A bit of tacho advice

It’s Siemens in all the trucks.

To be fair, I never even approach maximum driving time. It was purely as a learning curve that I wanted to know for the future. Most of our time is usually installation work. The lorries are only really used to transport the equipment to site and then get home again. WTD is the important one for me.

It’s very rare to do any type of multidrop and there are usually 2 drivers in the cab. I have never got to the end of a second driving session after a 45 minute break so no idea how the tacho behaves after that. All I can see is that once I have taken 45 minutes of break, the tacho zeroes and I cannot see anything that shows my total driving time for the day. Maybe once I get to the end of a 2nd 4.5hr session, it may countdown what I have remaining. Just never got there to find out.

I did do a days training in drivers hours for my CPC, but looking back, it was kind of poor. There was no physical use of a tacho, just shown via slides. Plus all the examples given were using maximum hours. I didn’t know enough about it at the time to even think of asking these questions.