Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Saturday scenes, Buzzer

Today’s memories are stirred by the Dakin’s Jenson and Seddon line up.
In the early days of our fledgeling business my brother and I did all sorts of stuff including light removals. My parents had sold up in Nottingham when Dad took Mum overseas with his job for a few years and they stored all their more valued furniture with Dakins. When they returned they resettled not in Nottingham but further south near Luton and, of course, wanted to bring their stuff south to their new home.

As the Civil Service was paying, Dad had to get 3 or 4 quotes for the removal and, quite openly included ours. Dad was a stickler for upright behaviour and the rules and took our quote forward without a word or a gesture to us as to how we stood with it. Dakins however were of a more suspicous nature and as we turned up on the agreed rdv time with our signwritten van things turned nasty. They accused us of corrupt practices and despite my protestations (I never even knew that they had been asked to tender) point blank refused to give us the goods. After some hours only Dad on the telephone threatening to sue them (at government expense) for fraudulent conversion, or whatever it was called, persuaded them to let us load up.

Little did I know that some years later, after they had been merged with Stirlands, that I would be working for them. Although the Dakin name may have been dropped by then I don’t know if any Dakin personnel were at Willow road when I started, but nothing was said. :laughing:

A mild coincidence is that that photo was taken outside the war memorial on the Trent Embankment, directly opposite to the flat that my parents bought as a 2nd home many years later. :slight_smile: