minutes is treated as other work because breaks for WTD and driving only count when in periods at least 15 minutes.

Well you learn something new every day , I always assumed any break came off you wtd hours be it 20/ 35 mins or 5 mins , I’d of thought if the op had 12 mins break he could work for 6 hrs 12 mins before he needed a break
Odd if this is right as I’ve not had any infringements & ive always work it that way , I normally use poa , but have had the odd 10 min break & added it onto wtd hours before needing a break

It is true that breaks of less than 15 minutes don’t count as breaks for WTD purposes - but neither do they count as “work”. They are simply periods where you were not working.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

edd1974:
12 min break counts as nothing. you need to have 15 mins before 6 hours wroking time which starts when card goes in.
if you dont take 15 mins uninterupted break then you get an infrimgement
not the end of the world though what you did. just rember dont do it again

Wrong! 5 hrs 55 mins of driving and work plus 12 minutes break does not exceed the 6 hrs WTD

Roymondo:
It is true that breaks of less than 15 minutes don’t count as breaks for WTD purposes - but neither do they count as “work”. They are simply periods where you were not working.

This ^^^^

@ Tailschwing
To answer your question you need to have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time, in other words you can work right up to 6 hours before having a 15 minute break.

The printout won’t stop you getting an infringement but it explains it and should satisfy the DVSA should you get stopped.

Sent from my mobile.

Cheers for the replies gents.

I’m still a bit unclear though as seem to be several contradicting views.

Let’s say I start at 6am and have my break at 12:15pm. During this time I’ve turned off the engine three times for ten minutes each time, which have defaulted to break. Is this an infringement? I haven’t officially had a 15 min break to reset the six hours, but I’ve also not accrued six hours of other work as the tacho has been on break for 30 mins in total.

Tailschwing:

Let’s say I start at 6am and have my break at 12:15pm. During this time I’ve turned off the engine three times for ten minutes each time, which have defaulted to break. Is this an infringement? I haven’t officially had a 15 min break to reset the six hours, but I’ve also not accrued six hours of other work as the tacho has been on break for 30 mins in total.

Yes you will get an infringement for working over 6 hours .
You have to take a full 15 Mon breakin one hit not split over shorter ones. before 6 hours of work. Taking shorter breaks.doesnt count or do anything .
It’s 6 hours working then a 15 Min break.
If your that way inclined and you stop at a drop off and if takes 10 mins you could just wait untill it ticks over to 15.
Then when you set off same rules above apply 6 hours from when start unless you complete 4 half hours driving 1st

WTD what a joke …a break after 6 hours work no wonder I take no notice of it never have and never will…it is 2022 SIX HOURS WORK BEFORE A BREAK my max was when I feel like one or 2hours no more…this industry is a joke but not funny

Tailschwing:

Question is why is it defaulting straight to rest and why are you, being aware that it reverts to rest automatically, not changing it back? When thd engine goes off, what are you doing in those periods?

To answer your specific question, every ten minute period shown as rest, or POA, effectively ‘stops the 6hr clock’ and you add it on at the end, so yes 3 x10 = 30mins that your 6hr WTD can be extended by. Remember it’s only time spent WORKING (ie driving or other work) that counts towards WTD.

edd1974:

Tailschwing:

You have to take a full 15 Mon breakin one hit not split over shorter ones. before 6 hours of work. Taking shorter breaks.doesnt count or do anything .
If your that way inclined and you stop at a drop off and if takes 10 mins you could just wait untill it ticks over to 15.
Then when you set off same rules above apply 6 hours from when start unless you complete 4 half hours driving 1st

No he won’t get a WTD infringement. While he has been “at work” for 6h15m he has not been working for the whole of that time. Those short (less than 15 minutes) “breaks” don’t count as Breaks for WTD purposes, but neither do they count as Work time.

edd1974:

Tailschwing:

You’re wrong

10 mins recording break will not add 10 mins to the WTD drive/other work time

This would be legal for WTD 6 hour rule
drive 1 hour
break 10 mins
work 1 hour
break 10 mins
drive 1 hour
break 10 mins
work 1 hour
break 10 mins
drive 1 hour
break 10 mins
work 1 hour
break 15 mins

You won’t get an infringement as the 12 mins break means it’s 6h12 before you need a 15 min break. Even if you did go over the 6 hours slightly I wouldn’t bother your arse doing a print out or even giving things like this a second thought. Unless you’ve failed the initial attitude test DVSA won’t bother about the occasional few minutes over, I’ve had some fairly good infringements on my card that they’ve not even mentioned