JAPS

After reading SDU s comments about the Bedford ‘Isuzu’ it set me wondering about how good or bad were Japanese/Asian lorries ? I’ve never met anyone whose drove one, usually Hino, but there has been the odd comments over the years on here,all seem to be bad. I’m guessing our Antipodean friends will have more experience than us lot but any info would be good Cheers coomsey

I once worked at a place where they had a small Isuzu - it was just a constant stream of problems and spent more time with the fitters than it did with the drivers.

Argos went over to them a few years ago for their home delivery work, the drivers hated them and iirc so did the Transport office.

We started getting Japanese cars and light commercials in the early to mid-sixties. They were very ordinary, a bit unusual and generally unsuited to our different conditions.
As a car mad school boy, I enjoyed the hilariously interpreted owner’s manuals. The first influx of Jap vehicles were bought on price, but the Japanese were in for the long game. Unlike vehicle manufacturers from the rest of the world, Australia included, they lacked the arrogance of the take what you are offered, attitude.
Toyota was a classic example. During the construction of the Snowy Mountains Scheme (1949~1974) light 4x4 were in high demand. Initially only ex-WW ll Jeeps and the recently released Land Rover were available. As the Jeeps wore out, the Land Rovers became the only viable option, due to the favourable import duties from Commonwealth countries. Worldwide, Land Rovers were in greater demand than the factory could output, this created an arrogance that stifled development and fostered an attitude of take what we send.
(Later Sir) Leslie Thiess was a civil contractor on the SMS and frustrated at not being able to secure Land Rovers, looked elsewhere. He privately imported a handful of FJ 25 Land Cruisers. These were far from ideal, but they were available and better than nothing. Toyota sent senior management from Japan to monitor the performance of the cars and reacted quickly to the constructive criticism of the product. Thiess was so impressed with the cooperation, service and price offered by Toyota, that he started a subsidiary company to be the sole importer and distributor of the entire Toyota range.
The rest of the Japanese automotive industry followed suit during the 60s. From the initial offerings of cheap, unsuitable vehicles they quickly developed cars that Australians wanted and marketed them aggressively. E.G. my father bought a 1967 Toyota Custom Crown wagon, a family size station wagon, as standard it had a heater/demister, exterior mirrors, carpets, electric tailgate window, self seeking radio with automatic electric aerial, tinted glass and automatic transmission, all extras, if available on the market leading big three, Holden, Ford and Chrysler.
Trucks followed a few short years later in a remarkably similar manner. When the TK Bedford was superseded, we never got the TM, it was replaced with the TR Isuzu, a crude but robust four tonner (nominal carrying capacity). This was soon replaced by the SBR/JBR four and eight tonners. These were a quantum leap forward in luxury and comfort from any othe offering from International, Dodge or Ford (pretty much the last of the UK manufacturers with the D Series Cargo). Initially all Isuzu products were badged by Bedford, to maintain the link with the respected name.
Eventually only International stood toe to toe with the Japanese invaders. Nissan, UD, Hino (Toyota), Diahatsu and Mazda had joined the frey. International were still numbe one, but only because they offered a robust, Australian designed product in every weight segment. Once Iveco got hold of Inter, they slashed the range and lost the number one position. International is now a mere shadow of its former self, offering only a single model, vocational truck, popular as a tipper, concrete or garbage truck, the only options being 2, 3, 4, or five axles
Without a doubt the Japs dominate the the local, up to 15 tonne GVM sector and have a significant presence in the three axle market.
In the heavy duty and interstate section Western Star and Kenworth are dominant, but Volvo, Scania, Daf and MAN are popular amongst the budget conscious bitumen burners.
Japanese prime movers are relatively rare and the exclusive domain of tight arse farmers and local loading and unloading of linehaul trailers.
To be fair on the old SPR that I previously denigrated, it was expected to fulfill a role for which it was not designed.

Motorcycles, cars, 4x4s? Shed loads of good uns.
…■■..
Earth movers, cranes? Again Komatsu, Hitachi, Toyota, Kubota.

But why the gap?

Star down under.:
We started getting Japanese cars and light commercials in the early to mid-sixties. They were very ordinary, a bit unusual and generally unsuited to our different conditions.
As a car mad school boy, I enjoyed the hilariously interpreted owner’s manuals. The first influx of Jap vehicles were bought on price, but the Japanese were in for the long game. Unlike vehicle manufacturers from the rest of the world, Australia included, they lacked the arrogance of the take what you are offered, attitude.
Toyota was a classic example. During the construction of the Snowy Mountains Scheme (1949~1974) light 4x4 were in high demand. Initially only ex-WW ll Jeeps and the recently released Land Rover were available. As the Jeeps wore out, the Land Rovers became the only viable option, due to the favourable import duties from Commonwealth countries. Worldwide, Land Rovers were in greater demand than the factory could output, this created an arrogance that stifled development and fostered an attitude of take what we send.
(Later Sir) Leslie Thiess was a civil contractor on the SMS and frustrated at not being able to secure Land Rovers, looked elsewhere. He privately imported a handful of FJ 25 Land Cruisers. These were far from ideal, but they were available and better than nothing. Toyota sent senior management from Japan to monitor the performance of the cars and reacted quickly to the constructive criticism of the product. Thiess was so impressed with the cooperation, service and price offered by Toyota, that he started a subsidiary company to be the sole importer and distributor of the entire Toyota range.
The rest of the Japanese automotive industry followed suit during the 60s. From the initial offerings of cheap, unsuitable vehicles they quickly developed cars that Australians wanted and marketed them aggressively. E.G. my father bought a 1967 Toyota Custom Crown wagon, a family size station wagon, as standard it had a heater/demister, exterior mirrors, carpets, electric tailgate window, self seeking radio with automatic electric aerial, tinted glass and automatic transmission, all extras, if available on the market leading big three, Holden, Ford and Chrysler.
Trucks followed a few short years later in a remarkably similar manner. When the TK Bedford was superseded, we never got the TM, it was replaced with the TR Isuzu, a crude but robust four tonner (nominal carrying capacity). This was soon replaced by the SBR/JBR four and eight tonners. These were a quantum leap forward in luxury and comfort from any othe offering from International, Dodge or Ford (pretty much the last of the UK manufacturers with the D Series Cargo). Initially all Isuzu products were badged by Bedford, to maintain the link with the respected name.
Eventually only International stood toe to toe with the Japanese invaders. Nissan, UD, Hino (Toyota), Diahatsu and Mazda had joined the frey. International were still numbe one, but only because they offered a robust, Australian designed product in every weight segment. Once Iveco got hold of Inter, they slashed the range and lost the number one position. International is now a mere shadow of its former self, offering only a single model, vocational truck, popular as a tipper, concrete or garbage truck, the only options being 2, 3, 4, or five axles
Without a doubt the Japs dominate the the local, up to 15 tonne GVM sector and have a significant presence in the three axle market.
In the heavy duty and interstate section Western Star and Kenworth are dominant, but Volvo, Scania, Daf and MAN are popular amongst the budget conscious bitumen burners.
Japanese prime movers are relatively rare and the exclusive domain of tight arse farmers and local loading and unloading of linehaul trailers.
To be fair on the old SPR that I previously denigrated, it was expected to fulfill a role for which it was not designed.

Thats an intresting post “Star down under” :wink:

I knew 2 mechanics that both reckoned Landrovers were unreliable motors. One of these used to do lots of off roading and was in
a club and even used to build his own off roaders from the ground up. He had loads of Landrovers and Range Rovers and ended up
buying a Toyota Landcruiser which he said was a different league with regard to reliability.

The other mechanic told me “you had to carry a tool box” as they always break down. Both were really good mechanics. (not fitters)
It just goes to show what you are saying about Toyota.

Was having a tyre fitted the other week and a fella pulled in with a 4 year old Landrover Discovery which he was telling me had cost
him thousands in repairs. His boss had just bought a brand new Range Rover that cost approx £100,000 and apparently it had been
back in the garage more than he had used it on the road ! :open_mouth:

Was talking to a taxi driver in Singapore and he told me there were 28,000 taxis in 2012 and they were nearly all Toyota Corollas
apart from some Mercedes.

Hino trucks 1976.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hino trucks were excellent for muckshifting work, I think that spares backup wasn’t brilliant though? I believe they liked a drink as well! Longcliffe Quarries have at least one though, as does an OD working from there who previously ran Fodens.

There used to be a saying an Australian friend told me “If you want to go into the desert then buy a Landrover, if you want to come back out again then you had better buy a Toyota”. :slight_smile:

Pete.

windrush:
Hino trucks were excellent for muckshifting work, I think that spares backup wasn’t brilliant though? I believe they liked a drink as well! Longcliffe Quarries have at least one though, as does an OD working from there who previously ran Fodens.

There used to be a saying an Australian friend told me “If you want to go into the desert then buy a Landrover, if you want to come back out again then you had better buy a Toyota”. :slight_smile:

Pete.

Also in the Toyota manual it shows you where on the back to attach the Land Rover to recover it.

DEANB:

Star down under.:

Thats an intresting post “Star down under” :wink:

I knew 2 mechanics that both reckoned Landrovers were unreliable motors. One of these used to do lots of off roading and was in
a club and even used to build his own off roaders from the ground up. He had loads of Landrovers and Range Rovers and ended up
buying a Toyota Landcruiser which he said was a different league with regard to reliability.

The other mechanic told me “you had to carry a tool box” as they always break down. Both were really good mechanics. (not fitters)
It just goes to show what you are saying about Toyota.

Was having a tyre fitted the other week and a fella pulled in with a 4 year old Landrover Discovery which he was telling me had cost
him thousands in repairs. His boss had just bought a brand new Range Rover that cost approx £100,000 and apparently it had been
back in the garage more than he had used it on the road ! :open_mouth:

Was talking to a taxi driver in Singapore and he told me there were 28,000 taxis in 2012 and they were nearly all Toyota Corollas
apart from some Mercedes.

Not a lorry but my 11 year old 1.33 toyota iq is knocking on the door of 170,000 miles, had it from 12 months old, it travels the a14 and m6 4 days a week, problem, 1 battery , and an a/c component had to be changed, i’ve had toyota’s since 1975, my 12 th toyota should be here in a week or 2.
At swift we had a 7.5 tonne isuzu, nqr i think, very tk like even down to the propshaft hand brake, very reliable, and light, did the job,but hard to get anybody in it, when we had euro cargo’s and road runners. But it was a good little motor i thought.

I photographed this Hino in the City of London in May 2007. Did any of you ever drive this model? Anything to tell about it?

Mick George run a few Hino eight wheeler tippers.

So why didn’t Hino do a “Volvo/Scania” over here ? I know they came in through Harris in Ireland , why was that?
Was there an import ban? Now we’ve done a Brexit are they going to start flooding in n do what the Europeans what they did to us? Cheers coomsey

Is it true that the 3 green marker lights on the cab of the early Hinos, gave an indication of the speed they were doing ? . . .
or is that a load of old Horlicks

windrush:

Pete.

Do you remember Bill Warrngton from Yeavley, Pete? An O/D, he ran a Hino artic some years ago, although long since retired now.

Steve

Suedehead:
Is it true that the 3 green marker lights on the cab of the early Hinos, gave an indication of the speed they were doing ? . . .
or is that a load of old Horlicks

Japanese domestic laws 1967 to 2001 required 3 green lights, to indicate speed ranges.

yamada-co.jp/en/blog/detail/63# … %20reasons.

Ste46:

windrush:

Pete.

Do you remember Bill Warrngton from Yeavley, Pete? An O/D, he ran a Hino artic some years ago, although long since retired now.

Steve

Aye Steve, I remember Bill but can’t say that I remember his Hino though.

Pete.

I once bought a brand new diesel Toyota pick up ( rear wheel drive ) Y reg '83 that came from Southern Ireland a great motor ( column change) well after 3 or 4 years the silencer started blowing so I called at our local Toyota Dealers in Morcambe to enquire if they could supply me with a new system " sorry mate that model dosen’t appear on our lists not a UK supplied motor" ! Well our fitters did temp repairs with a couple of bean tins but obviously the problem needed sorting so one day not long after I was at our Tyre Supplier in Morecambe again and next door was a little local Exhaust outlet so in desperation I asked if they could help----- “certainly we’ll have a butchers so lets put it up on the ramp” the Chap was straight underneath and weighed form up for a bit then he disappeared and returned with a complete system ( with an inch of dust on it !) he held it up to the underside and it was identical !!! The one he had brought out was from a 1970’s Cressida which had the identical floor pan to the pick up :open_mouth: !! They reckoned they had had this part in stock for over 10 years and guess what he said I could have it for what they had it priced at all those years ago !!!
I couldn’t resist nipping into the Toyota Dealer to advise them I had got fixed up but I told them that I had a new one flown in from Japan on Flying Tigers air freight no thanks to them !! :wink: Cheers Bewick

windrush:

Ste46:

windrush:

Pete.

Steve

Aye Steve, I remember Bill but can’t say that I remember his Hino though.

Pete.

That’s because he never ran one, he had a bonneted Mack after his Volvo F10 but before his ERF EC11, it was painted light blue, a lot lighter than his Volvo, The ERF was white & the tanker trailer was liveried Ash Resources.

That owd’ bloke from Hilton must have been dreaming after having breathed in so much fresh clean air on his visit to Longford on Sunday Pete

Bewick:
I once bought a brand new diesel Toyota pick up ( rear wheel drive ) Y reg '83 that came from Southern Ireland a great motor ( column change) well after 3 or 4 years the silencer started blowing so I called at our local Toyota Dealers in Morcambe to enquire if they could supply me with a new system " sorry mate that model dosen’t appear on our lists not a UK supplied motor" ! Well our fitters did temp repairs with a couple of bean tins but obviously the problem needed sorting so one day not long after I was at our Tyre Supplier in Morecambe again and next door was a little local Exhaust outlet so in desperation I asked if they could help----- “certainly we’ll have a butchers so lets put it up on the ramp” the Chap was straight underneath and weighed form up for a bit then he disappeared and returned with a complete system ( with an inch of dust on it !) he held it up to the underside and it was identical !!! The one he had brought out was from a 1970’s Cressida which had the identical floor pan to the pick up :open_mouth: !! They reckoned they had had this part in stock for over 10 years and guess what he said I could have it for what they had it priced at all those years ago !!!
I couldn’t resist nipping into the Toyota Dealer to advise them I had got fixed up but I told them that I had a new one flown in from Japan on Flying Tigers air freight no thanks to them !! :wink: Cheers Bewick

those hilux pick ups were indestuctable , where i used to work the bosses mum at their farm used to stick her’s in 1st gear and low, then just walk behind it chucking the feed out for the sheep , but one day it got away from her , ran down the field down an embankment and nose first into a stream , her son just yanked it out with a tractor and it just carried on. i’d love a hilux but a) i’ve no room to park one and b) my missus would probably kill me if i brought one home, i’m making do with a new yaris cross (my 12th toyota)