Coupling order

There are two rules I use as a fail-safe to remove the most common dangerous mistakes during coupling/uncoupling:

1. Before driving after coupling/uncoupling I stand a few yards from the driver’s door towards the rear of the cab. From there you can see that the clip is in, the pipes are on & the legs are up or that the pin is released, the pipes are off & the legs are down. These are the 3 most important safety points of the coupling/uncoupling procedure - all viewable from one position which is on your way to the driver’s seat (RHD).
  2. When I have the red line in position ready to push on, I have to be able to see in my ‘minds eye’ that I put the handbrake on - if I can’t then I get down & check; never compromised on this & never had an outfit run away.

Rule 1 should also be used before driving after being away from the vehicle.
Rule 2 is less relevant now that a lot of trucks give warnings for exiting the cab when the handbrake is off, but no warning does not mean the handbrake is on in every truck.

Of course there is a lot more to do than the above to couple/uncouple correctly but these 2 simple rules will remove the possibility of making the most embarrassing & potentially dangerous errors.

BTW - let’s not forget the number plate. A £100 fine will take away most of the purpose of being at work at all for that day & hand written ones will not save you from the fine.
If you do get caught without one do not say it must have fallen off, as that can lead to a different but more serious charge.