The salaries in this industry

2 weeks training and £2/3000 paid out does not mean you are a lorry driver, if you pass the tests it entitles you to a licence to drive HGVs, that’s when you start learning the job.
It takes years if you want to learn, some don’t want to and they never become skilled lorry drivers with all that entails because they have no interest in the job, we all see them every day of the week performing as expected, most of them resplendent in stitched on hivis whilst behind the wheel :smiling_imp:

Yes there are people in our industry who haven’t progressed beyond new driver standard, but for those who up their game and learn and, dare i say this, actually go out of their way to be professional drivers, it doesn’t take long before those who put some effort in get noticed * and sooner or later the opportunity to move onto better things materialises because the competition just isn’t there, those once dead mans shoes jobs really are up for grabs because even they are finding it hard to recruit the right sort.

It isn’t all ■■■■ poor pay or 80 hour weeks to make a living wage, though agreed those jobs are about and they should be treated as a stepping stone only or an emergency job to keep the wolf from the door, those sorts of jobs do not deserve the better drivers, let them enjoy the fruits of their business practice, wrecked lorries and loads and similar damage to other vehicles and anything else that gets in their way.
There is better out there, so ask yourself what can you do to get your foot in the door.

• new recruit, young former EE chap, polite efficient friendly, takes an interest in fine tuning the way he goes about the job by asking the right questions and listening and is upping his game rapidly, he’s been the subject of very positive reports to management including from yours truly (i believe in pointing out good work above and beyond expectation. Poor workers? well i ain’t a grass and the suits get paid to run the job), he’ll do well where i work and good luck to him.