Job hunting

Anyone on here went straight from Car to C+E and managed to get a Class 1 job, without needing Class 2 experience?

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Not exactly straight from Car to C+E (I did my Class 2 last year and Class 1 in January), but I got a Class 1 job without ever driving a Class 2 vehicle apart from on training and test.

So it can definitely be done.

Goff118:
Not exactly straight from Car to C+E (I did my Class 2 last year and Class 1 in January), but I got a Class 1 job without ever driving a Class 2 vehicle apart from on training and test.

So it can definitely be done.

That’s promising to hear.

I forgot to mention that it is agency work, but I’m sure as long as you can pass a driving assessment at Class 1, you’ll be fine to walk into a job quite quickly.

Goff118:
I forgot to mention that it is agency work, but I’m sure as long as you can pass a driving assessment at Class 1, you’ll be fine to walk into a job quite quickly.

Cheers, just need to find one near me…

Marky-p:

The Best Connection in Basingstoke are taking on HGV Class 1 new passes.

thebestconnection.co.uk/branches/basingstoke

uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=hgv%20clas … 8714734281

carlston49:

Marky-p:

The Best Connection in Basingstoke are taking on HGV Class 1 new passes.

thebestconnection.co.uk/branches/basingstoke

uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=hgv%20clas … 8714734281

I’ve applied for class 1 jobs that advertise ‘new pass accepted’, the ones that get back to me say “we will take newly qualified class 1 if you already have class 2 working experience.”

I will of course continue to apply but a lot of these adverts don’t reveal their true criteria until you speak to them.

Marky-p:
Anyone on here went straight from Car to C+E and managed to get a Class 1 job, without needing Class 2 experience?

Yes. In 1990.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Marky-p:
I’ve applied for class 1 jobs that advertise ‘new pass accepted’, the ones that get back to me say “we will take newly qualified class 1 if you already have class 2 working experience.”

I will of course continue to apply but a lot of these adverts don’t reveal their true criteria until you speak to them

When you’re registered with an agency, the agency sends you to one of their clients for a driving assessment. There is no traditional job application involved.

You won’t have to send any of the agency’s clients your CV, because the agency will already have done the background checks to make sure that you meet their requirements such as having your three cards (driving licence, tacho card, cpc card) and don’t have too many points on your licence (often no more than 6 points), etc.

If you’re a new driver, the agency will only send you to a client who accepts new passes. Most of the clients won’t accept a new pass.

The agency doesn’t decide which clients accept new passes, as that is for the client to decide.

carlston49:

Marky-p:

I will of course continue to apply but a lot of these adverts don’t reveal their true criteria until you speak to them

When you’re registered with an agency, the agency sends you to one of their clients for a driving assessment. There is no traditional job application involved.

You won’t have to send any of the agency’s clients your CV, because the agency will already have done the background checks to make sure that you meet their requirements such as having your three cards (driving licence, tacho card, cpc card) and don’t have too many points on your licence (often no more than 6 points), etc.

If you’re a new driver, the agency will only send you to a client who accepts new passes. Most of the clients won’t accept a new pass.

The agency doesn’t decide which clients accept new passes, as that is for the client to decide.

I’ve now registered with several agencies, will see how I get on.

I’m new to all this agency malarkey.

Did you find work fella?

Only just saw your post, EV Cargo in Thatcham are advertising and will take new drivers - either contact them directly or try speaking to Richard Nice at Aligra in Newbury.

FatLarry68:
Did you find work fella?

Only just saw your post, EV Cargo in Thatcham are advertising and will take new drivers - either contact them directly or try speaking to Richard Nice at Aligra in Newbury.

No work yet mate, got 3 assessments coming up. Thanks for the tip re ev cargo, will look it up.

Good luck with your assessments.

stu675:
Good luck with your assessments.

Cheers

I’ve just signed up with The Best Connection, I’m awaiting a phonecall about an assessment with DHL. Although you can also apply directly with them. I have done that too. Theyre one of the few that seem to accept new passes.

I’m also car-class1, passed my test a month ago. I applied for a job with Maritime, but was unsuccessful. I’m in a decently paid job so I’m not in a rush, but paying £3k for a class 1 licence means I’m keen to find work in the industry soon.

Papaya:
I’ve just signed up with The Best Connection, I’m awaiting a phonecall about an assessment with DHL. Although you can also apply directly with them. I have done that too. Theyre one of the few that seem to accept new passes.

I’m also car-class1, passed my test a month ago. I applied for a job with Maritime, but was unsuccessful. I’m in a decently paid job so I’m not in a rush, but paying £3k for a class 1 licence means I’m keen to find work in the industry soon.

I’ve tried DHL and Maritime already with no luck. Hope you find something soon buddy

I got a job offer with DHL. It was on the Drays delivering to pubs with very small class 1 trucks. Daf LF as a unit and a single axel trailer 11’7" high.
It sounded like too much hard work for me so I didn’t pursue it. Would have been good driving experience though I think

stu675:
I got a job offer with DHL. It was on the Drays delivering to pubs with very small class 1 trucks. Daf LF as a unit and a single axel trailer 11’7" high.
It sounded like too much hard work for me so I didn’t pursue it. Would have been good driving experience though I think

DHL salaries don’t look that attractive mind you

Try to apply to any Stobart job either directly through their website or through their agency called Logistic Peolpe.

I passed my Class 1 at the end of march this year, previously doing Class 2 in 2020, but no driving. Applied for dozens of jobs, and gone to few assesments with no luck. Only Stobart gave me a chance without assesment or whatsoever.

They take people without experience. Put you for around two weeks with a mentor driver and then you mainly drive on your own.

I know that the pay is silly over there, but I was more focused on gaining the experience and then looking for something else.

You can also try XPO/GXO logistics, WS Transportation, Gist or Tuffnells.

Good luck!

Roadkill_Badger:
Try to apply to any Stobart job either directly through their website or through their agency called Logistic Peolpe.

I passed my Class 1 at the end of march this year, previously doing Class 2 in 2020, but no driving. Applied for dozens of jobs, and gone to few assesments with no luck. Only Stobart gave me a chance without assesment or whatsoever.

They take people without experience. Put you for around two weeks with a mentor driver and then you mainly drive on your own.

I know that the pay is silly over there, but I was more focused on gaining the experience and then looking for something else.

You can also try XPO/GXO logistics, WS Transportation, Gist or Tuffnells.

Good luck!

Thank for the tips. Can you say what the pay was at Stobarts?